Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7   
Ossicle   06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
I only started reading them a few months ago and am really enjoying them.

I've read:

RELIC
RELIQUARY
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
RIPTIDE
THUNDERHEAD (about ten pages from the end right not)

I bring them up because many of them take place in New York City and are loaded with factual information about the city's streets and buildings. As a native New Yorker this brings an added dimension of fun, and also strongly reminds me of FPW's similar, lovingly detailed locations -- so I feel like the stories take place in the RK universe, even though Jack himself never makes an appearance.

The books are also similar in that they're loaded with protagonists who have far more initiative and intelligence than the people around them, and as a result get more involved with strange goings-on and as a result are able to save the world.

A main, recurring character throughout a subset of the books is Agent Pendergast of the FBI, a mysterious fellow who seems empowered by the Agency to investigate just about anything that strikes his interest. He's a great character and I look forward to reading the subsequent books that apparently tell more about him. I'd love for he and Jack to meet up in some cross-over story!

FPW, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you've ever met Preston and/or Childs and if anything fun was said! Big Grin

-Oss
hford713   06-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Currently reading their latest, "Book of the Dead".

Outside of FPW, they've always been my favorites.
Scott Hajek   06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I've read them all. Just finished "Book of the Dead" and would like to discuss it with anyone.... I've got issues with it.

I have truly enjoyed all their books. They are fast, fun reads.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Terry Willacker   06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
I have read them all except the latest. I enjoyed all of them, plus their solos.
I read Dance of Death, their second last, a while back. so partly to get ready for Book of the Dead, I listened to an audio version of DOD, which includes as an extra an interview with Pendergast conducted by the authors.
Noelie   06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I love Pendergast almost as much as Jack. Almost. Wink

I finished Book of the Dead a couple of weeks ago. I'm curious as to what issues you had with it, Scott... but I'm unsure of the proper place to discuss it, because I'm fairly sure we shouldn't litter this thread with spoilers.Smile

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
jaybird   06-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I have read all of the novels that have Agent Pendergast in them. I am going to start reading the others once I finish with what I'm reading now. I think that all of the books connect in some form or fashion.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night
webby   06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
I've also read all of them, including Book of the Dead.

Pendergast and D'Agosta remind me soooo much of Holmes and Watson. I think Preston & Child are aware of the similarities and have intentionally written them that way, especially in the last three books - the "Pendergast Trilogy" as it's informally known. I can't think of a specific at the moment, but I remember finding numerous little links and references that connected to Sherlock Holmes.

I wouldn't mind discussing Book of the Dead, Scott.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maggers   06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Ossicle Wrote:I only started reading them a few months ago and am really enjoying them.

I've read:

RELIC
RELIQUARY
CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
RIPTIDE
THUNDERHEAD (about ten pages from the end right not)

I bring them up because many of them take place in New York City and are loaded with factual information about the city's streets and buildings. As a native New Yorker this brings an added dimension of fun, and also strongly reminds me of FPW's similar, lovingly detailed locations -- so I feel like the stories take place in the RK universe, even though Jack himself never makes an appearance.

FPW, if you're reading this, I'm curious if you've ever met Preston and/or Childs and if anything fun was said! Big Grin

-Oss

This thread really belongs in "off topic discussions" rather than the RJ section.

At any rate, there are tons of posts and threads about Preston/Child. I was at book signing for them recently in the B&N at Lincoln Square. See this thread:
http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showt...ston+child

Here's another on Preston/Child:

And another:

And another:

And there are many posts on the various "who's reading what" threads about Preston/Child books.

My favorite has been "Thunderhead," but they are all excellent.

I just re-read "Relic" and "Reliquary" and LOVED them all over again. I can't believe that I'd forgotten that Pendergast makes his first appearance in "Relic." I read the book long ago.

I have a problem, though, with their setting of the Museum. In "Relic" in particular, they mention that offices in the Museum look out over Riverside Drive. They also mention that the Museum looks over Central Park. Huh? I got the impression they were not referring to offices in any towers or upper floors of the building, either.

Of course, theirs is a fictionalized version of the Museum, i.e., The New York Museum of Natural History. But the building itself, forget about all the underground tunnels that play such an important part in the stories, would have to be as wide as the entire West Side, running from Central Park West all the way over to Riverside Drive. That would be one hell of a mammoth building and would block traffic on Amsterdam, Broadway and West End Avenue.

At the recent book signing, I was surprised to see how different Lincoln Child looks compared to his photos in "Relic" and "Reliquary." Granted they were written about 10-12 years ago (?), but he looks like a different person.
This post was last modified: 06-29-2006, 02:07 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ossicle   06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Maggers Wrote:This thread really belongs in "off topic discussions" rather than the RJ section.

No, but the fault must be mine: I intended the quantitatively smaller part of my post to be more of its central idea -- the overlap (only in readers' minds, of course) between the RJ universe and the P-C universe, any fun/interesting thoughts and feelings it stirs in readers, etc.

I do know how to search the site for past threads, thanks. I hoped to start a new discussion along the above lines, though.

-o
Maggers   06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Ossicle Wrote:...I do know how to search the site for past threads...
On my screen there's a search button at the top of the board. Click it and type in what you want to search, and voila.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (7): 1 2 3 4 5 7