Kenji   05-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Yesterday, after I saw "The Reaping", I had a spare time, so I saw "Stranger than fiction", and I enjoyed it.

Will Ferrell played Harold Crick. He is IRS auditor. He counts his steps to the bus, the number of times he brushes each of his teeth. And he ties his tie in a single knot for saving his time.

One day he heard woman's voice inside his head. That voice narrated Harold's life. Every his moving, every his thinking. But that voice was from Kay Eiffel. She's writing the book, "Death and Taxes". Main character was Harold Crick.

Apparently, this is Will Ferrell's Truman Show. And this is not a typical Will Ferrell movie. At first I thought this is a comedy film, but I was wrong.
He showed a wonderful performance, perfectly comical tone and unsuspected dramatic acting. He reminded me of Chevy Chase.

The supporting cast are equally brilliant. Emma Thompson is perfect as the heavy-smoking melancholic author. Maggie Gyllenhaal is fine character as a girl in bakery. Dustin Hoffman is...well, Dustin Hoffman.

Ending was clearly predictable. Nevertheless, it has worth to see. Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yesterday, after I saw "The Reaping", I had a spare time, so I saw "Stranger than fiction", and I enjoyed it.

Will Ferrell played Harold Crick. He is IRS auditor. He counts his steps to the bus, the number of times he brushes each of his teeth. And he ties his tie in a single knot for saving his time.

One day he heard woman's voice inside his head. That voice narrated Harold's life. Every his moving, every his thinking. But that voice was from Kay Eiffel. She's writing the book, "Death and Taxes". Main character was Harold Crick.

Apparently, this is Will Ferrell's Truman Show. And this is not a typical Will Ferrell movie. At first I thought this is a comedy film, but I was wrong.
He showed a wonderful performance, perfectly comical tone and unsuspected dramatic acting. He reminded me of Chevy Chase.

The supporting cast are equally brilliant. Emma Thompson is perfect as the heavy-smoking melancholic author. Maggie Gyllenhaal is fine character as a girl in bakery. Dustin Hoffman is...well, Dustin Hoffman.

Ending was clearly predictable. Nevertheless, it has worth to see. Wink

It all sounds very good, Kenji, except for the part about the "hard-smoking, melancholic authors." That's fantasy. Everyone knows writers are the happiest-go-lucky crew on Earth. They would =never= abuse anything that would hurt them. In fact, they jump and click their heels like Uncle Scrooge whenever they read their royalty statements. Walk right down to the swankiest restaurants in Manhattan and announce, "Folks, I'm payin' fer yer eats. I just got the #1 non-fiction title on the NYT list! That's right! Hope you'll read it and enjoy it. THE THREE STOOGES SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN IN TINYTOWN. And I'm the author--Torstein Adair!" Just ask Paul if that's not how it works. Paul?

Uh, Paul?
Kenji   05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:It all sounds very good, Kenji, except for the part about the "hard-smoking, melancholic authors." That's fantasy.

Of course I know! This movie is about "Fiction". Big Grin

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Everyone knows writers are the happiest-go-lucky crew on Earth. They would =never= abuse anything that would hurt them. In fact, they jump and click their heels like Uncle Scrooge whenever they read their royalty statements. Walk right down to the swankiest restaurants in Manhattan and announce, "Folks, I'm payin' fer yer eats. I just got the #1 non-fiction title on the NYT list! That's right! Hope you'll read it and enjoy it. THE THREE STOOGES SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN IN TINYTOWN. And I'm the author--Torstein Adair!" Just ask Paul if that's not how it works. Paul?

Uh, Paul?

LOL Big Grin

In this movie, author Kay Eiffel is NOT happiest-go-lucky crew on Earth.
All of her works are unhappy endings. Main characters always die at the ending. Because she's always wishing suicide herself.
Susan   05-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Kenji Wrote:Yesterday, after I saw "The Reaping", I had a spare time, so I saw "Stranger than fiction", and I enjoyed it.

Kenji, I agree. I thought it was very well written and well done. The strangest thing was seeing Will Ferrell acting serious. LOL.

Susan

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Kenji   05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Susan Wrote:Kenji, I agree. I thought it was very well written and well done. The strangest thing was seeing Will Ferrell acting serious. LOL.

Susan

Hahaha! I totally agree with you! Big Grin

Susan! You are today's queen of comedy! Wink
Scott Miller   06-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I watched it last night and it is thoroughly enjoyable; a nice blend of comedy, drama and romance. All the actors turned in fine performances and Ferrell handled himself well in a reserved role. It won't blow you away, but you'll be entertained.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
bones weep tedium   06-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I watched it last night and it is thoroughly enjoyable; a nice blend of comedy, drama and romance. All the actors turned in fine performances and Ferrell handled himself well in a reserved role. It won't blow you away, but you'll be entertained.

I was blown away! Wink

We rented this film based on the trailer, thinking it was some sort of stupid Bruce Almighty-ish trashy cheap little comedy film (little did we know. . . ! ) We only wanted something entertaining to watch with our dinner, and the film even starts that way before getting really sad (my partner put aside her dinner and grabbed the tissue box instead Rolleyes )

I was most impressed by Will Ferrel. I've only ever seen him in dodgey comedies before, and I was never really that impressed by him. But he turns in a really sensitive performance in this film, and I definitely agree he was a bit like Chevy Chase. Reminded me a lot of Chase's performance in The Memoirs Of An Invisible Man.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Marc   06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I just saw this film too and was very impressed with it. Not nearly as funny as I thought it would be. Ferrell, like Carrey before him, proves he is more than a comedian. Definitely worth watching.