Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Lisa   07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Tony, the way you centered that post turns me on. Will you marry me?

Excelsior, I'm not sure if you're aware that Jack's supernatural future was determined a decade and a half ago by his appearance in NIGHTWORLD. I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion, just wondering if you have read the rest of the Adversary Cycle. It would explain a lot for you and might make the RJ books more enjoyable.

Lisa
Tony H   07-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Biggles Wrote:Now Tony, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I don't think his post was at all disrespectful, and in turn is worthy of our respect. Smile

There was no disrespect intended in my post Biggles. I was simply stating that the poster could have easily determined their dislike of the character based on the first book.

When I am disrespectful, you'll know it. :p

Lisa Wrote:Tony, the way you centered that post turns me on. Will you marry me?

Of course...will that make me King?
This post was last modified: 07-12-2006, 08:22 AM by Tony H.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Dave   07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
AsMoral Wrote:
Lisa Wrote:Tony, the way you centered that post turns me on. Will you marry me?
Of course...will that make me King?
No, that is why Lizzies husband remains Prince Phillip.

Thank the all seeing eye.

Dave
Scott Hajek   07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Biggles Wrote:I love vampires! Maybe that's why I became a lawyer. :confused:

Aspiring to be a "blood-sucking leech?"

What's the difference between a lawyer and a vampire?
Unfortunately only vampires are fictional.Big Grin

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Excelsior   07-12-2006, 12:15 PM
AsMoral Wrote:
I personally find Excelsior’s post ridiculous. Fine that they choose to give up on RJ but to use such a lame excuse as "I don't like supernatural and the otherness" when The Tomb was both mystical and supernatural. How can the book that got you reading the character be filled with all this mysticism and supernatural aspects and only down the line do you not like the direction the books have taken?

Jack was delivered to us amid ancient Bengali demons, a necklace that prevents its wearer from harm/aging and a curse that spanned many generations.

If you don't like the Supernatural then why did you finish The Tomb and pick up other books featuring Jack.

I am glad you're an FPW fan; I just think you're muckraking at this point and the basis of your decision is weak. But as others said, there are many non-otherness books out there by Paul that you may enjoy.

Whoa... whoa... whoa...

Let me address this in points.

1) No, I haven't read any of the Adversary cycle. I picked up "The Tomb", read the jacket and thought it'd be an interesting read. I came into it cold, with no knowledge whatsoever of the part it played in FPW's grand scheme. For that matter, I didn't know there was a grand scheme.

2) Yes, in the very first novel the supernatural was prevalent. But, as was stated before, in the very second novel, nada. I hoped that the first had been an element that was to be abandoned for the rest of the series.

3) I never said that I don't like supernatural stories. Quite the opposite, I think.

4) I kept going back to the RJ series because A) I like the writing, and B) I kept hoping that the supernatural elements would play second fiddle to the natural. Each time I went back hoping that this book would be different - either the way the elements blended, or that my opinion of them would change. Well, after strike 4, I was out.

I never intended this thread to cause any kind of a stir. I just wanted to let my thought out, and frankly I'm tired of explaining myself. Thanks to everyone who added a kind thought. Ciao.
Tony H   07-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Dave Wrote:No, that is why Lizzies husband remains Prince Phillip.

Thank the all seeing eye.

Dave

Wow...Damn British people! Just for that I am removing "The Catherine Tate Show" from my Tivo!

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
Tony H   07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Excelsior Wrote:Whoa... whoa... whoa...

Let me address this in points.

1) No, I haven't read any of the Adversary cycle. I picked up "The Tomb", read the jacket and thought it'd be an interesting read. I came into it cold, with no knowledge whatsoever of the part it played in FPW's grand scheme. For that matter, I didn't know there was a grand scheme.

2) Yes, in the very first novel the supernatural was prevalent. But, as was stated before, in the very second novel, nada. I hoped that the first had been an element that was to be abandoned for the rest of the series.

3) I never said that I don't like supernatural stories. Quite the opposite, I think.

4) I kept going back to the RJ series because A) I like the writing, and B) I kept hoping that the supernatural elements would play second fiddle to the natural. Each time I went back hoping that this book would be different - either the way the elements blended, or that my opinion of them would change. Well, after strike 4, I was out.

I never intended this thread to cause any kind of a stir. I just wanted to let my thought out, and frankly I'm tired of explaining myself. Thanks to everyone who added a kind thought. Ciao.

Now now Excelsior...don't let me run you off. I think it's awesome your a fan of the Effster. As far as creating a stir...it didn't; your comments were well recieved.

Keep posting, we have plenty to discuss on this site and your bound to find something to pique your interest. Do you like Haiku's?

And as far as explaining yourself...that's what we do on this board...have you checked out the Brokeback Mountain thread or any of the political discussions? A lot of explaining going on, it's how we get to know each other.

And speaking of knowing each other...anyone on the board, for the exception of Biggles apparently, knows me and knows there was no malicious intent in my post. Though I can be an asshole, rest assured at that moment I wasn't.

Stick around, many of us started out creating stirs. Like Jimbo, who, no matter how hard we tried, refused to go away. Now he has been assimilated.

Certified 100% Serious
jimbow8   07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
AsMoral Wrote:Stick around, many of us started out creating stirs. Like Jimbo, who, no matter how hard we tried, refused to go away. Now he has been assimilated.
Hey, Tony. Do you have a can opener?

[Image: milspec-frt1-4x5_small.jpg]

Oh, never mind! It's a pop-top!!!
This post was last modified: 07-13-2006, 09:19 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Tony H   07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Hey, Tony. Do you have a can opener?

[Image: milspec-frt1-4x5_small.jpg]

Oh, never mind! It's a pop-top!!!

That's pretty damn funny! LOL

Certified 100% Serious
Scott Hajek   07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
AsMoral Wrote:And speaking of knowing each other...anyone on the board, for the exception of Biggles apparently, knows me and knows there was no malicious intent in my post. Though I can be an asshole, rest assured at that moment I wasn't.

Since when? I've never known you to be one.

AsMoral Wrote:Stick around, many of us started out creating stirs. Like Jimbo, who, no matter how hard we tried, refused to go away. Now he has been assimilated.

Maybe we should've tried harder, eh?Big Grin

Though, I shouldn't be one to talk, I've done my share of stirring and had many restless nights figuring that I was on everyone's "ignore" list because of it. Then again, nobody's going to be reading this post, are they? Except maybe the noobs who haven't figured out the board...

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5