Kenji   02-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Yesterday I got one DVD, and I was searching it for a long time as Sheckley fan. It's an Italian film, the title is "La Decima vittima", also known as "The 10th Victim". Have you seen this movie?

Set in the 21st century, this movie depicts a society in which population control is facilitated by the use of legalized murder. That game is instead of wars. Because of the murder game, there are no wars in the world. But the game has rules.

1. Participation is free. Competitors are chosen by computer as hunter and victim.

2. Hunter have a gun, and hunter can kill victim. Victim only run away. Somehow if victim could kill the hunter, victim is winner.

3. If victim won, next time victim is turn to hunter. If hunter won, next time hunter is turn to victim.

4. If competitor won 10 times, ultimate honor and enormous wealth are given to him.

In this movie, Marcello Mastroianni played Marcello who won 9 times. Ursula Andress played Caroline.

If this is present Hollywood movie, it'll be dark future world. But it was an Italian film, and it was made in '60s. Colorful, psychedelic fashions and furniture, a fancy pop music by Piero Piccioni. Someone says "Battle Royale's original is this movie", but I don't think so. "The 10th Victim" is not bloody violence. And nobody's forced to participate to the game. It's free. But I don't want to participate to it.

I felt scary. Even if there are no wars in the world, the game itself is scary matter. But the movie is funny and hysterical!
Kenji   02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Hmm......nobody saw this movie? Check next one scene. I'm sure you want to see entire film. Especially, for men. :p

The 10th Victim
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Kenji Wrote:Hmm......nobody saw this movie? Check next one scene. I'm sure you want to see entire film. Especially, for men. :p

The 10th Victim

I've never seen the film, but I seem to recall it was a =great= short story by Sheckley. And didn't he expand it into a much less successful novel?
Kenji   02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I've never seen the film, but I seem to recall it was a =great= short story by Sheckley. And didn't he expand it into a much less successful novel?

You're right, Mike.

Original short story is "Seventh Victim", and movie was based on it. "The 10th Victim" is novelization. I like both versions. Both version's twisted endings were very entertaining. Smile
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Kenji Wrote:You're right, Mike.

Original short story is "Seventh Victim", and movie was based on it. "The 10th Victim" is novelization. I like both versions. Both version's twisted endings were very entertaining. Smile

Kenji, I will never forget the shock I felt reading the final line of "The 7th Victim"! A friend whose opinion I trust advised me to pass on the novel, but if you recommend it, I will try to find a copy.
Biggles   02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Kenji Wrote:Hmm......nobody saw this movie? Check next one scene. I'm sure you want to see entire film. Especially, for men. :p

The 10th Victim

All you had to say was "Ursula Andress" and you had me! Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   02-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Biggles Wrote:All you had to say was "Ursula Andress" and you had me! Big Grin

Hee-hee! Hear you talkin', brother!
Biggles   02-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Hee-hee! Hear you talkin', brother!

Shall we say that the biplane fighters drew me into "The Blue Max", but Ursula kept my interest. It sure as Hell wasn't George Peppard's "acting".

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Auskar   02-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Biggles Wrote:All you had to say was "Ursula Andress" and you had me! Big Grin
Then you have to watch "Slave of the Cannibal God"... (at least one scene from the movie).

[Image: cannibal_god1.jpg]
This post was last modified: 02-28-2007, 04:33 AM by Auskar.
Kenji   02-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Kenji, I will never forget the shock I felt reading the final line of "The 7th Victim"! A friend whose opinion I trust advised me to pass on the novel, but if you recommend it, I will try to find a copy.

Nice! Big Grin

I also recommend his "Mindswap" to you. Today I finished reading it, and it was hilarious fantastic SF novel.