Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:If you call your self Self, what does Self call you back? Wink

Good God! Ol' Jim flashin' Zen on us! Mercy!
KRW   12-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I haven't seen it, but I'm told it's gory to the n-th. That's what Gibson likes, it seems. He does it very well.

Mike, Gibson makes it as realistic as he can. If you are gonna show someone having their heart ripped out while they are still alive, then that's what people will see. Unless you sugar coat it. That time period was very brutal, I just hope he portrayed it correctly. If you're gonna tell a story, tell it. Knowing Mel's movies, he did.
KRW   12-12-2006, 12:43 AM

Me, Myself and I!Wink
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-12-2006, 12:45 AM
KRW Wrote:Mike, Gibson makes it as realistic as he can. If you are gonna show someone having their heart ripped out while they are still alive, then that's what people will see. Unless you sugar coat it. That time period was very brutal, I just hope he portrayed it correctly. If you're gonna tell a story, tell it. Knowing Mel's movies, he did.

I'm not criticizing him at all, Ken. As I said, he does it very well. But gore seems to be a standard in his flicks. If he didn't like it, he wouldn't show it so relentlessly.
KRW   12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'm not criticizing him at all, Ken. As I said, he does it very well. But gore seems to be a standard in his flicks. If he didn't like it, he wouldn't show it so relentlessly.

And I'm just saying he doesn't suger coat it. I found it funny how shocked people were after the "Passion". Has no one ever pictured what a whipping and crusifiction was like? What did they expect to see? The same with this movie.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-12-2006, 12:55 AM
KRW Wrote:And I'm just saying he doesn't suger coat it. I found it funny how shocked people were after the "Passion". Has no one ever pictured what a whipping and crusifiction was like? What did they expect to see? The same with this movie.

Imagining torture is one thing, seeing it is something else entirely. But me cafe is closing, Ken, catch you on Sunday. You take care, pal--or I'll kill you!:mad: l
saynomore   12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
The setting may be different, and the plot slightly askew, but this is definitely a subconscious remake of The Naked Prey, starring Cornell Wilder.

And Cindy says that the gore was not nearly as pervasive as the reviews make out. The rolling heads are filmed from a distance, so they may as well be basketballs boucing down the steps. She also says that the gore in "Kill Bill" (her favorite movie by far) makes Mel's film look like a Disney flick.

Oops, hold that thought, isn't it a Disney flick?

AC

P.S. Rent The Naked Prey, but then see Mel's film for comparison.
Silverfish   12-12-2006, 11:17 PM

I don't care what it calls me, as long as it doesn't call me late for dinner.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
KRW   12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
saynomore Wrote:The setting may be different, and the plot slightly askew, but this is definitely a subconscious remake of The Naked Prey, starring Cornell Wilder.

And Cindy says that the gore was not nearly as pervasive as the reviews make out. The rolling heads are filmed from a distance, so they may as well be basketballs boucing down the steps. She also says that the gore in "Kill Bill" (her favorite movie by far) makes Mel's film look like a Disney flick.

Oops, hold that thought, isn't it a Disney flick?

AC

P.S. Rent The Naked Prey, but then see Mel's film for comparison.

"The Naked Prey" was a good movie.
Ken Valentine   12-13-2006, 03:21 AM
KRW Wrote:"The Naked Prey" was a good movie.

It was . . . and it was very closely based on an actual historical incident.

The original script was based on the experience of John Colter, who was captured and chased by Blackfoot indians in what is now Wyoming.

Colter was also on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and was the first white man to explore what used to be called Colter's Hell, and is now called Yellowstone National Park.

Ken V.
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4