Pages (3): 1 2 3   
Scott Miller   07-05-2004, 02:11 PM
You've told us about your writing process, but what of your environment? Where do you write? time of day? music? What about your note-taking process? Are paper and pen within constant reach or do you rely on that steel-trap memory? Finally, and I know you're busy, but are you working on anything other than the RJ books?

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   07-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:You've told us about your writing process, but what of your environment? Where do you write? time of day? music?

I write in my office over my garage. My computer is on a new desk. I keep an old computer-free rolltop for editing hardcopy.

I'm usually up at 6 and at the keyboard with coffee shortly thereafter. I start with my email, then this site, then the Astronomy Picture of the Day, and then I launch Word and get to work.

No music. Too distracting. I start trying to figure the chord structure. Next thing you know I've got the guitar and I'm trying to pick it out.

Scott Miller Wrote:What about your note-taking process? Are paper and pen within constant reach or do you rely on that steel-trap memory?

More like a steel sieve memory. I jot things down when they occur to me. If I don't, it's gone. And I do mean GONE.

Scott Miller Wrote:Finally, and I know you're busy, but are you working on anything other than the RJ books?

No. I'm kicking some ideas around but concentrating on Infernal.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Animagess   07-05-2004, 03:54 PM
While we're on interrogating- uh, questioning Mr. Wilson, I'm curious about how far Jack's attitude towards technology reflects his own. Me, I think faster than I write, so typing speeds up the creative process considerably...

"You gotta tell everyone, Hatcher! Soylent green is PEOPLE!!"

My witty similes will spread across the world like creamy peanut butter.
XiaoYu   07-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I defintely think faster than I can scribble too; besides, sometimes I can't read my own handwriting so that doesn't help out.

I was wondering, Jack has lots of danger-filled scenes and fighting. Do you visualize scenes in your head to see how to describe it? (Like Jack's roof edge dodge from the rushing Mother rakosh; I still have a hard time seeing that one in my head, maybe because I haven't been on many apartment rooftops.) I'm assuming your knowledge of human anatomy must come in handy when it comes to injuries and Jack inflicting or receiving them. But in violent and actiony scenes with specific kicks and punches and fighting or escape sequences...where do you get your inspiriation? Like kidney punches; I had no idea what they were before I read the Jack books. 'Hacking the Hand' is another of the incidents that come to mind; I loved that part! But unless you were a hacker in your yesteryears, I suppose you had to research about that?

[SIZE="1"]To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." -- Sun Zi
===========================
[COLOR="Green"]Django: This is the way things are; you can't change nature.
Remy: Change IS nature, Dad. The part that we can influence. And it starts when we decide.
Django: Where are you going?
Remy: With luck, forward.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"]"The thing I treasure most in life / Cannot be taken away..."[/SIZE]
Biggles   07-05-2004, 09:42 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE=3]
I'm usually up at 6 and at the keyboard with coffee shortly thereafter. I start with my email, then this site, then the Astronomy Picture of the Day, and then I launch Word and get to work.

At the risk of sounding like a sycophant (as opposed to merely a psycho), I think that you have stated, in a nutshell, why your fans are more devoted than those of other authors. To me (and I am sure to others on this board who have met you) you are not just a "best-selling author". You are a person who has contributed to society, and who is worthy of knowing and befriending, outside of your creative efforts. By that, I don't mean to degrade authors who only write, because every word that is written is a benefit to anyone who derives something from it. Rather, I think a person who contributes in a tangible way to the betterment of mankind, then in his "spare" time provides entertainment, or food for thought, to others, provides an enhanced benefit to those around him. Your interaction with those who appreciate your work should be a model for other artists.

Anyway, I don't expect you to necessarily agree with me, but I am sure that many of my boardmates will.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Lisa   07-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Are you nuts, Biggles? I only like him because he sends me free stuff. If Robin Cook sent me free stuff, I'd be all over his first edition hardbacks like a whore on a sailor. And I *KNOW* ol' sly Rob's a REAL doctor because he poses in his doctor coat for his back covers. Have you seen FPW in a doctor coat lately? He's all about that false modesty I tell ya. Betterment of mankind, indeed.

Jeez, he's really got you guys snowed.

