Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
KRW   11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, Mitch, nobody =likes= to pay taxes. But adults know there are some things we need that we can't do for ourselves--i.e., cops, firemen, teachers, armed forces. Needed guys and gals. So we pony up. Don't get me wrong--I like Jack mucho. But I'd like him even more if Paul would slip in a line like, "Jack walked away from the mailbox. A couple of money orders to the feds and state and city. Didn't like it, but... A fire truck came around the corner. Jack waved to the guys. They waved back."

You wanna show me the law that says we have to pay taxes?
Mike, if there is a need for anything, free enterprise will take care of it. Not only will it be taken care of, it'll be done cheaper and better than if government got it's mitts on it. Yes, I can say this. I have rural metro.

Government does not deserve diddley off of our hard earned money.
Dave F   11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Call me sick and twisted, but mine is Jack getting revenge on the scumbag who tossed the cinder block; the single sweetest moment of poetic justice it has been my pleasure to read.

If you are sick & twisted then I am too - this was also my favorite part.

POTENTIAL HARBINGERS SPOILER

But having read Harbingers was he a scumbag - or just a victim of the Ally / otherness struggle?

The artist formally known as Britfan
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
KRW Wrote:You wanna show me the law that says we have to pay taxes?
Mike, if there is a need for anything, free enterprise will take care of it. Not only will it be taken care of, it'll be done cheaper and better than if government got it's mitts on it. Yes, I can say this. I have rural metro.

Government does not deserve diddley off of our hard earned money.

Some things private enterprise =can't= do. Not enough coin. How would you have private enterprise handle national defense? Or should not the country be defended?
KRW   11-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Some things private enterprise =can't= do. Not enough coin. How would you have private enterprise handle national defense? Or should not the country be defended?

I also never said all taxes were bad. But mike, if there was ever a war that needed to be fought, I would doubt you'd find the lack of volunteers to fight it in America.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
KRW Wrote:I also never said all taxes were bad. But mike, if there was ever a war that needed to be fought, I would doubt you'd find the lack of volunteers to fight it in America.

Then what does "Government does not deserve diddley off our hard earned money" mean, Ken? Just quoting your own words.
KRW   11-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Then what does "Government does not deserve diddley off our hard earned money" mean, Ken? Just quoting your own words.

No profit off of labor. You getting it yet?
jimbow8   11-28-2006, 09:18 PM
KRW Wrote:No profit off of labor. You getting it yet?
I have to admit that you lost me, too. What are they going to tax? Does it make a difference if they tax labor, income, profit, etc?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-28-2006, 09:19 PM
KRW Wrote:No profit off of labor. You getting it yet?

Not quite, Ken, but I gotta take off now to get uptown for the All-USA trivia contest. Always good talking with you. I'll be back on Sunday. You take care, hombre.
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-29-2006, 08:31 AM
I loved when Jack was playing Tiptoe-Through-the-Rakoshi in the hull of the ship...creepy! Being trapped in a room of (malignant foes) where you were lucky they didn't notice you (yet), but if you try to escape, or if you try to move through, they might notice you...yikes. Good scenes!

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
mitch   11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I loved when Jack was playing Tiptoe-Through-the-Rakoshi in the hull of the ship...creepy! Being trapped in a room of (malignant foes) where you were lucky they didn't notice you (yet), but if you try to escape, or if you try to move through, they might notice you...yikes. Good scenes!
another classic scene, the kind that keeps you reading long into the night
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5