Pages (2):    1 2
remylass   07-13-2004, 10:42 AM
I also hated Punch Drunk Love. I thought it was really boring.

I really liked Happy Gilmore. It is still my favorite Sandler flick. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of his.
nijimeijer   07-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Hung By The Neck Til Dead Wrote:Sorry Jimbo, but I hated Punch Drunk Love, too much that was filmed didn't make sense.

Have you ever seen analysis of the "finer" points of that film? All the symbology that's present throughout, etc.

I have a difficult enough time getting symbols in other films, or even books. To me, a cigar is most often a cigar, even when the creator means for me to see a tubesock. And when Adam Sandler is involved, my "symbol radar" is completely absent.

Translation? Punch Drunk Love was ass. (to me)

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
jimbow8   07-13-2004, 12:02 PM
nijimeijer Wrote:Have you ever seen analysis of the "finer" points of that film? All the symbology that's present throughout, etc.

I have a difficult enough time getting symbols in other films, or even books. To me, a cigar is most often a cigar, even when the creator means for me to see a tubesock. And when Adam Sandler is involved, my "symbol radar" is completely absent.

Translation? Punch Drunk Love was ass. (to me)
I thought Sandler's performance was outstanding, regardless of what you think of the film. His intimidation scene with the mattress guy and the emotional rollercoaster he was on.... For this alone, I think it is worth seeing.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
nijimeijer   07-13-2004, 12:13 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I thought Sandler's performance was outstanding, regardless of what you think of the film. His intimidation scene with the mattress guy and the emotional rollercoaster he was on.... For this alone, I think it is worth seeing.

Okay, admittedly, I rewound that bit and played it a few times. I'll give you that scene. Big Grin

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
thisisatest   07-13-2004, 08:06 PM
fpw Wrote:This was a pleasant surprise. The trailers had had a reverse effect on me: Convinced me I did not want to see it. I mean, it stars Adam Sandler, and there’s something about him—a smug undertone? an air of self-satisfaction, like I’m Adam Sandler and you’re not? I’m not sure. Whatever it is, it puts me off. But my daughter rented it over the weekend and I got stuck watching it.

To my amazement, I liked it. Sandler didn’t bring a whole lot to the table. Drew Barrymore and the supporting cast were good, but the warm, wry, and clever script made the film. Sometimes great preformances can save a mediocre script, but I suspect this was one of those films where it was all on the page before the first frame was exposed.

Steve D
As you no doubt have read by now, there are mixed feelings regarding Sandler's Punch Drunk Love, which I thought was a moody classic (those of you who didn't get it--don't blame the movie). Anyway, when you get around to renting Eternal Sunshine--that Jim Carrey "weird" film, make it a double-feature and watch it with Punch Drunk Love. You'll be surprized by the two actors whom you don't really like making their respective movie work so well. I, too, am not a big fan of either actor but these are simply two very, very good movies.
Lisa   01-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I finally saw 50 First Dates; they showed it on HBO tonight. I thought it was brilliant. If you're a sucker for romance like I am, I highly recommend it.

Lisa
Dignan   01-07-2005, 04:00 AM
I like Sandler ok, but for some reason Drew Barrymore has really been grating to me lately. Anyway, I have yet to see FFD, but I have seen PDL and agree that it, along with Spanglish( a criminally underrated movie, imo) prove that Sandler is slowly but steadily proving he's got some true acting chops.

Nick Andopolis: Hey, I believe in god, man. I've seen him, I've felt his power! He plays drums for Led Zeppelin and his name is John Bonham, baby! "
- Freaks and Geeks
-------------
Disaffected Youth #1: Hey, there's that cannonball guy. He's cool.
Disaffected Youth #2: Dude, are you being sacrcastic?
Disaffected Youth #1: Man, I don't even know anymore.
- The Simpsons
Pages (2):    1 2