Lisa (FPW's publicity agent)

P.S. -- On a more serious note, if you see a novel called "Shock" by the afore-mentioned Mr. Cook, I recommend turning and walking in the opposite direction. Do not approach the novel. In the event that you accidentally find yourself reading the novel, do not read any paragraphs beginning "He stared with unseeing eyes out the window as he thought about..." or "It was a lovely day in the quaint New England town..." In the event (approximately five times per chapter) that the two female leads high five each other or use the antiquated term "coed," remain calm. Do not throw novel at innocent bystanders. Mr. Cook shall not be held responsible for any mental or bodily injury caused by reading this novel, even though he should be.
nijimeijer   07-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Biggles Wrote:Anyway, I don't expect you to necessarily agree with me, but I am sure that many of my boardmates will.

It is awesome. The only other author (who is not on this board, at least) I've ever electronically corresponded with is Jack McDevitt, a sifi author. Out of the blue, I decided to email him once to let him know how much I absolutely needed his latest novel, or else I would die of no-Jack-McDevitt-novel-itis. To my surprise (and delight), he responded within a few hours, and to this day, anytime we've emailed each other, he responds within a few hours.

Now, this makes it sound as if his major quality in this respect is promptness: untrue. He actually takes time to chat in his emails--no form letters there. Nice guy.

Throughout our history there are those ghosts
Compelled to illustrate our dreams and hopes
Victors hang in pictures, losers from ropes.
Regardless they all swing in the same boat.
Nietzsche Pops   07-06-2004, 03:26 AM
I know I'm a newbie on the board. Which by definition means my opinion is worth less than donkey spit, but I had an observation about FPW's writing that I wondered if anyone else had noticed before now.

My observation is this. Mr. Wilson's writing seems to have improved, or at the very least maintained a similarly strong level, over the past few Repairman Jack novels that I have read.

I have been reading FPW's other works in the Adversary series as I find them at used bookstores/flea markets/book burnings (sorry...I can't afford fresh books...except All the Rage, which I bought at a Books-a-Million...I have recommended you to lots of other people, however. Big Grin ), and it is my highly subjective opinion that his writing style seems to have improved over the years.

I am most impressed by the degree of imagination that FPW brings to his books. He isn't repeating the same plot over and over again. To me, this indicates that F. Paul will be producing quality work for awhile. Unlike several other writers that I could name who started off very well, but who now seem to have lost some essential quality that allows them to produce good work.

Anyone else had similar thoughts? Or have I called it totally wrong? Is he worse now than, say, ten years ago? As I say, I haven't read all of his older material and have a limited basis for comparison.

Also, does anyone find it disconcerting to know that the guy who writes the books might actually be reading your comments? Smile
jimbow8   07-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Nietzsche Pops Wrote:I know I'm a newbie on the board. Which by definition means my opinion is worth less than donkey spit, but I had an observation about FPW's writing that I wondered if anyone else had noticed before now.

My observation is this. Mr. Wilson's writing seems to have improved, or at the very least maintained a similarly strong level, over the past few Repairman Jack novels that I have read.

I have been reading FPW's other works in the Adversary series as I find them at used bookstores/flea markets/book burnings (sorry...I can't afford fresh books...except All the Rage, which I bought at a Books-a-Million...I have recommended you to lots of other people, however. Big Grin ), and it is my highly subjective opinion that his writing style seems to have improved over the years.

I am most impressed by the degree of imagination that FPW brings to his books. He isn't repeating the same plot over and over again. To me, this indicates that F. Paul will be producing quality work for awhile. Unlike several other writers that I could name who started off very well, but who now seem to have lost some essential quality that allows them to produce good work.

Anyone else had similar thoughts? Or have I called it totally wrong? Is he worse now than, say, ten years ago? As I say, I haven't read all of his older material and have a limited basis for comparison.

Also, does anyone find it disconcerting to know that the guy who writes the books might actually be reading your comments? Smile
Might actually be reading your comments? I guarantee he is reading your comments!

Welcome to the board, Donkey Spit.....err, Nietzsche Pops. Clever name.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Noelie   07-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Hmm. Do you mean that the stories themselves have improved, or his style of writing? My opinion is that FPW's style has improved, but the stories have always been strong. The Keep was written a long time ago, but the story is still just incredible to me. I also just finished reading Sibs and The Select, which were written a long time ago, and those stories were intense and original.

I'm certainly not saying that his stories have gotten worse. I'm just saying that they have always been strong and remain so today.
Pages (3): 1 2 3