Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7   
Ossicle   06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Maggers Wrote:On my screen there's a search button at the top of the board. Click it and type in what you want to search, and voila.
I think you misread what I wrote! I said I DO know how to search. Smile
Maggers   06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
Ossicle Wrote:I think you misread what I wrote! I said I DO know how to search. Smile

Ooops... ah well.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

webby   06-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Ossicle Wrote:I only started reading them a few months ago and am really enjoying them.

I've read:

RELIC
RELIQUARY
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
RIPTIDE
THUNDERHEAD (about ten pages from the end right not)

I bring them up because many of them take place in New York City and are loaded with factual information about the city's streets and buildings. As a native New Yorker this brings an added dimension of fun, and also strongly reminds me of FPW's similar, lovingly detailed locations -- so I feel like the stories take place in the RK universe, even though Jack himself never makes an appearance.

The books are also similar in that they're loaded with protagonists who have far more initiative and intelligence than the people around them, and as a result get more involved with strange goings-on and as a result are able to save the world.

A main, recurring character throughout a subset of the books is Agent Pendergast of the FBI, a mysterious fellow who seems empowered by the Agency to investigate just about anything that strikes his interest. He's a great character and I look forward to reading the subsequent books that apparently tell more about him. I'd love for he and Jack to meet up in some cross-over story!

FPW, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you've ever met Preston and/or Childs and if anything fun was said! Big Grin

-Oss

Trying to stick more to your original intent...Smile

I agree that it feels like Pendergast and RJ live in the same universe. I almost half-expect to catch a glimpse of Pendergast in an RJ novel and vice versa. It could be done, without necessarily being a full-blown story.

For example, I have also read a lot of Robert Crais novels and a lot of Michael Connelly novels. Both authors set their stories in the L.A. area, and each has a series running with recurring characters. Crais has Elvis Cole and Connelly has Harry Bosch. You'd get the same feeling reading their books as we were describing with Pendargast and Jack.

So, (gosh darn it, my memory is on vacation today! I can't remember the book titles!) In a recent R. Crais book, Elvis Cole nods a passing hello to a guy who lives sort-of in his neighborhood...Harry Bosch! And in a M. Connelly book published at about the same time, Harry Bosch has a similar incident with this guy he's seen around a lot...Elvis Cole!

It was a very cool thing to do and a real treat for those who are fans of both authors. Cool

Maybe something similar could happen with Pendergast and Jack?????

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cobalt   06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm reading "The Book of the Dead" now. Give me a few days and we can discuss away!

EWMAN
Ossicle   06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
webby Wrote:I agree that it feels like Pendergast and RJ live in the same universe. I almost half-expect to catch a glimpse of Pendergast in an RJ novel and vice versa. It could be done, without necessarily being a full-blown story.
Exactly! I would shout for joy and jump up and down on my couch if that ever happened!! (Except... see below.)

webby Wrote:In a recent R. Crais book, Elvis Cole nods a passing hello to a guy who lives sort-of in his neighborhood...Harry Bosch! And in a M. Connelly book published at about the same time, Harry Bosch has a similar incident with this guy he's seen around a lot...Elvis Cole!
Cool!

webby Wrote:Maybe something similar could happen with Pendergast and Jack?????
Like I said, I would love this... except, at least as far as my current reading goes, Pendergast's world doesn't seem to contain any magic/supernature -- everything ultimately has a material explanation, so I don't think the worlds do in fact fit together. (If anyone knows that later Pendergast novels DO allow the supernatual, please provide a SPOILER warning, I don't want to find out beforehand!)

-O
jaybird   06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Ossicle Wrote:No, but the fault must be mine: I intended the quantitatively smaller part of my post to be more of its central idea -- the overlap (only in readers' minds, of course) between the RJ universe and the P-C universe, any fun/interesting thoughts and feelings it stirs in readers, etc.

I do know how to search the site for past threads, thanks. I hoped to start a new discussion along the above lines, though.

-o
BOOM!!!!! Busted by the forum cops. Run dude! Hurry. She's gonna catch you.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night
webby   06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Ossicle Wrote:Exactly! I would shout for joy and jump up and down on my couch if that ever happened!! (Except... see below.)

Cool!

Like I said, I would love this... except, at least as far as my current reading goes, Pendergast's world doesn't seem to contain any magic/supernature -- everything ultimately has a material explanation, so I don't think the worlds do in fact fit together. (If anyone knows that later Pendergast novels DO allow the supernatual, please provide a SPOILER warning, I don't want to find out beforehand!)

-O

But, only a few people in Jack's world are really aware of the supernatural influence on daily life. Pendergast could live in Jack's world, just not know about the Otherness.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ossicle   06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
webby Wrote:But, only a few people in Jack's world are really aware of the supernatural influence on daily life. Pendergast could live in Jack's world, just not know about the Otherness.
You're right, that occurred to me after I posted. Makes it even more fun!
cobalt   06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
It would be neat to see some kind of "passing" relationship. Pendergast is this ultra smart detective, but Jack is savvy, street smart and is totally aware of the Otherness influence on the world. It probably couldn't happen, but it's fun to speculate! You know, something weird that throws Pendergast off his tract, yet Jack comes in and "fixes" the problem as only he can.

EWMAN
Scott Hajek   06-29-2006, 11:48 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I'm reading "The Book of the Dead" now. Give me a few days and we can discuss away!

As soon as you finish, let us all know... we can post in a SPOILER ALERT thread and discuss the "issues" I have with this book.... not all are bad, some are very, very good.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Pages (7):    1 2 3 4 5 7