Maggers   01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
All hail Helen Mirren! She just won the Golden Globe for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth on the small screen in HBO's "Elizabeth I." I bet she'll take home another for her portrayal of the current Queen Elizabeth on the big screen in "The Queen." She is masterful.

I liked "The Queen" very much. It's understated and restrained, as is its title character. I don't think many Americans have a clue as to the what the real Queen may be like. I'd like to hear from our friends across the pond and see if they, perhaps, know their Queen.

"The Queen" gives us a glimpse into the woman behind the woman on the throne. The film is rich and subtle and oddly moving. The Queen seems to be a woman better able to relate to her animals than to her subjects, and in so doing she becomes more understandable for having that all too human flaw.

The film takes us to the days following the death of Princess Diana. I remember being wrapped up in the worldwide televised drama of the accident, her death, her funeral, and the question of the week....where was the Queen? Looking back, I find it hard to recreate for myself the depth of feeling I had for Diana at that time. I was not someone who was ga-ga for Diana prior to her death, but for that week, somehow her death was transforming, for the planet and, apparently, for the Monarchy.

Many of you won't be interested in seeing "The Queen." But for those of you who have a mind to see it, I can pretty much guarantee you'll enjoy it.

P.S. I called it. Helen Mirren did win her second golden globe of the night for her exceptional work in "The Queen."
This post was last modified: 01-16-2007, 12:51 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Weatherford   01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Excellent movie!!

And from all reports, "spot on" !
Noelie   01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I was actually in England when Diana died. I was dating an Englishman at the time, so I used to travel to England quite often. This particular time, I had gotten in and jetlag had hit, so I had tried to go to sleep at a normal time but I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep. I turned on the TV just as the first reports of the car crash were coming in and watched from then until they announced that she had died. To this day, it is the single most surreal thing I've experienced... it's hard to even explain how difficult it was to believe that she was dead.

That week was one of the most emotionally difficult times I've ever been through. I was not a huge fan of Diana's (though I believe that she did a lot of very good things), but the outpouring of grief spilled over onto everyone and everything. I can't tell you how many times I just broke down sobbing that week because my heart was breaking for her children and the country that was mourning her. It was like this overwhelming pall of grief that you just couldn't escape.

I really want to see the movie, but I'll probably wait for DVD, as I do most everything these days.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Maggers   01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Noelie Wrote:I was actually in England when Diana died. I was dating an Englishman at the time, so I used to travel to England quite often. This particular time, I had gotten in and jetlag had hit, so I had tried to go to sleep at a normal time but I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep. I turned on the TV just as the first reports of the car crash were coming in and watched from then until they announced that she had died. To this day, it is the single most surreal thing I've experienced... it's hard to even explain how difficult it was to believe that she was dead.

That week was one of the most emotionally difficult times I've ever been through. I was not a huge fan of Diana's (though I believe that she did a lot of very good things), but the outpouring of grief spilled over onto everyone and everything. I can't tell you how many times I just broke down sobbing that week because my heart was breaking for her children and the country that was mourning her. It was like this overwhelming pall of grief that you just couldn't escape.

I really want to see the movie, but I'll probably wait for DVD, as I do most everything these days.

Noelie, you described perfectly the mood captured in the film, the mood of the country (and the world) that the Queen was at a such a loss to comprehend.

My friends and I all remember crying and feeling so sad when Diana died. You're right; it truly was a surreal moment in time. Diana was glamorous and in the spotlight forever, it seemed, but she did try to do good works. I think she succeeded in her way. I always found it amazing that Mother Teresa died about a week after Diana, but her death was barely noticed. We were all too involved with Diana. What a story. Her wedding was a universal event, too. I remember watching that, entranced, especially since I was a newlywed myself at that time.

I think you'll enjoy the movie, Noelie. It surely will bring back memories for you. I'd love to know what you think after you see it.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   04-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Today I saw "The Queen" in a theatre.

It was pretty good. Helen Mirren was excellent. Not only her. Especially, Michael Sheen was very similar to Tony Blair. Nice casting! Big Grin

I was surprised to one thing. Stephen Frears and Peter Morgan, they made perfectly inside information of England Royal family. Japanese Royal family would never permit the filming like this. Rolleyes
Lisa   04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Hunh. I thought this thread was about me or Susan.

*looks around corn-fused*
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Lisa Wrote:Hunh. I thought this thread was about me or Susan.

It wasn't?:confused:
Kenji   04-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Lisa Wrote:Hunh. I thought this thread was about me or Susan.

If so, thread title will be "The Queens" Wink Big Grin