Pages (3):    1 2 3   
GeraldRice   02-02-2007, 02:09 PM
I had two BMX dirt bikes when I was little, but before those I had a green, banana seat, Schwinn, I think it was.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Blake   02-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Silverfish Wrote:If it's a boy's bike, you could have baseball cards attached to the spokes of the wheels, so they make noise when you ride.

I can't speak for every neighborhood, but I know we didn't do the baseball card thing in the early '80s where I lived at the time (Orange County). I never saw such a thing, but I read/heard about it having been done before I was born, e.g., in the '50s. See Stephen King's It for an example.

I had a Huffy at that age, but I think the BMX was more popular, as others have said. The last time I saw my Huffy was ages ago, but I was astonished at how heavy it was compared to a modern, adult-size mountain bike.

I assume this is for the YA RJ novel?

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
jimbow8   02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Blake Wrote:I assume this is for the YA RJ novel?

Blake
I don't know. DO you assume that? Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Lisa   02-02-2007, 02:54 PM
BMX for boys and Huffy or Schwinn banana seat bikes with the handlebar streamers for girls. Look at me, I've got THREE speeds! Woot!
Scott Hajek   02-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Lisa Wrote:BMX for boys and Huffy or Schwinn banana seat bikes with the handlebar streamers for girls. Look at me, I've got THREE speeds! Woot!

BMX is a style of bike, whereas Huffy and Schwinn are brands. Plus, banana seats were not exclusive to girls bikes. A friend had a yellow banana seat with a speedometer that he got up to 35 mph downhill. It was a Schwinn, of course.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
GeraldRice   02-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Isn't BMX a Huffy?

I had a black and gold one. It was sweeeeeeet. I got suckered into letting some douchebag steal it from me. It was me and another boy from my street. These two boys we'd never seen before came up to us while we were rounding the corner into the alley and said they could show us how to pop a wheelie on our bikes. Like suckers we believed them and they popped wheelies as they rode off on our bikes. We gave chase for about half the length of the alley until we were far enough behind them to realize we weren't catching up.

Dejected, I cut through a yard and walked back home. After about twenty minutes I got up the courage to tell my mama I was foolish enough to let someone steal my bike and instead of her blowing up at me she was so angry at what they'd done that she took me out and bought me a 2nd one. That was one of those times when feeling bad really paid off.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
jimbow8   02-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:BMX is a style of bike, whereas Huffy and Schwinn are brands.
That's what I thought also.
Quote:Plus, banana seats were not exclusive to girls bikes. A friend had a yellow banana seat with a speedometer that he got up to 35 mph downhill. It was a Schwinn, of course.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Auskar   02-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I got this from a web site called Cool Movie Trivia:
http://www.cool-movie-trivia.com/Questio..._12_03.htm

Question: I want to know what kind of bicycle Elliott rode on in the movie "ET". It appeared to be a popular bike when the movie was released. THANKS.

Answer: The bicycles were originally supposed to be Schwinns, but the (Schwinn) company didn't want to be involved with the movie production. (Two words: big mistake). In it's place, Kuwahara's were used- supplied from the Japanese bicycle company. I remember always wanting a 'Kuwie' about the time the film was released, but I wasn't aware at that time that it was the E.T bicycle. Here's a link detailing the whole process of how they got the bikes and what kind of special versions they constructed for the movie:

http://www.cinefex.com/et/et21.html
Blake   02-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:BMX is a style of bike, whereas Huffy and Schwinn are brands.

It's been so long that I think I'd forgotten that. I think you're right. In hindsight, I wonder if my Huffy Pro Thunder was considered a BMX bike. I think it was too inexpensive to be a real racing bike, but it had the look of one for the time. If I remember rightly, mine was blue and gold with blue tires. I loved that bike when I was about nine. I haven't thought about it for ages....

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
saynomore   02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
So, young Jack will be riding a BMX, eh?

AC
Pages (3):    1 2 3