Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Mark S.   09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
BrettM Wrote:I began to think ... if I wanted to set up the highest possible level of sustainable technology for a start-up colony, would I invent everything from scratch, or would I start with existing models of technology and social structure from a past society that was successful?

I can buy that to a limited degree. I just can't buy that they would make tools, vehicles, and clothes EXACTLY like people did in the 1870s, down to even the prints on the women's dresses and bonnets. Bonnets!!!

I just kept thinking, "Someone at the studio is saving money by raiding Little House on the Prairie's old sets and costumes."

BrettM Wrote:The only thing that really bugged me is that they must have required all the colonist applicants to watch old western movies for weeks and study the speech patterns and accents, which makes no sense at all. But, this is TV, so I'm sure that was done to make sure the less-sophisticated viewers "got it" or something.

I think it was done because this show had no subtlety whatever. The premise was to mix Sci-Fi with the Western. Great premise! But rather than mixing the themes, social context, etc. of the Western, they threw in all the costumes and dialogue. I felt like Whedon was pounding me in the head, "This is a Western! Do you get it? This is a Western! Do you get it? THIS IS A WESTERN!!!!"

Overkill. Spice is a good thing, but too much spice can ruin the dish. Firefly was a ruined dish.
Mark S.   09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I think they'll have to pick up the pace a bit to keep their viewership interested.

Loads of potential. Very much agreed!

But I think they actually need to slow down a bit. So far, I'm just not buying some of the characters' motivation and actions. Throwing the characters into peril is a great thing. A staple of good fiction. But we need to know why the characters behave the way they do or the peril lacks punch.
Scott Miller   09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Mark S. Wrote:Loads of potential. Very much agreed!

But I think they actually need to slow down a bit. So far, I'm just not buying some of the characters' motivation and actions. Throwing the characters into peril is a great thing. A staple of good fiction. But we need to know why the characters behave the way they do or the peril lacks punch.

Well if it is as epic as they are describing it there will be ample opportunity to develop the characters back story on the way. Which characters motivation didn't you believe? You'll have to refer to them as the cheerleader or the Indian as none of their names have stuck in my feeble memory.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Mark S.   09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Which characters motivation didn't you believe?

I Want to Flyboy. "I'm having dreams I can fly. I think I can fly!" Puh-leez. "I just feel like I'm meant for something special." I like the actor very much, but the writers need to give him something to work with.

Mohinder (the Indian guy). I just don't get his desperation to finish his father's work. Why the urgency? Why tear up your life and move to New York and work as a cabbie? Why does this mean so much to him? I just don't get it.

Stripper girl was probably one of the best storylines. Not quite sure what her power is yet, but it's looking rather Jekyll & Hyde or even Hulk-like.

Cheerleader was also fun, though I think you had to read between the lines to see what's going on there. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Am I the only one who saw her as suicidal because she's being abused by her father?

Hiro was fun, if a bit over the top. Enthusiasm is good, but I think he needs to tone it down a bit. And why did his friend spend all day arguing with him??? Why not just say -- "Put up or shut up, Hiro. You can teleport? Fine. Prove it to me right now."

Junkie Artist was okay. My biggest complaint there was that the guy looked way too healthy.

Bad Guy was too Mr. Smith/Cancer Man for me. At least so far. Maybe they'll develop him in some interesting directions.

I'm really looking forward to Psychic Cop next week. Is he the only main character we haven't seen yet?
jimbow8   09-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Mark S. Wrote:I Want to Flyboy. "I'm having dreams I can fly. I think I can fly!" Puh-leez. "I just feel like I'm meant for something special." I like the actor very much, but the writers need to give him something to work with.

Mohinder (the Indian guy). I just don't get his desperation to finish his father's work. Why the urgency? Why tear up your life and move to New York and work as a cabbie? Why does this mean so much to him? I just don't get it.

Stripper girl was probably one of the best storylines. Not quite sure what her power is yet, but it's looking rather Jekyll & Hyde or even Hulk-like.

Cheerleader was also fun, though I think you had to read between the lines to see what's going on there. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Am I the only one who saw her as suicidal because she's being abused by her father?

Hiro was fun, if a bit over the top. Enthusiasm is good, but I think he needs to tone it down a bit. And why did his friend spend all day arguing with him??? Why not just say -- "Put up or shut up, Hiro. You can teleport? Fine. Prove it to me right now."

Junkie Artist was okay. My biggest complaint there was that the guy looked way too healthy.

Bad Guy was too Mr. Smith/Cancer Man for me. At least so far. Maybe they'll develop him in some interesting directions.

