Sourdoughs   12-19-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm unclear as to the relation of these three works, and how the story "Good Friday" comes into play. Would/could someone lay out how they're related?

I've read the novell from 1990, have seen the DVD, haven't read the novel, and don't remember reading "Good Friday" if I did.

I did search and read previous posts on this topic but couldn't get it all straight in my head, I guess. Sad

Thanks!

-MarcC.
Kenji   12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Sourdoughs Wrote:I'm unclear as to the relation of these three works, and how the story "Good Friday" comes into play. Would/could someone lay out how they're related?

I've read the novell from 1990, have seen the DVD, haven't read the novel, and don't remember reading "Good Friday" if I did.

I did search and read previous posts on this topic but couldn't get it all straight in my head, I guess. Sad

Thanks!

-MarcC.

Okay, Sourdoughs. "Good Friday" is selected one scene from "Midnight Mass".
DVD is based on "Midnight Mass", but story and details are completely different. Actually, Sister Carole and Bernadette were not characters in DVD. That was pointless movie for Midnight Mass fan. Rolleyes
Keith the Elder   12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Kenji Wrote:Okay, Sourdoughs. "Good Friday" is selected one scene from "Midnight Mass".
DVD is based on "Midnight Mass", but story and details are completely different. Actually, Sister Carole and Bernadette were not characters in DVD. That was pointless movie for Midnight Mass fan. Rolleyes

The guy on the TV was pretty cool though.

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
APhew   12-20-2006, 05:57 PM
The 2004 novel "Midnight Mass" is actually the combination of a novella, two short stories, and a splash of awesomeness to complete the story. The core novella Midnight Mass was first published by Axolotl Press back in 1990. The two short stories are: The Lords Work (published in 1992), and Good Friday (published in 1999).

The movie is only loosely based on the original novella and not the full fledged novel. They took many liberties with the story, but overall I thought they did a decent job with budget they had.
Sourdoughs   12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
APhew Wrote:The 2004 novel "Midnight Mass" is actually the combination of a novella, two short stories, and a splash of awesomeness to complete the story. The core novella Midnight Mass was first published by Axolotl Press back in 1990. The two short stories are: The Lords Work (published in 1992), and Good Friday (published in 1999).

The movie is only loosely based on the original novella and not the full fledged novel. They took many liberties with the story, but overall I thought they did a decent job with budget they had.

Thanks, guys, that clears up a lot. I hope to get a copy of the novel soon.
Lon   12-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I first encountered MIDNIGHT MASS the novella in audiobook form where (I think) the entire anthology shared its title. What an amazing story to listen to! The reader's voice fit the tale perfectly and the story itself just brimmed over with tension. I'm telling you I was THERE in that basement with the vamps scraping around outside! :eek:

But I haven't read the full novel version yet and was wondering, from folks who've read both: do you have a preference between the two written versions and why?

ETA: Sorry to hijack the thread Sourdoughs! Wink

Coming Soon:
"Something to Hold the Door Closed" in Frontier Cthulhu

[SIZE="1"]Web: www.lonprater.com
LJ: lonfiction.livejournal.com[/SIZE]
Kenji   12-22-2006, 08:43 AM
APhew Wrote:The 2004 novel "Midnight Mass" is actually the combination of a novella, two short stories, and a splash of awesomeness to complete the story. The core novella Midnight Mass was first published by Axolotl Press back in 1990. The two short stories are: The Lords Work (published in 1992), and Good Friday (published in 1999).

Really? I didn't know that! :o

Where can I find out "The Lords Work"?
jimbow8   12-23-2006, 06:06 PM
If anyone gets the new On Demand Channel Fear.net, I just noticed that they are showing Midnight Mass.

Fear.net Midnight Mass trailer

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Kenji   12-23-2006, 09:57 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:If anyone gets the new On Demand Channel Fear.net, I just noticed that they are showing Midnight Mass.

Fear.net Midnight Mass trailer

I saw the trailer. It was too well made! Though whole movie was terrible....

I also checked other trailer, and Jim Carey's "Number 23" is looks pretty good.