Pages (14):    1 2 3 4 5 14   
Terry Willacker   07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes, thanks for all of the great entertainment.
Noelie   07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
My brother handed me The Keep and said, "You HAVE to read this book." I said, "Meh." He said, "No, really. You HAVE to read this book." So to get him off my back, I started reading it. And the rest, as they say, is history.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
cobalt   07-11-2006, 07:34 PM
wdg3rd Wrote:Well, I've been around quite a while, I just don't have a lot of time for forum reading and posting -- the only one I'm particularly active on is the Free State Project. I mostly communicate on mailing lists, and recognize a name or two here from the smith2004 Yahoo list. (Hi, Ken.)
See.............bad cobalt ....again........not looking when you joined. Sad

EWMAN
KRW   07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Is that what happened to my sanity and happiness?!?!? I always wondered... :p Wink

Well, I can't take all the credit..........Wink

Ken
Pleiades   07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
"The Haunted Air" was the first RJ novel I read. I was looking for a series character (hey, if enough people liked it that the author wrote a followup book...). I found "Gateways" in the New Science Fiction section of my library. I looked inside the jacket and it said something about after Jack's adventures in "The Haunted Air". In our SciFi section, there was "The Haunted Air". So I grabbed them both, thinking I had the whole series. Someone was bugging me to get a move on (I won't mention Barbara's name here), so I left without looking inside to find that there were 5 books preceeding this one. I was hooked! My library doesn't have the books before THA, but I managed to get them. At some point I moved onto the Adversary Cycle novels, FPW's LaNague (sp?) books, his medical thrillers. Where was this guy all my reading life? My library says they will automatically order any books with Paul as an author, since I annoy them until they do anyway. As proof, Thriller appeared on the new books shelf last week.

I can (and do) read Paul's books over and over again, and still enjoy them and find new tidbits or character traits. Paul, whatever you do, don't go hunting with Dick Cheny.

You really only need three things: WD-40, Duct Tape, and a pointy stick. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the Duct Tape. If you want it to move and it doesn't want to, use the pointy stick. The rest of life is easy.
Lisa   07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
An Enemy of the State. I thought Peter LaNague looked cute on the cover. I was 14. It was the 80s. I had big hair. It's all good.

Followed just after by The Keep.

Both books were a part of my parents' library.

Lisa
tooleman   07-11-2006, 10:51 PM
My first FPW book was The Keep, after seeing the movie on HBO (way back when), because the story had so much potential I sat through the credits, discovered who wrote the book, tracked it down and bought it. After The Keep I read The Tomb, this was around 1988. I didn’t think of either until September 7, 2005 when I found a paperback Berkley copy of The Tomb in the reading area at Banner Baywood Hospital, I appropriated it and have since purchased all of the RJ books in hardcover and got them all signed. I haven’t stopped, I’m continuing to collect all hardcover first edition by FPW I can find, the rubric is; they must be in excellent condition and signed first editions. I found a copy of Freak Show with a slip case signed by all the authors, pretty scarce I hear.

tooleman
Ken Valentine   07-11-2006, 11:11 PM
wdg3rd Wrote:Well, I've been around quite a while, I just don't have a lot of time for forum reading and posting -- the only one I'm particularly active on is the Free State Project. I mostly communicate on mailing lists, and recognize a name or two here from the smith2004 Yahoo list. (Hi, Ken.)

Hi right back Ward!

Ken V.
webby   07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Noelie Wrote:My brother handed me The Keep and said, "You HAVE to read this book." I said, "Meh." He said, "No, really. You HAVE to read this book." So to get him off my back, I started reading it. And the rest, as they say, is history.

You said "Meh"??

I love it! I've never seen (or heard) that particular expression before, but it's great! Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medusa   07-11-2006, 11:58 PM
I had bought The Keep oh so many years ago I can't even remember. Then one day I saw The Tomb and realized it was the same author. Fell in love with Repairman Jack and didn't expect a sequel because of the ending. Years go by and I find Conspiracies and lo and behold here's Repairman Jack again! I was shocked. So I go online to Barnes and Noble and find out all I'd missed. Shocked to find out that The Keep and The Tomb were "related". I went on a mission to get all the Repairman Jack's and the Advesary Cycle. When I finally got up to date on the books I discovered this forum and joined the family! I do enjoy all of Dr. Wilson's books but Jack will always be my favorite character!
Pages (14):    1 2 3 4 5 14