BT Madness   12-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure how (or what) they are, but I have a theory... I think maybe the represent the earth, like Mother Nature incarnate type women. Think about it, they keep stuff like, 'I'm your mother, I'm everyone's mother." And they seem more concerned about the fate of the planet rather than the outcome of the "war" that's going on between the two main forces battling for the entire galaxy (it's been mentioned that earth itself is only like a "crumb" of the pie they're battling it out for control of.

(spoilers for Haunted Air)

I tell you, though, you just GOTTA love those people who show up only to give you vague-ass warnings about upcoming danger. Recall in THA Jack and Gia are about the to enter the house when one of them appears and says (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Don't go in there!" And they're like, "Why not?" and she basically replies, "Something bad will happen."

Oh wow, real specific there.

I mean, why didn't she just say, "Because the house is haunted by a little girl who wants to take your girlfriend's baby for her own." That would have taken what, all of three seconds?

I guess the only explanation I can think of is she didn't know exactly what lurked in the house, only that it was something bad.

So, be wary of old ladies with dogs! Smile
Maggers   12-25-2006, 02:23 AM
First of all, welcome to the board, BT.

Second, Merry Christmas.

Third, here's a link to a thread discussing the ladies in which there are additional links to threads discussing the ladies. I think Webby says there are probably just a shade fewer threads discussing the ladies and their dogs than there are threads discussing who will play Jack in "The Keep" movie.

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showt...php?t=6140

Enjoy! And, again, welcome.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   12-25-2006, 03:48 AM
If FPW had given in the novel the same explanation that you did below, he might just as well have ended the book right there. It would have ruined the rest of the story.

Ken V.

BT Madness Wrote:I'm not sure how (or what) they are, but I have a theory... I think maybe the represent the earth, like Mother Nature incarnate type women. Think about it, they keep stuff like, 'I'm your mother, I'm everyone's mother." And they seem more concerned about the fate of the planet rather than the outcome of the "war" that's going on between the two main forces battling for the entire galaxy (it's been mentioned that earth itself is only like a "crumb" of the pie they're battling it out for control of.

I tell you, though, you just GOTTA love those people who show up only to give you vague-ass warnings about upcoming danger. Recall in THA Jack and Gia are about the to enter the house when one of them appears and says (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Don't go in there!" And they're like, "Why not?" and she basically replies, "Something bad will happen."

I mean, why didn't she just say, "Because the house is haunted by a little girl who wants to take your girlfriend's baby for her own." That would have taken what, all of three seconds?

I guess the only explanation I can think of is she didn't know exactly what lurked in the house, only that it was something bad.

Silverfish   12-25-2006, 08:22 AM
It's all part of the master plan.

Welcome to the board.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
cobalt   12-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the board BTM. Keep reading the series, things do become clearer.

EWMAN
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-25-2006, 03:58 PM
BT Madness Wrote:I'm not sure how (or what) they are, but I have a theory... I think maybe the represent the earth, like Mother Nature incarnate type women. Think about it, they keep stuff like, 'I'm your mother, I'm everyone's mother." And they seem more concerned about the fate of the planet rather than the outcome of the "war" that's going on between the two main forces battling for the entire galaxy (it's been mentioned that earth itself is only like a "crumb" of the pie they're battling it out for control of.

Welcome, BT!

SPOILER!

I don't know how far you are into the series, hence the alert. If you haven't read CRISSCROSS

READ NO FURTHER!!!!

Still with me? Good. You'll recall the Lady in that book was called
"Herta." A subtle genius among the gang, with a fine way of thinking, pointed out "Herta is an anagram of "Earth."

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmTo save from tying me rap again.
Manda_W   12-29-2006, 02:48 AM
Not only would you have to end the book with a direct warning, but it takes away free choice. Despite all the warnings he receives, Jack is the type that loves to play the odds. If a warning were ever outlined that clearly, there is no point in playing the odds, he already knows the outcome. Sometimes, when you care about someone, you have to let them fall on their butt to learn. As time goes on, Jack is wising up.

Besides, the ladies know too much about behind the scenes, but no one has a life script in front of them. You can not make an exact prediction if you are unsure of exact accuracy. Life is a variable.