Maggers   07-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Ken (KRW) and I are having a friendly debate. Should we or should we not discuss "Freak Show?" Care to weigh in?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ken (KRW) and I are having a friendly debate. Should we or should we not discuss "Freak Show?" Care to weigh in?

For my two cents,(probably worth half that Big Grin )
The reasoning was, Freakshow is so much the Otherness. The whole book is about it. I thought it would be fun to allude to it to peak everyone elses interest! You know, to be in the know!
Discuss or not, I'm a happy camper, and have a few insights of my own.

KRW
Maggers   07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a favorite of all the "Freak Show" stories. I was also wondering how many people have actually read FS.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Anders Monsen   07-21-2005, 01:35 AM
I read Freak Show, but several years ago. When I watched parts of the first season of HBO's "Carnivale," I felt a frisson run through my spine and remembered parts of FREAK SHOW.

Speaking of associational items, anyone read the riff on "Faces" (see Night Visions 6) from MoJo Press' WEIRD BUSINESS? I believe it was called "Trolling." Cool little story. I now see that THE KEEP also is being adapted for the graphic story world.
Keith the Elder   07-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Maggers Wrote:I was wondering if anyone had a favorite of all the "Freak Show" stories. I was also wondering how many people have actually read FS.

Possible spoilers:

Haven't read FS for several years, But the guy with the Belt Buckle, when he's talking with the cows, LOL moment on the metro!

Most disturbing/heartbreaking to me was the guy with neurofibromatosis (?) believing he has found friendship and acceptance only to be exploited like he was. I cried.

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Maggers   07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FREAK SHOW
Keith the Elder Wrote:Possible spoilers:

Haven't read FS for several years, But the guy with the Belt Buckle, when he's talking with the cows, LOL moment on the metro!

Most disturbing/heartbreaking to me was the guy with neurofibromatosis (?) believing he has found friendship and acceptance only to be exploited like he was. I cried.

Keith,
Those 2 are my favs, also. "Seniorita Gato" was the catgirl who fell for the rodeo boy who could talk to the cattle. Fabulous. And poor Benjamin, I really felt for Benjamin, too.

I also loved the story of the blind guy with wings and his little dog like friend would could see for him. That did make me cry.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

APhew   07-21-2005, 03:51 PM
****Possible Spoilers for the Dan Simmons story in "Freak Show"****

I really enjoyed "Elm Haven, IL" by Dan Simmons. It took me back to the town of "Summer of Night" some years later and just sent shivers through me the whole way through. I read it before he published "A Winter Haunting", so it was a real treat to revisit this town.
Maggers   07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
APhew Wrote:****Possible Spoilers for the Dan Simmons story in "Freak Show"****

I really enjoyed "Elm Haven, IL" by Dan Simmons. It took me back to the town of "Summer of Night" some years later and just sent shivers through me the whole way through. I read it before he published "A Winter Haunting", so it was a real treat to revisit this town.

Is that the story of Benjamin?

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   03-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Maggers Wrote:Is that the story of Benjamin?

Yes it was! Wink

My favorite was the constantly pregnant freak with the spiderbaby. Very funny. If I get time I'm going to look up some of the authors and see what they've done since then.