Pages (2): 1 2   
lostinthot   01-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Before I really say anything I'm totally a newb and have very little idea of how this all works. I tried looking at how the books fit together and it gave me a headache ^_^;
I've read the repairman jack novels and just finished reading Harbingers and I'm sorry if I missed it or it's been said somewhere but is there going to be more repairman jack novels? I've read that they are leading up to the Adversary Cycle, (sorry if this is wrong) but how do these tie together? Do we find out what happened to Tom? Does the war continue somewhere else? Is there a book that tells who wins? I love these books and have questions but even if someone could point me in the right direction (like a previous post or such) it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Big Grin
Auskar   01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
lostinthot Wrote:Before I really say anything I'm totally a newb and have very little idea of how this all works. I tried looking at how the books fit together and it gave me a headache ^_^;
I've read the repairman jack novels and just finished reading Harbingers and I'm sorry if I missed it or it's been said somewhere but is there going to be more repairman jack novels? I've read that they are leading up to the Adversary Cycle, (sorry if this is wrong) but how do these tie together? Do we find out what happened to Tom? Does the war continue somewhere else? Is there a book that tells who wins? I love these books and have questions but even if someone could point me in the right direction (like a previous post or such) it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Big Grin

There are some people that understand it very well, and I'm not one of them. However, if I explain what I know, maybe someone will explain things in more detail afterward. That way we'll both learn more.

There are (I think) five books in the Adversary cycle, beginning with The Keep and ending with Nightworld. Exactly what is in them, I don't know but you get an idea perhaps, from the type of "Indifferent vs. Other" battles that Jack faces in his novels. Evidently, Repairman Jack is one of the characters in Nightworld, which is the culminating novel of the Adversary Cycle.

There are (I think) ten books in the Repairman Jack series SO FAR. It is a continuing series and I assume that, as long as it earns an income and sells books, there will be more. The RJ novels are stand-alone, but you do learn more about the character in each novel and it helps to actually read them in order. Basically, you could probably consider the RJ novels to be a monstrous back-story for Jack, whose appearance in Nightworld must be of some significance (especially in the rewritten version).
lostinthot   01-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Ah ok. So does anyone know of another book being written or coming out? Or would it be better just for me to start reading the adversary cycle
Marc   01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
lostinthot Wrote:Ah ok. So does anyone know of another book being written or coming out? Or would it be better just for me to start reading the adversary cycle

Bloodline will be out later this year.
cobalt   01-28-2007, 11:24 PM
lostinthot Wrote:Ah ok. So does anyone know of another book being written or coming out? Or would it be better just for me to start reading the adversary cycle
Welcome Lostinthot.
I suggest you read the Adversary Cycle. You'll get a better understanding of ole Rasalom. You'll see how evil he can be and what he is capable of in many forms and deeds. You'll also discover other bits of useful info that will help make the story meld together.

The next book, Bloodline is set to be released soon. Check the links to pre-order.
This post was last modified: 01-28-2007, 11:27 PM by cobalt.

EWMAN
Ken Valentine   01-28-2007, 11:41 PM
lostinthot Wrote:Before I really say anything I'm totally a newb and have very little idea of how this all works. I tried looking at how the books fit together and it gave me a headache ^_^;

If you're referring to the site, I too had quite a few problems with it at first. I attribute those problems to a combination of inexperience with computers, and geezerhood . . . geezerness? . . . geezeridity?

Quote:I've read the repairman jack novels and just finished reading Harbingers and I'm sorry if I missed it or it's been said somewhere but is there going to be more repairman jack novels?

Yes. Harbingers is the tenth novel in the series, and the eleventh novel -- which will be published later this year -- will be entitled BLOODLINE. I gather that there will be about fourteen RJ novels in all, and then FPW intends to write a series of YA (Young Adult) RJ stories. These will be stories about a much younger Jack, and will tell of his early adventures and of how he came to be the "Repairman."

Quote:I've read that they are leading up to the Adversary Cycle, (sorry if this is wrong) but how do these tie together? Do we find out what happened to Tom? Does the war continue somewhere else? Is there a book that tells who wins? I love these books and have questions but even if someone could point me in the right direction (like a previous post or such) it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Big Grin

Actually, the RJ novels parallel the Adversary Cycle -- the second half of it anyway.

It works like this:

In chronological order -- which isn't published order -- the first book is THE KEEP. It takes place in 1941.

The Second book is REBORN, which -- If I remember correctly -- takes place in 1968.

