Pages (2): 1 2   
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-26-2006, 05:09 PM
WOW!

I loved this movie. An intelligent (and well-thought-out) story, tight directing, good acting...wow. Very good. It was like Enemy of the State (the movie, not the FPW book) meets Frequency with a bit of Laura (1944) thrown in (yes, seriously!). I can already see this joining my Untraditional Time Travel Movie Festival (which includes Timeline, Frequency, Minority Report, Kate & Leopold, and other movies involving time travel minus flying cars or Morlocks).

I especially loved this after the high-aiming (but largely-lacking) The Fountain.

Other thoughts?

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Kenji   11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I saw trailer. Must see this!
jimbow8   11-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm torn on this movie. I'm a big Tony Scott fan, but this movie got skewered by critics. Probably wait for DVD.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-27-2006, 04:16 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I'm torn on this movie. I'm a big Tony Scott fan, but this movie got skewered by critics. Probably wait for DVD.

The movie guy in the DAILY NEWS--Jack Matthews?--gave it 4 stars. I don't have a lot of use for critics unless they're writing about what they do themselves, and therefore =really= know about. Spider Robinson's reviews in ANALOG come to mind, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anybody else.
GeraldRice   11-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Tony Scott turned me off after the edit/massacre job he's been doing since Man on Fire. It's like he makes movies to keep the attention of children with ADD.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
jimbow8   11-27-2006, 06:06 PM
GeraldRice Wrote:Tony Scott turned me off after the edit/massacre job he's been doing since Man on Fire. It's like he makes movies to keep the attention of children with ADD.
So .... Domino and Deja Vu? Or does that also include Man on Fire?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
GeraldRice   11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Domino and Man on Fire. The stories of both seemed interesting, but the poor lighting, the jittery cam and the out of context shots throw me way off.

They passed an old woman who was just opening the door of a brown Cadillac. An old man was already sitting in the passenger seat. The car had a personalized plate with the letters “J-U-S-P-R-A-Y”.
“That stuff work?” Israel said to her.
“‘Scuse me?” the little old woman said, clutching her keys.
“The spray. Does it keep them away?”
“Keep who away?” She looked confused.
“I gotcha.” Israel gave her a conspiratorial wink.

www.feelmyghost.webs.com
Biggles   11-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Didn't we have a deja vu thread before?

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Barry Lee Dejasu   11-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Biggles Wrote:Didn't we have a deja vu thread before?

I didn't see one...maybe you're just experiencing--?

Nah, I won't say it.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Biggles   11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:I didn't see one...maybe you're just experiencing--?

Nah, I won't say it.

I KNEW you would say that! :eek:

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Pages (2): 1 2