Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Dave   09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Kenji Wrote:Thanks, sigokat. I understood.
Not to be confused with the British slang of 'nick', which means to steal or take without permission.

"I'm going to nick a tenner from my mum's purse." (tenner = ten pound note)

This then leads to the same verb 'to nick' being used primarily by the police in reference to an arrest.

"You're nicked!"

Most commonly seen in British 70's cop shows.

Dave
Kenji   09-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Dave Wrote:Not to be confused with the British slang of 'nick', which means to steal or take without permission.

This then leads to the same verb 'to nick' being used primarily by the police in reference to an arrest.

"You're nicked!"

Dave

Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks, Dave. Smile
The Mad American   09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
What was the episode of TZ that had an elderly woman holed up in her apartment in a snow storm and death comes to visit? I think it was even a very young Robert Redford who played death in the episode.

I liked that one even though I can't remember the title. There are a bunch I used to have a job after high school so I would work until late in the evening. Usually got home around midnight or 1am and one of our local channels was showing back to back episodes of TZ so I would stay up and watch them on my old 10 inch black and white television while doing homework.

Man I loved that show. Haven't watched it in a long time. Maybe its time to start revisiting them.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

The Mad American   09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Kenji Wrote:By the way, I still don't know the meaning of that title. What is "Nick"? In the same title, I saw Johnny Depp and Christopher Walken's suspense movie....

Also a "Nick" in the US anyway is something very small. Like you nicked your finger which would mean you got a small cut on it or something got a small nick in it is a small break or scratch.

Not to confuse the answers that Dave and Sigo already gave but we like to use things in many different ways in the English language. Just to confuse the rest of the world I think.Wink

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Sigokat   09-19-2006, 01:08 PM
The Mad American Wrote:What was the episode of TZ that had an elderly woman holed up in her apartment in a snow storm and death comes to visit? I think it was even a very young Robert Redford who played death in the episode.

Nothing in the Dark

Quote:I liked that one even though I can't remember the title. There are a bunch I used to have a job after high school so I would work until late in the evening. Usually got home around midnight or 1am and one of our local channels was showing back to back episodes of TZ so I would stay up and watch them on my old 10 inch black and white television while doing homework.

Man I loved that show. Haven't watched it in a long time. Maybe its time to start revisiting them.

Got an episode question? Ask me, I've come to realize that I'm almost an expert with the TZ titles.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Sigokat   09-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Anyone remember Living Doll with Telly Savalas?

"My name's Talking Tina and I'm going to kill you."

That doll was evil!!

What You Need is another of my favorites, even though it is not one of the more popular/well known eps. I remember seeing it only once as a kid and over the years I tried to find it again, but had no luck (I didn't know the name of the title at the time) I started to believe that perhaps it wasn't a TZ; but I remembered the plot and even Rod Serling's voice doing the narration at the end. Finally, by chance, I found it in a local music/video store in college that had a bunch of old ST and TZ stuff. I convinced the guy to let me buy all the TZ (these were VHS). So now I'm happy.
This post was last modified: 09-19-2006, 01:23 PM by Sigokat.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Kenji   09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
sigokat Wrote:Anyone remember Living Doll with Telly Savalas?

"My name's Talking Tina and I'm going to kill you."

That doll was evil!!

What You Need is another of my favorites, even though it is not one of the more popular/well known eps. I remember seeing it only once as a kid and over the years I tried to find it again, but had no luck (I didn't know the name of the title at the time) I started to believe that perhaps it wasn't a TZ; but I remembered the plot and even Rod Serling's voice doing the narration at the end. Finally, by chance, I found it in a local music/video store in college that had a bunch of old ST and TZ stuff. I convinced the guy to let me buy all the TZ (these were VHS). So now I'm happy.

Yeah, I remember "Living Doll".

The Twilight Zone had a lot of creepy doll's episodes. Ventriloquist and doll(The doll speaks to him), Dolls in the box (They try to escape from box), etc etc...They were good and weird!
jimbow8   09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yeah, I remember "Living Doll".

The Twilight Zone had a lot of creepy doll's episodes. Ventriloquist and doll(The doll speaks to him), Dolls in the box (They try to escape from box), etc etc...They were good and weird!
This reminded me of the movie Magic, in which Anthony Hopkins plays a ventriloquist.

I need to check out some of these old TZ episodes.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   09-19-2006, 08:05 PM
sigokat Wrote:mmmm, that's tough to explain. Its a common phrase in America meaning. It means something like you just completed a task or something just in time or right before it was due or arrived.

Like, "Youjust caught the train in the nick of time." Meaning you just made it on the train before it left.

Understand? Sorry, not the best explaination, but I hope it helps.

To elaborate on what sigokat said, a nick is a very small cut. "He just nicked the surface."

So to nick something, means to barely touch it. The nick of time means to just barely do it in time -- like catch the train, as sigokat pointed out.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Dave Wrote:Not to be confused with the British slang of 'nick', which means to steal or take without permission.

"You're nicked!"

Dave

Isn't it also an English slang term for prison or a police station? Old Nick?

Ken V.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5