law dawg   01-19-2007, 07:05 PM
For you lovers of Harry Dresden (book series), the Sci-Fi channel will premire its first in the series on Sunday at I think 9 PM EST.

I can't wait.
Auskar   01-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm looking forward to it, too. I never really liked this kind of stuff, but the first novels were full of sarcastic wit, and I thought they were funny without being absurd. Although believing in magic is kind of absurd, but what the heck?
Silverfish   01-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Caught this last night, and found it really interesting. There are lots of places this series can go, so I don't think we'll be bored any time soon. It was really well done. I'm happy I watched it. You know how when you're ingaged in something when you start to lean forward? Well that's what I kept doing, like a little kid who wants to sit a metre away from the television. I loved the unimaginable clutter of his house...you could pull a million story lines from all that junk. It just didn't seem like a typical "first episode" where the cast is new, and the sets aren't done, and everything is rushed. It seemed, natural. (Or unnatural. That is a compliment Big Grin ) Anyways, someone said these were books too? If they are written as well as this first episode, I should check them out.

****SPOILER*****first episode of The Dresden Files****

Who is that guy at the end? Just getting into his car near the church. They made several references to Harry killling his uncle, yet that man looked exactly like the uncle from the flashbacks, cane and all. Can someone more familiar with the series please fill me in? If Harry's uncle isn't dead, then how does Harry have the ghost in the skull? Thanks.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Auskar   01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Silverfish Wrote:

Who is that guy at the end? Just getting into his car near the church. They made several references to Harry killling his uncle, yet that man looked exactly like the uncle from the flashbacks, cane and all. Can someone more familiar with the series please fill me in? If Harry's uncle isn't dead, then how does Harry have the ghost in the skull? Thanks.

You caught the FIRST episode, so there reall ISN'T anyone more familiar with the television series. Plus, the television series isn't going to follow the books/novels, so there is no help. To answer your question, the man you ask about looked a lot like his uncle to me, who is (of course) supposed to be dead. As far as Harry and Bob know, the uncle actually is dead, I presume.

There is a Jim Butcher forum and they probably know more about it there.

Regardless, it's "magic". In comic books, soap operas, science fiction, spy novels, and magic (or ANY kind of fiction) -- they can always bring someone back to life.
law dawg   01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Silverfish Wrote:
Caught this last night, and found it really interesting. There are lots of places this series can go, so I don't think we'll be bored any time soon. It was really well done. I'm happy I watched it. You know how when you're ingaged in something when you start to lean forward? Well that's what I kept doing, like a little kid who wants to sit a metre away from the television. I loved the unimaginable clutter of his house...you could pull a million story lines from all that junk. It just didn't seem like a typical "first episode" where the cast is new, and the sets aren't done, and everything is rushed. It seemed, natural. (Or unnatural. That is a compliment Big Grin ) Anyways, someone said these were books too? If they are written as well as this first episode, I should check them out.

Stephanie

The ghost in the skull BELONGED to the uncle (and many people before him). As for the uncle, the TV show is significantly different than the books, so we're taking some of the ride together.....
Silverfish   01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I guess you're right. (I didn't know they weren't following the books.) We'll just have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Kenji   09-28-2008, 08:52 AM
I saw "The Dresden Files" on rental DVDs.

It seems Supernatural meets X-Files. So far I saw 1st and 2nd episodes. Pretty good! I love it! So I checked out about this series on IMDB, but...

[SIZE="5"]1 SEASON ONLY!?!? [/SIZE]:ooh:
law dawg   09-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Kenji Wrote:I saw "The Dresden Files" on rental DVDs.

It seems Supernatural meets X-Files. So far I saw 1st and 2nd episodes. Pretty good! I love it! So I checked out about this series on IMDB, but...

[SIZE="5"]1 SEASON ONLY!?!? [/SIZE]:ooh:
Canceled. Not good enough ratings, I think.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.