Pages (2): 1 2   
Mark S.   08-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Looks promising. Check it out: http://heroes.nbc.com/

Definitely a super hero concept. No capes and tights though, which is a good call.
KRW   08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
It doesn't look bad and it does have diversity, I'll give it that. (But there's still no Indians in itWink ) It sort of reminds me of the X-men.
Mark S.   08-28-2006, 08:59 PM
KRW Wrote:It sort of reminds me of the X-men.

Me, too.

I suspect that if you scratched the producers and writers of this show, you'd come up with more than a few comic-book fans. Honestly, had I been the guy doing the X-films, this is more of the route I would have taken --- more emphasis on characters and less attention on costumes. I loved the first two X-Men films, but honestly, there were times that the get-ups made me giggle. What works in a comic-book doesn't always work onscreen.
KRW   08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Mark S. Wrote:Me, too.

I suspect that if you scratched the producers and writers of this show, you'd come up with more than a few comic-book fans. Honestly, had I been the guy doing the X-films, this is more of the route I would have taken --- more emphasis on characters and less attention on costumes. I loved the first two X-Men films, but honestly, there were times that the get-ups made me giggle. What works in a comic-book doesn't always work onscreen.

I didn't feel like they spent "too" much time on the costumes, and I loved when Wolverine first sees them and says, "At least it's not yellow spandex."Big Grin
saynomore   08-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Actually, it reminds me more of "Unbreakable" meets "Smallville." Superheroes discovering their powers before donning the "yellow spandex." From the behind-the-scenes preview shown at the movie theaters, all of these "heroes" will be gathering to meet some terrible evil force. Sounds more like Legion of Superheroes than X-Men.

AC

P.S. I hope this show lives up to its hype.
Mark S.   08-28-2006, 09:56 PM
KRW Wrote:I didn't feel like they spent "too" much time on the costumes, and I loved when Wolverine first sees them and says, "At least it's not yellow spandex."Big Grin

X-2 was a great movie, but when I was sitting in the theatre and Wolverine showed up, I think half the audience giggled at his hair. Just little absurdities like that. Magneto's helmet was another one.

Spidey is the same way. His costume you can excuse, 'cause he started off as a pro-wrestler, and that circus thrives on the absurd. But Green Goblin looked like he flew in off an episode of Might Morphin' Power Rangers.
Mark S.   08-28-2006, 09:59 PM
saynomore Wrote:Actually, it reminds me more of "Unbreakable" meets "Smallville."

It wouldn't surprise me if that was exactly how it was pitched.

Does NBC own a record label? I hope not. 'Cause that's the worst thing about Smallville --- having to endure all the terrible music they advertise in each episode.

saynomore Wrote:I hope this show lives up to its hype.

Me, too.
KRW   08-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Mark S. Wrote:X-2 was a great movie, but when I was sitting in the theatre and Wolverine showed up, I think half the audience giggled at his hair. Just little absurdities like that. Magneto's helmet was another one.

Spidey is the same way. His costume you can excuse, 'cause he started off as a pro-wrestler, and that circus thrives on the absurd. But Green Goblin looked like he flew in off an episode of Might Morphin' Power Rangers.

Unless it's Zorro, everyones costume is cheesy. But it's part of the saga.

Ken
Mark S.   08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
KRW Wrote:Unless it's Zorro, everyones costume is cheesy. But it's part of the saga.

Zorro the Gay Blade is one of my great guilty pleasures. Very politically incorrect, and all the funnier for being so.
Mark S.   08-30-2006, 02:31 PM
KRW Wrote:But it's part of the saga.

Sure. But the best stories at least make the attempt of explaining it. Superman dresses like a dude from Krypton. Batman's costume is supposed to scare the bad guys when he comes out of the shadows. Spidey is a former wrestler.

But really, if I woke up tomorrow and found my skin was unbreakable, that I had super strength, that I could fly or see through walls, my first instinct would not be to don tights and a cape. That still kinda works in comic books, but if you are translating a story from comics to film, you need to make some wise decisions on how that is going to translate.
Pages (2): 1 2