Pages (2): 1 2   
bones weep tedium   03-29-2007, 10:58 AM
[Image: Rakosh.jpg]

Another doodle from my sketchbook. I drew this in 10 minutes in front of the TV earlier on, and spent the last 2hrs or so painting it. Thought it'd be cool to share it with you and hear your feedback!

Is anything wrong with my depiction of a Rakosh? I know there are some people in this group who have an ecyclopaedic knowledge of Repairman Jack, so if I have made any obvious errors I would love to hear them. I remember that the Rakosh are described as having shark like heads, but I really struggled early on trying to draw a shark-shape head that didnt look like a Teenage Mutant Turtle! Big Grin

I'd also like to do an illustration of a scene from one of the Repairman Jack books, and at the moment I'm thinking about the rooftop fight in The Tomb. Any suggestions/requests of action packed scenes would be welcomed.
This post was last modified: 03-29-2007, 11:25 AM by bones weep tedium.
Sourdoughs   03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Tough to argue right or wrong with a depiction, and that's some good work. Personally I've picture a bit more shark-like head (longer snout, I guess, not so much head on top?) and the color being a bit more steel-blue. The rest is great - slim, lithe body, triple-talons (are these long enough to grip something?).

Nice job! 10 minutes? Damn!

-MarcC
bones weep tedium   03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Sourdoughs Wrote:Tough to argue right or wrong with a depiction, and that's some good work. Personally I've picture a bit more shark-like head (longer snout, I guess, not so much head on top?) and the color being a bit more steel-blue. The rest is great - slim, lithe body, triple-talons (are these long enough to grip something?).

Nice job! 10 minutes? Damn!

-MarcC

You're right about the snout, I will definitely need to work on that -- no point doing an illustration of a Rakosh if you're gonna take artistic license with one of it's three main features. Sad What a muppet!

I appreciate your point about the talons as well; they are much more like fingernails than huge evil talons.

Next time I'll spend longer than 10 minutes on the initial drawing and incorporate all of your points!
webby   03-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Very nice drawing, Bones. The blood splatters really enhance the effect. Big Grin

I gotta agree with Marc C's feedback - the head, talons and color are bit off from the description in the book. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.

Another member posted a drawing of a rakosh a while back. Here's a link to it if you want to look: http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showp...stcount=44, but it's understandable if you don't want to be influenced by someone else's interpretation.

BTW - I'd love to see your depiction of the rooftop scene!

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bones weep tedium   03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
webby Wrote:Very nice drawing, Bones. The blood splatters really enhance the effect. Big Grin

I gotta agree with Marc C's feedback - the head, talons and color are bit off from the description in the book. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.

Another member posted a drawing of a rakosh a while back. Here's a link to it if you want to look: http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showp...stcount=44, but it's understandable if you don't want to be influenced by someone else's interpretation.

BTW - I'd love to see your depiction of the rooftop scene!

I checked out the thread you reccommended. Is that the proper colour for a Rakosh? I do seem to remember them being described as 'cobalt', but because of the way the cover of my edition of The Tomb was coloured I have always pictured them as being green.
webby   03-29-2007, 12:06 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:I checked out the thread you reccommended. Is that the proper colour for a Rakosh? I do seem to remember them being described as 'cobalt', but because of the way the cover of my edition of The Tomb was coloured I have always pictured them as being green.

Yes, they are specifically described as being cobalt blue. Of course, no one says you can't take artistic liberties. On the cover of The Last Rakosh, Scarlip's coloring is a "Thing"-like orange. [Image: shrug.gif]

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dave F   03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
I think it looks great, you have a fantastic talent there

I agree with the other comments on head shape, colour etc, but the physique is fantastic - looks really sleek & powerful.

Personally I would love to see Giger do an interpretation of a Rakosh - I love his work
This post was last modified: 03-29-2007, 08:00 PM by Dave F.

The artist formally known as Britfan
Sourdoughs   03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Britfan Wrote:I think it looks great, you have a fantastic talent there

I agree with the other comments on head shape, colour etc, but the physique is fantastic - looks really sleek & powerful.

Personally I would love to see Giger do an interpretaion of a Rakosh - I love his work

Man, that's a great thought - a Giger depiction of a Rakosh! I like his stuff too.
Auskar   03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
That's better than just some fanart. Loved it.
Ken Valentine   03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
webby Wrote:BTW - I'd love to see your depiction of the rooftop scene!

Here's another board members depiction of a Rakosh:
Pages (2): 1 2