Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
gus3   10-22-2006, 07:31 AM
I was getting ready to type up my general response, when I found this most excellent springboard:

tenebroust Wrote:If God is your thing that's cool, but fiction is about suspension of disbelief. Fiction is designed to create an alternate reality where the story as presented has context and meaning.

Short answer: Please explain that to the Brits who report their professed faith as "Jedi Knight." Big Grin

But seriously...

One of the things I found enjoyable in FPW's writing was his human portraits. We all have our shortcomings, some more than others. Even nuns. Every one of the characters I encountered reminded me of someone I've met in my life. The spectrum of people in RJ is something I can't hope to duplicate in my amateur short stories.

However, when the topic ventures into the supernatural (not just in RJ), I have learned to be on my guard. I have listened to ordained ministers, supposedly the full-time professional spiritual warriors, questioning the existence of all the invisible creation. It usually started with their attempts to rationalize the Christian world-view into anything from "outdated myth" to "totally backwards." Such reasoning always led to a world-view that was devoid of every belief I hold dear about God's philanthropy.

Please do not think I am advocating censorship. I am a long-time supporter of the "marketplace of ideas" concept; FPW's freedom to publish RJ books is the same as my freedom to comment on them.

I do want to address a specific point:

Biggles Wrote:In our Orthodox liturgy, we are told to set aside "all Earthly cares"; yet that does not make us part of the "Otherness" to which Jack refers.

Perhaps not RJ's "Truly Awful" realm, but the whole point of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy is to transcend "all Earthly cares" that interfere with our healing and restoration to the Divine community.

Thanks to FPW for graciously allowing me to comment further on his board.
Kenji   10-22-2006, 08:04 AM
I read everybody's posts, and...can I say my opinions....?

Well, first of all, even if Jack is Anti-Christian, I don't care. I'm not sure FPW is Anti-Christian, but I don't care. It's not important to me. Religion's choice is freedom.

I am not Christian, so am I Anti-Christian? :confused:
XamberB   10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
This thread reminds me of when my mother threatened to burn all my science fiction magazines because she was afraid I would think they were real.Rolleyes

The same person condemning FPW's books probably also thinks The Da Vinci Code is blasphemy and the Harry Potter Books are about real witchcraft (Wicca). These people think that Wicca is a religion based on consorting with Satan. Their narrow little unintelligent minds cannot grasp the concept of fiction, and any religion except their own is WRONG.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
cobalt   10-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Differences in opinion is what makes the world an interesting place. Freedom of thought and ideas is the ticket. What one chooses to believe is their matter of choice. It's when one or several of the same mind....decide that their opinion is the ONLY way....that the controversy starts to become a problem. Good fiction makes the reader think....could this be so?.... There is nothing wrong with a good debate about a story. Then there are those that become almost or most assuredly irrational and push their point. I assume (and you KNOW what happens when ya assume!) that's when the zeal gets going. There is nothing wrong with voicing your thoughts and opinions, that's what freedom is all about. If someone disagrees with the point or stance, well then you should expect an reply. Imagine a world where all thought as one? Truly scary place, no?

Notice I left religion out of my little IMHO? The reason, because I can believe what I want.....and believe in the ability for others to have their own beliefs.

EWMAN
webby   10-22-2006, 12:33 PM
gus3 Wrote:However, when the topic ventures into the supernatural (not just in RJ), I have learned to be on my guard. I have listened to ordained ministers, supposedly the full-time professional spiritual warriors, questioning the existence of all the invisible creation. It usually started with their attempts to rationalize the Christian world-view into anything from "outdated myth" to "totally backwards." Such reasoning always led to a world-view that was devoid of every belief I hold dear about God's philanthropy.

Ok, but FPW isn't trying to change anybody's world-view with his stories. It's not as if he's publishing essays saying "this is how the universe is". The Ally vs. Otherness conflict is fiction. It is no more real than Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The stories are for entertainment - not to make you question whatever beliefs you may have.

cobalt79 Wrote:Differences in opinion is what makes the world an interesting place. Freedom of thought and ideas is the ticket. What one chooses to believe is their matter of choice. It's when one or several of the same mind....decide that their opinion is the ONLY way....that the controversy starts to become a problem. Good fiction makes the reader think....could this be so?.... There is nothing wrong with a good debate about a story. Then there are those that become almost or most assuredly irrational and push their point. I assume (and you KNOW what happens when ya assume!) that's when the zeal gets going. There is nothing wrong with voicing your thoughts and opinions, that's what freedom is all about. If someone disagrees with the point or stance, well then you should expect an reply. Imagine a world where all thought as one? Truly scary place, no?

Notice I left religion out of my little IMHO? The reason, because I can believe what I want.....and believe in the ability for others to have their own beliefs.

I agree. I will mention religion because one major problem I have with any religion is the concept that one is not to question what they are told, simply swallow it whole. If a "God" exists that created people truly in His/Her image, then wouldn't He/She want them to use the brains they were given?

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Trilobite   10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Auskar Wrote:Religion and politics. The truly committed won't change their minds, whether they are rational or not.
If they are committed to the point where there is no possibility that they will change their mind, they are clearly not rational.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-22-2006, 08:48 PM
dejo Wrote:http://gus3.typepad.com/i_am_therefore_i...jack_.html

Wow. Where does one even start...

AT LAST A PERSON OF INSIGHT ENLIGHTENS THE WISEACRES OF THIS BOARD. WHAT A PITY IS SO VERY LATE IN THE GAME.--DR. ROMA
Ken Valentine   10-23-2006, 01:14 AM
webby Wrote:If a "God" exists that created people truly in His/Her image, then wouldn't He/She want them to use the brains they were given?

That's one of the interesting things about the Bible . . . interpretations.

What is meant by the word "image?" Does it mean the physical image of God, or the image God had in his/her/its mind?

Physical image or mental image?

Hoo nose.

Ken V.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-23-2006, 12:37 PM
fpw Wrote:"I propose that Repairman Jack is not for anyone who is serious about filling his mind with the good things of Christ."

[SIZE="3"]Should I send this to my publisher to add to the cover Bloodline?[/SIZE]

Why stop there? How about, "F. Paul Wilson--Not Light, Not Right." And, "In Complete Contradiction of Ephasians." I do believe there's a marketing campaign here...Wink
Ossicle   10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
fpw Wrote:Last I heard, compounds in attributive use are hyphenated. At least in English. What language are you referring to?
Ha ha! Er, Urdu?
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6