Kenji   06-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow! I MUST SEE THIS IN A THEATRE! Cool I think it will be Shyamalan's best film.

Lady in the Water:trailer

How 'bout you? You intend to see it in a theatre? Or you'll wait DVD?
This post was last modified: 06-29-2006, 10:41 AM by Kenji.
jimbow8   06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
I will definitely see this in the theater. MNS has not done wrong by me yet.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
saynomore   06-29-2006, 02:13 PM
As we know, MNS loves surprize endings. Based on the third of the previews that I saw before Superman Returns yesterday, I would say that................................................................................................................................................Possible Spoiler ahead..................................................................................................

The lady in the water is the bad guy, and those evil looking "wolves" are the good guys. :eek:

AC

P.S. Taking bets.
BrettM   06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
I was pretty disappointed by "Signs", though it was filmed at my old alma mater, in one of the fields that I farmed for three summers. And "The Village" wasn't entirely up to "Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable", though it wasn't as predictable as some of the critics made it out to be. All in all, Shyamalan has enough of a track record that I WILL see it in the theater, and I WILL get the DVD just to see all the great extras he includes, even if I'm not fond of the flick. Every one of his films so far, even "Signs", has been worth seeing in the theater at least once!

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
webby   06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I'll wait for DVD on this one. Sixth Sense was awesome. Unbreakable was pretty good. But since then I've been disappointed, especially with Signs...

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!
I thought Signs was kind of stupid, to be blunt. When the main characters see the alien in the film clip on their tv, it looked like somebody wearing a liberated "Creature from the Black Lagoon" costume. You could practically see the zipper.

Then, when it was over, I thought, well...duh. What kind of advanced alien race, to which water is poison, would come to take over a planet that is more than two-thirds WATER??!! What - they couldn't see it from a distance? They couldn't analyze it before they landed all the ships? They'd been around before - leaving crop circles. You'd think they'd have noticed all the WATER.
Rolleyes

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jimbow8   06-29-2006, 03:05 PM
webby Wrote:I'll wait for DVD on this one. Sixth Sense was awesome. Unbreakable was pretty good. But since then I've been disappointed, especially with Signs...

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING!
I thought Signs was kind of stupid, to be blunt. When the main characters see the alien in the film clip on their tv, it looked like somebody wearing a liberated "Creature from the Black Lagoon" costume. You could practically see the zipper.

Then, when it was over, I thought, well...duh. What kind of advanced alien race, to which water is poison, would come to take over a planet that is more than two-thirds WATER??!! What - they couldn't see it from a distance? They couldn't analyze it before they landed all the ships? They'd been around before - leaving crop circles. You'd think they'd have noticed all the WATER.
Rolleyes
I take all of that as inconsequential and view it as a story about FAITH and FATE. Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
cobalt   06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
There was one really funny thing I remember about "Signs" The scene where the dad, Mel Gibson's character, walks into the living room. His kids AND his brother have on Aluminum foil hats............like Hershey Kisses............I don't remember what the lines where...it just struck me as really funny, all three of them just sitting there. :p

EWMAN
Kenji   06-29-2006, 05:34 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:There was one really funny thing I remember about "Signs" The scene where the dad, Mel Gibson's character, walks into the living room. His kids AND his brother have on Aluminum foil hats............like Hershey Kisses............I don't remember what the lines where...it just struck me as really funny, all three of them just sitting there. :p

Haha! Yeah, that scene was hilarious! Big Grin
BrettM   06-29-2006, 07:57 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I take all of that as inconsequential and view it as a story about FAITH and FATE. Wink
A lot of people found it inconsequential, but I find it much harder to listen to the message if the story breaks my suspension of disbelief. I couldn't get past the water thing, either. I guess some people are able to cruise right on by such howlers, while others are just jarred right out of the storyline. (I can't enjoy most sci-fi films for the same reason. Watching them is like being repeatedly struck in the head with a baseball bat. Very distracting. Smile)

Saynomore, keep in mind that Shyamalan's bad guys can be pretty sympathetic (e.g., the Glass Man), and his twists often have more than one turn. I suspect it's not going to be quite that simple.

Has anyone else wondered why all the scenes he deleted from his movies are added back in when they're broadcast on TV? It's not like we're getting "director's cuts" of the films, since Shyamalan cut those scenes himself, for reasons he explains on the DVDs. Of course, I often disagree with his reasons, and I'm glad to see some of those scenes restored in their proper places, rather than as outtakes. But, still, I wonder if he's bothered by it, or if he changed his mind and approved the restoration.

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
neotank   07-02-2006, 10:29 AM
MNS is a great filmmaker. I loved all his movies. I really thought the Village was underated. A lot of people hated it, while I have seen it multiple times and still enjoy it.

I think Unbreakable is his most solid work. He supposedly was going to make it a trilogy but because it didn't make 'sixth sense' type money, he moved on to Signs.

MNS seems like the modern day Hitchcock. His one bad point is that he cares to much about how much money his films make, and seems to try a little to hard to throw a twist into his endings.

I thought Signs was a great flick, (and yeah, the water thing kinda left me like HUH?) but he seemed to force that little twist ending. It didn't flow as well as Sixth sense, Unbreakable.

But I will say that his best scene of all his movies was the scene in signs when they are watching the news on TV and it shows some foriegn to me country where a bunch of kids looking out a window at school and all the sudden that alien runs by real quick. YIKES! At the show I almost dumped my popcorn on whoever was in front of me.