InfinityLtd   06-22-2004, 12:46 PM
WARNING: Here there be spoilers! Arrrrr, matey!

I'm a little over halfway through BLACK WIND (the Japanese fleet is about to hit Pearl Harbor), and I am really enjoying it so far. It took me a few pages to catch the rhythm on the narrator changes (going from first- to third-person). I've always been interested in this period of history, but I'm really waiting to see what changes are wrought by the presence of the Kakureta Kao (oh, I hope I spelled that right--I was too lazy to pull out the book and look it up).

I feel sorry for the choice that Meiko has before her: to stay with Frank or go back to Japan with Matsuo. Neither one seems particularly happy since no matter who she stays with, she's going to hurt the other. I hope she ends up happy--poor kid deserves it.

Okay, back to reading once lunchtime rolls around.

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

"All things serve the Beam." -- Stephen King

Paper clips: the larval stage of coat hangers.
Kenji   06-22-2004, 05:18 PM
InfinityLtd Wrote:WARNING: Here there be spoilers! Arrrrr, matey!

I'm a little over halfway through BLACK WIND (the Japanese fleet is about to hit Pearl Harbor), and I am really enjoying it so far. It took me a few pages to catch the rhythm on the narrator changes (going from first- to third-person). I've always been interested in this period of history, but I'm really waiting to see what changes are wrought by the presence of the Kakureta Kao (oh, I hope I spelled that right--I was too lazy to pull out the book and look it up).

I feel sorry for the choice that Meiko has before her: to stay with Frank or go back to Japan with Matsuo. Neither one seems particularly happy since no matter who she stays with, she's going to hurt the other. I hope she ends up happy--poor kid deserves it.

Okay, back to reading once lunchtime rolls around.

Hi, IfinityLTD

About one years ago, I finished read this book. You're right, this novel is awesome.

You mentioned characters name, Meiko. Well, we(Japanese) pronunciation her name is Akiko. In Japanese edition, her name is "明子". and Matsuo is "松男". But a........perhaps, in this case, Japanese translator was wrong. Meiko is "芽衣子", But I don't know why, her name translated "明子". Big Grin
InfinityLtd   06-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Hi, IfinityLTD

About one years ago, I finished read this book. You're right, this novel is awesome.

You mentioned characters name, Meiko. Well, we(Japanese) pronunciation her name is Akiko. In Japanese edition, her name is "明子". and Matsuo is "松男". But a........perhaps, in this case, Japanese translator was wrong. Meiko is "芽衣子", But I don't know why, her name translated "明子". Big Grin

That's too funny that Meiko/Akiko's name changed from one country to another. Smile

One thing I was wondering about, and you would probably be the best person to answer this: I noticed that each chapter (year) is subtitled "The Year of the ---." I didn't realize that the Japanese also used this system (i.e. the twelve animals of the zodiac). Does it mesh with the Chinese years or are they separate (for example: China's Year of the Dragon would be Japan's Year of the Horse)?

Thank you for the knowledge! Big Grin

Eric S. Bauman

"Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." -- John Barth

Kenji   06-22-2004, 05:48 PM
InfinityLtd Wrote:That's too funny that Meiko/Akiko's name changed from one country to another. Smile

One thing I was wondering about, and you would probably be the best person to answer this: I noticed that each chapter (year) is subtitled "The Year of the ---." I didn't realize that the Japanese also used this system (i.e. the twelve animals of the zodiac). Does it mesh with the Chinese years or are they separate (for example: China's Year of the Dragon would be Japan's Year of the Horse)?

Thank you for the knowledge! Big Grin

Ah! That's mean, Eto. we call it "干支(Eto)". Every year change that animal name. mouse, cow, tiger, dragon, snake, horse, rabitt, sheep, dog, monkey, bird, wild boar. And....actually I don't know China's year. Maybe same with Japan.
InfinityLtd   06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Ah! That's mean, Eto. we call it "干支(Eto)". Every year change that animal name. mouse, cow, tiger, dragon, snake, horse, rabitt, sheep, dog, monkey, bird, wild boar. And....actually I don't know China's year. Maybe same with Japan.

I apologize, Kenji-san. I know that Japan and (the other country) don't get along very well. I worked hard to try to find a way to phrase my question without the comparison, but I just couldn't figure out how.

Eric S. Bauman