Barry Lee Dejasu   11-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I'm on a beach, and I'm digging a hole in the ground. I jump into the hole. A friend then buries me up to my neck in the sand. They put a ball on the ground about four feet away from my head, and then they make a running start, and kick it with an upwards motion. See how high up it went? That's how this movie was for me. Waaaaaaaaaaay over my head.

Far too many metaphors and too much symbolism, resulting in too much for the audience to figure out for themselves. Good performances, interesting concept, and pretty to look at. Otherwise, I was left with my head cocked off to the side and going, "Huh?"

Your thoughts?

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Marc   11-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Loved it. Very emotional, very compelling, amazing performances and visuals. This is isn't Requiem for a Dream... it is a much more subdued film. As one critic wrote, "It's as if director Darren Aronofsky literally ripped his heart out and threw it up on screen." It certainly feels that way.

The Fountain is one of those films that begs to be viewed several times to "get". From Barry's comment I assume the entire film went over his head. I disagree with that assessment but will agree that towards the end it does get very symbolic. Many people have compared the ending to the ending in 2001. It's not quite as trippy but definitely leaves one scratching their head trying to understand specifically what Aronosky was getting at. But that's what I love about what film can do: make one question what they've seen or felt and have to revisit it to try and understand it better.

This film isn't like a David Lynch film where a lot of the film feels like moments that are put together in no particular order. The Fountain has an agenda and succeeds... almost. I for one will have to watch it a couple more times to fully understand it's message.
Marc   05-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I consider "The Fountain" to be one of the best films of 2006 (along with "Children of Men"). Unfortunately it was too "artsie" for the mainstream audience because virtually no one saw it in theaters. It's emotional, it's beautiful and best of all you are still thinking about it days later. Today the film comes out on DVD so I recommend you do yourself a favor and either rent our buy this DVD.
Keith the Elder   05-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Oh, I thought this was about "The Fountainhead"

Sorry, wrong thread, I'm leaving..sorry

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Kenji   07-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Today I went to a theatre see "The Fountain". It was beautiful and gorgeous! Some scenes reminded me of "Solaris", but of course it was better than "Solaris".

I'm sure this is the best film of Darren Aronofsky. I like "Requiem for a Dream" too, but I prefer "The Fountain". Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz were also awesome. The movie showed some best moments. On present, on the past, on the universe, all human's life and death are chained eternal circle.

"If you want eternal life, first of all, don't waste your present life."
Kenji   07-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Marc B. Wrote:This film isn't like a David Lynch film where a lot of the film feels like moments that are put together in no particular order. The Fountain has an agenda and succeeds... almost. I for one will have to watch it a couple more times to fully understand it's message.

Sure. I agree. I completely understood "The Fountain", but still "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive" are confusing me.