mike36799   12-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Critics are giving this movie a B-. Screw the critics! This movie is real, moving, and in your face. I was touched by this movie, and it may open up a few eyes. All I will say is I loved it, I will let you all digest it accordingly.

"I have the key to One-Eyed-Willy."
Kenji   12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
mike36799 Wrote:Critics are giving this movie a B-. Screw the critics! This movie is real, moving, and in your face. I was touched by this movie, and it may open up a few eyes. All I will say is I loved it, I will let you all digest it accordingly.

I don't care abour critics, so I'll go to see it. I saw trailer. It looked good. Depends on trailer when I choose the movie.
Maggers   12-30-2006, 01:36 AM
mike36799 Wrote:Critics are giving this movie a B-. Screw the critics! This movie is real, moving, and in your face. I was touched by this movie, and it may open up a few eyes. All I will say is I loved it, I will let you all digest it accordingly.

I agree, Mike, "Blood Diamond" is very moving. This is a movie with characters about whom I cared, deeply. A friend of mine criticized Leonardo DiCaprio as being just too young, cute and not rugged enough to be a soldier of fortune with a history of violence and murder behind him. I disagree. Leonardo has grown up.

The movie covers a subject about which I knew nothing. It took me to a part of the world that I've never seen up close like that. "TIA" was a repeating theme - "this is Africa" meaning anything goes in terms of men killing men, women and children; outsiders profiting obscenely from the riches of the land; Africans being turned against one another by outsiders and native warlords; in short, neverending hellish violence. Yet respites of quiet and calm do exist and perhaps, when the violence ends, as so many characters said, their world could be paradise. Africa has the potential to be just that. But how do we stop the violence, against man and against the land? How can the child armies be disarmed and demilitarized? How can that captivating continent be returned to paradise?

The action is non-stop and well done. There is a lot of violence, some against children. I had to look away a few times, though I don't think anything graphic was shown on screen, but the thought of what they were doing was enough.

I liked this movie a lot. Djimon Hounsou was wonderful, as was DiCaprio. It's a movie you should see, to learn from and to enjoy. It's a provocative film, one that will make you think, at least I hope it will.
This post was last modified: 12-30-2006, 04:14 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Auskar   12-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm patient. I'll wait until it shows up on cable.
Kenji   12-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Particularly I'm not Leonardo DiCaprio fan, but he did appearances in some of my favorite movies. Quick & Dead, The Titanic, and Gangs of New York. I'll go to a theatre see "The Diparted" and "Blood Diamond".

I guess I can see good movies in 2007 than 2006. Smile
Kenji   04-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Today I saw Blood Diamond in a theatre.

It's great movie! This is really five stars movie. Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou, Jennifer Connelly, they were excellent. Dicaprio was better than "The Departed". Djimon Hounsou was powerful and persuasive. Jennifer Connelly was.....well, she's beautiful, even if she got muddy.

But some violence scenes were shocking. Especially, child soldiers.....oh, damned! What a cruel world! Sad But still, this was very touching movie. Every scenes and every dialogues were perfect and high tensions. I got breathless in some scenes. Well, almost I couldn't breathe.

"Sometimes, I wonder; will God ever forgive us for what we've done to each other?"

"He is my son. I am his father. I must go find him. Go ahead, shoot me if you want, but I will go find him."

Well, TIA. This is Africa. Next week, I'll go to see another movie of Africa, "Tsotsi". It's South African movie. It's Academy Award winner of best foreign language film. But that's another story. After I saw it, I'll post my review. Wink
cobalt   04-09-2007, 01:12 AM
We recently saw Blood Diamond, sent to us from our Netflix queue. I was pleasantly surprised. Great story, great acting and a hellish tale of a part of the world (just as Maggers said) that I didn't know much about. I'd recommend it!

EWMAN
Scott Miller   10-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Finally got to see this last night. A great-looking, solid thriller with plenty of depressing food for thought; the cruelty of man makes me shudder when I see stuff like this. Have these people no conscience? I did feel that the characters were able to extricate themselves from situations a little too easily and they were awfully blase about coming through some pretty dire spots.

The acting is good, all three leads turned in admirable performances(I love DiCaprio and liked him in this, but if Costner got lambasted for his accent in Robin Hood, why did Leo not receive likewise for his ever-shifting one in this?). And on a purely male note, I love Jennifer Connelly.
This post was last modified: 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
phoenix rising   10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I useed to not be a fan of Leo, but he did very well in this movie, I was pleasantly suprised at the way he pulled off the part.