I'm really looking forward to Psychic Cop next week. Is he the only main character we haven't seen yet?
What movie/show are we talking about now?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
The Mad American   09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:What movie/show are we talking about now?

Heroes. The new TV series on NBC I think it was.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Scott Miller   09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
The Mad American Wrote:Heroes. The new TV series on NBC I think it was.

You are correct sir.

Scott

Scott Miller   09-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Mark S. Wrote:I Want to Flyboy. "I'm having dreams I can fly. I think I can fly!" Puh-leez. "I just feel like I'm meant for something special." I like the actor very much, but the writers need to give him something to work with.

Okay I can buy him as poorly written, although I did like the twist with his brother at the end. I think he'll end up with some other ability.

Mark S. Wrote:Mohinder (the Indian guy). I just don't get his desperation to finish his father's work. Why the urgency? Why tear up your life and move to New York and work as a cabbie? Why does this mean so much to him? I just don't get it.

Agreed, although I got the feeling that the urgency shall be revealed eventually and I liked the actor quite a bit.

Mark S. Wrote:Stripper girl was probably one of the best storylines. Not quite sure what her power is yet, but it's looking rather Jekyll & Hyde or even Hulk-like.

I'm very curious about her abilities and I too thought her segments were the most interesting.

Mark S. Wrote:Cheerleader was also fun, though I think you had to read between the lines to see what's going on there. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Am I the only one who saw her as suicidal because she's being abused by her father?

Something tells me she is going to be pivotal in the whole thing and you might be as I did not read that into the episode.

Mark S. Wrote:Hiro was fun, if a bit over the top. Enthusiasm is good, but I think he needs to tone it down a bit. And why did his friend spend all day arguing with him??? Why not just say -- "Put up or shut up, Hiro. You can teleport? Fine. Prove it to me right now."

I loved the dialogue between them-very witty. He may be a bit too stereotypical however.

Mark S. Wrote:Junkie Artist was okay. My biggest complaint there was that the guy looked way too healthy.

The jury is still out on him-not enough air time to decide.

Mark S. Wrote:Bad Guy was too Mr. Smith/Cancer Man for me. At least so far. Maybe they'll develop him in some interesting directions.

Agree there, shadowy government agent is way too cliche. Hopefully they have something else in store and that whoever is controlling him is a formidible foe.

Mark S. Wrote:I'm really looking forward to Psychic Cop next week. Is he the only main character we haven't seen yet?

I have no idea if there will be others outside of the cop. I'm going to guess yes for both good and bad purposes.

Scott

Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 03:04 AM
BrettM Wrote:My initial reaction was the same. But, I began to think ... if I wanted to set up the highest possible level of sustainable technology for a start-up colony, would I invent everything from scratch, or would I start with existing models of technology and social structure from a past society that was successful? (See, for example, the colony where Lazarus Long met Dora in "Time Enough for Love". Supplied by starship, yet resembling the Old West.) And they did make modifications on that model, drawing on useful elements going back to medieval times, which is reflected in many of the self-made entertainments practiced by the colonists.

Good parallel Bret.

If a government (the Alliance in this case) is going to start a colony on a new planet or moon, are they going to bring along the latest technology? Or are they going to let the colonists develop things on their own?

In the Firefly 'verse, the Alliance dumps the colonists on the moon or planet and lets them fend for themselves.

As Heinlein said in FARMER IN THE SKY, horses can make more horses, something tractors will never be able to do. Hence the kind of "Western" theme.

Also, one gathers from the series, most of the colonists didn't voluntarily chose to colonize, so it wouldn't be surprising that many of them are criminal-types. England did the same thing in Georgia and Australia; they started colonization with "undesirables."

From an historical perspective, it makes good sense.

I didn't see Firefly on TV, I didn't even hear about it until it was released on DVD. The late Kerry Pearson (Lux Lucre) recommended it to me, and I have never regretted buying the series.

There is good character development while still leaving some aspects of the characters in mystery, and some of the lines in the TV series are outrageously funny.

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you are going to a special level of hell. A level reserved for child molesters . . . and people who talk in the theater."

I agree with Jim. It was a darned good series. And the movie was very good as well.

Weatherford. I recommend you see the series before the movie . . . but I recommend you see them both. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   10-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Blake Wrote:I don't think it's about the movie being "great". I think it's about the movie being his. Any artist (filmmaker, musician, painter, whatever) wants their work to be as they envisioned it. Whedon certainly wouldn't be the first person to criticize others for taking away his paintbrushes and altering his work. Look at George Lucas.

Right you are, look at Michael Mann's version of THE KEEP!

Ken V.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5