Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Medusa   10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Couldn't tell. I'll have to check it out on that Lost fan site I found last season.

It was kind of neat to see the very beginning, the others in their environment when the plane crashed. But I was a little dissapointed. I guess I was expecting more.
Marc   10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Someone mentioned on Shocklines that it was Carrie.
Medusa   10-04-2006, 11:21 PM
One Lost forum kept insisting it was The Stand. There was NO WAY that skinny little book was The Stand.
yellogecko   10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
I love this show. It keeps me on my toes.

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes, not need, just feed the war cannibal animal I.. walk the corner to the rubble that used to be a library line up to the mind cemetary now...What we don't know keeps the contracts alive and movin'. They don't gotta burn the books they just remove 'em. While arms warehouses fill as quick as the cells...Rally round the family, pockets full of shells.
Maggers   10-05-2006, 11:12 AM
The whole set up gave me the feeling of behavioralists studying the behavior of caged animals, human or otherwise, which is what I've always felt the Island was...one big laboratory. Throw people there, mix 'em up and see what happens. Add the mysterious magnetic forces and who knows what they'll do.

I did think that seeing Jack suddenly mad was off putting. Not quite sure I swallow such a rapid descent off the edge because of his failed marriage.

As always, can't wait for me.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

APhew   10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Maggers Wrote:I did think that seeing Jack suddenly mad was off putting. Not quite sure I swallow such a rapid descent off the edge because of his failed marriage.

What really struck me with last nights episode was the human element. It's easy to just look at Kate, Jack, and Sawyer as their characters. We see this island with these castaways and all this strangeness going on. It can really put up a barrier between us and the emotions they are going through. Maybe it's just me, but last night it was really portrayed well the predicament these three have found themselves. The first two seasons built up the stories of all these characters and have led us to somewhere we never could have expected. It all came to a head in last nights episode. With Jack and Kate it was more obvious, but with Sawyer there was just the slightest glimmer of hopelessness when he saw Kate put into that cage. Their lives have been completely uprooted, they have been through a plane crash, trying to survive on the island, dealing with things inexplicable, and it has ended up with them being imprisoned by a group of people they know little to nothing about who seem to know everything. You could see it in Jack and Kate's eyes, the complete anger and frustration, the dispondency and hopelessness of their situation. It really struck me for the first time just how human these people are. And for that, it truly became the best show on television for me.

Oh, and it was "Carrie" she was holding. I backed up and caught it perfectly in one frame.
Scott Hajek   10-05-2006, 03:23 PM
APhew Wrote:And for that, it truly became the best show on television for me.

Oh, and it was "Carrie" she was holding. I backed up and caught it perfectly in one frame.

What is the significance of "Carrie"? I think there was some comment about how the book was appropriate in the context of what is going on.

Last night's episode had some great moments, but left me teetering... I'm starting to get a glimpse of the ramp and the shark tank. With some of the revelations put out during the summer on the web in "The Lost Experience" I am starting to dislike where this is all going.

What made Lost so great was the method of storytelling and the mysteries that have been presented. But, when some of the mysteries are "revealed" but not explained and then promptly forgotten, it shows a lack of consistency in the writing. This has happened on "24" quite a bit, when the writers back themselves against a wall and then change direction in a grossly illogical way. Though, with a show like "Lost" it's easy to change direction because logic is suspended with the science fiction aspect of the show.

After watching the premiere of "The Nine" last night, I have some hope for a show like Lost set in the "real" world. There are enough questions asked to make for a very interesting show.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Maggers   10-05-2006, 06:40 PM
APhew Wrote:What really struck me with last nights episode was the human element. It's easy to just look at Kate, Jack, and Sawyer as their characters. We see this island with these castaways and all this strangeness going on. It can really put up a barrier between us and the emotions they are going through. Maybe it's just me, but last night it was really portrayed well the predicament these three have found themselves. The first two seasons built up the stories of all these characters and have led us to somewhere we never could have expected. It all came to a head in last nights episode. With Jack and Kate it was more obvious, but with Sawyer there was just the slightest glimmer of hopelessness when he saw Kate put into that cage. Their lives have been completely uprooted, they have been through a plane crash, trying to survive on the island, dealing with things inexplicable, and it has ended up with them being imprisoned by a group of people they know little to nothing about who seem to know everything. You could see it in Jack and Kate's eyes, the complete anger and frustration, the dispondency and hopelessness of their situation. It really struck me for the first time just how human these people are. And for that, it truly became the best show on television for me....

EXACTLY! Beautifully put, as always.

For me it was the moment Kate came out of the shower, terrified to find she had no clothes. For a woman, that touches on the worst sort of fear about what may come. To be naked and helpless will strip you (no pun intended) of your dignity and humanity more quickly than anything else. The humiliation, fear, helplessness, anger and confusion all flashed across her face. And then for her to be told what to wear and dressed up like a doll, well, you could see the simmering rage in her eyes.

These extremely independent individuals are now totally controlled by outside forces about which they know nothing. Their sense of helplessness and frustration mounted with every scene and was visible in each character.

I especially appreciated Sawyer and the manner in which he conducts himself. He has always been flippant and nonchalant, never taking anything seriously, at least on the surface. I saw last night how that can be an extremely effective coping mechanism, especially when you cannot control any element of your environment or circumstance. When he gave his hard won fish biscuit to Kate I nearly cried.

I also think the song that Juliette put in her CD player was significant, Petula Clark's "Downtown."

When you're alone
and life is making you lonely
you can always go
downtown.

Juliette can't go downtown or anywhere else but the compound, or so it seems. I was struck by the isolation of the compound as the camera pulled back again and again in that first scene.

I am not taking anything at face value in this season. Nothing is as it seems. I've no idea where they are going or how they will get there.
This post was last modified: 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:I also think the song that Juliette put in her CD player was significant, Petula Clark's "Downtown."

When you're alone
and life is making you lonely
you can always go
downtown.

Juliette can't go downtown or anywhere else but the compound, or so it seems. I was struck by the isolation of the compound as the camera pulled back again and again in that first scene.
Your analysis seems to indicate some sympathy for Juliette; Correct me if I'm wrong.

EVERYTHING that she did in the episode was scripted and planned to elicit a particular response from Jack. I trust her least of any of them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
APhew   10-05-2006, 06:58 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Your analysis seems to indicate some sympathy for Juliette; Correct me if I'm wrong.

EVERYTHING that she did in the episode was scripted and planned to elicit a particular response from Jack. I trust her least of any of them.

I disagree, I think she's going to be the cog that breaks the wheel. From the first scene with her almost crying to "Downtown", to the book club meeting with the guy chiding her for Ben not being there because of her book choice, to the calm matter-of-fact way she said "Thank-you Ben" at the end. There is a lot more going on inside her than what it appears. That last scene does make is seem like she's completely cold and in control, but what happened before that makes me think she's unraveling on the inside.
Pages (3):    1 2 3