The next novel in the series is REPRISAL (which happens a number of years after REBORN, brings back a character in REBORN, and covers a period of about five years) . . . and while this is going on, THE TOMB, THE TOUCH, and the rest of the RJ novels are taking place elswhere.

Finally, everything comes together in NIGHTWORLD.

THE TOMB is the first of the Repairman Jack (RJ) novels, and is part of the Adversary Cycle.

After THE TOMB (in the RJ series) comes LEGACIES. Then there is CONSPIRACIES, ALL THE RAGE, HOSTS, THE HAUNTED AIR, GATEWAYS, CRISSCROSS, INFERNAL, HARBINGERS, and the soon-to-be-published BLOODLINE. These books should really be read in that order.

As to what happens to Tom, whether the war continues elswhere, and who wins . . . we don't know. Paul has definitely stated that he will not write a follow-up novel to NIGHTWORLD. So, I expect that this will be left up to our imaginations. (As for Tom, there are still a few RJ novels to come, so we don't know yet.)

Something to watch for: when you read THE TOUCH, remember the names of the characters . . . and things like the kind of cars they drive. You will find mention of them in ALL THE RAGE . . . but you have to look closely.

Paul has this fascinating quirk; he loves to put little things mentioned in other books into the RJ novels. Like one of the houses in LEGACIES -- it's the same house that was used in another, non-RJ novel. When you read VIRGIN, you'll notice that the same Church is used in an RJ novel as well.

There are lots of fascinating little links between novels, and discovering them is part of the fun that he provides for us fanatics.

By-the-way . . . welcome to the board.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 01-28-2007, 11:46 PM by Ken Valentine.
Kenji   01-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Welcome to the board, lostinthot.

Some members already explained to you. Summarily says, AC(except Nightworld)-->The Touch-->RJ-->Nightworld.

Enjoy your reading! Big Grin
Dave F   01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Yes. Harbingers is the tenth novel in the series, and the eleventh novel -- which will be published later this year -- will be entitled BLOODLINE. I gather that there will be about fourteen RJ novels in all, and then FPW intends to write a series of YA (Young Adult) RJ stories. These will be stories about a much younger Jack, and will tell of his early adventures and of how he came to be the "Repairman."

Actually, the RJ novels parallel the Adversary Cycle -- the second half of it anyway.

It works like this:

In chronological order -- which isn't published order -- the first book is THE KEEP. It takes place in 1941.

The Second book is REBORN, which -- If I remember correctly -- takes place in 1968.

The next novel in the series is REPRISAL (which happens a number of years after REBORN, brings back a character in REBORN, and covers a period of about five years) . . . and while this is going on, THE TOMB, THE TOUCH, and the rest of the RJ novels are taking place elswhere.

Finally, everything comes together in NIGHTWORLD.

THE TOMB is the first of the Repairman Jack (RJ) novels, and is part of the Adversary Cycle.

After THE TOMB (in the RJ series) comes LEGACIES. Then there is CONSPIRACIES, ALL THE RAGE, HOSTS, THE HAUNTED AIR, GATEWAYS, CRISSCROSS, INFERNAL, HARBINGERS, and the soon-to-be-published BLOODLINE. These books should really be read in that order.

Ken V.

Re the chronology Reprisal takes place just after Harbingers (Rasalom gives this away with something he says in Harbingers)

The Touch is yet to happen

If you read the Adversary Cycle you also need to know there are 2 versions of Nightworld - the original in which RJ is a relatively minor player, and a new version rewritten to include what has happened so far in the RJ books & to increse RJs involvement.

You can also get the last rakosh, a short story that was pretty much included in All the Rage.

If you like RJ there is a short story in Barrens & Others (FPW short story anthology), Thriller (New anthology of todays major thriller writers) and one you can download from Amazon if you are in US.

Oh and welcome to the board

The artist formally known as Britfan
webby   01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Britfan Wrote:Re the chronology Reprisal takes place just after Harbingers (Rasalom gives this away with something he says in Harbingers)

You meant Reprisal takes place just before Harbingers, right? Wink

And welcome, lostinthot, from me too.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dave F   01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
webby Wrote:You meant Reprisal takes place just before Harbingers, right? Wink

And welcome, lostinthot, from me too.

Well actually before & after (I think!)

pages 188, 211 & 212, the early part of reprisal is 4 years before Harbingers, the end of reprisal must be after Harbingers - see page 211 - R is still unaware G is now an old man

[/url]

[Image: 36_1_65.gif]

[URL="http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxpt298KSGB"]http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxpt298KSGB
This post was last modified: 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM by Dave F.

The artist formally known as Britfan
Pages (2): 1 2