Pages (3):    1 2 3   
KRW   06-18-2006, 06:28 PM
luthie2 Wrote:*******Minor Spoilers Ahead*********

I loved this story! Anything that starts out with Jack dropping a wreath at the top of the Empire State Building in honor of Kong has got to be a good time.
I thought this was cool seeing as how I have just bought an original King Kong movie poster and my daughter bought me the new Kong for fathers day! I also waited til today to read the story, the book was a present from my wife. (she didn't think I could wait that long!)

luthie2 Wrote:my favorite, "Was there a community model?" Big Grin

-Luthie

This one nearly went over my head , but then it crashed down on me like a ton of bricks! Excellant!

Ken
jimbow8   06-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I just read Interlude. Wonderful.

Joe Konrath's story was great, too. Both had that dark humor.
This post was last modified: 06-18-2006, 11:25 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just read [i[Interlude[/i]. Wonderful.

Joe Konrath's story was great, too. Both had that dark humor.

Dark humor? What was dark about it? :confused:

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
jimbow8   06-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Biggles Wrote:Dark humor? What was dark about it? :confused:
:confused: Umm, humor in the face of violence and danger, etc.

Maybe it isn't the correct term, but I assumed people would understand.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
BrettM   06-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Naturally I read the RJ story first. Then I turned back to the beginning of the book.

The first story had a protagonist named Jack. "Hmmm, what a coincidence," I thought.

The second story featured a character who has a brush with the series protagonist, named Jack. The third story featured a minor character from a series with a female protagonist ... nicknamed "Jack".

Now I'm afraid to read the fourth story.

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
webby   06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
BrettM Wrote:Naturally I read the RJ story first. Then I turned back to the beginning of the book.

The first story had a protagonist named Jack. "Hmmm, what a coincidence," I thought.

The second story featured a character who has a brush with the series protagonist, named Jack. The third story featured a minor character from a series with a female protagonist ... nicknamed "Jack".

Now I'm afraid to read the fourth story.

Brett

Ha! I noticed that too. Big Grin So what am I reading right now? A "Jack Reacher" novel. I'm so confused. :confused:

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
luthie2   06-19-2006, 11:00 AM
webby Wrote:Ha! I noticed that too. Big Grin So what am I reading right now? A "Jack Reacher" novel. I'm so confused. :confused:

Me too! Methinks they should have put the stories in a slightly different order. LOL
BrettM   06-19-2006, 06:13 PM
luthie2 Wrote:Me too! Methinks they should have put the stories in a slightly different order. LOL
You mean it's safe to read the fourth story? ITW doesn't really have a membership requirement that your main series character be named Jack? ("ITW: The House that Jack Built ... Literally" Smile I wonder if Tom Clancy's a member?)

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
cobalt   06-19-2006, 09:17 PM
luthie2 Wrote:Me too! Methinks they should have put the stories in a slightly different order. LOL
I thought I was the only one with "Jacks in a row" theme. Good to know I'm not seeing things! :p

EWMAN
SickThing   06-21-2006, 01:15 AM
I still have the last 4 stories to read, but Thriller is the first anthology I've read in years that contained no clunkers. I bought it for the Gregg Hurwitz and F. Paul Wilson stories, and had only read a couple of the authors in it. So I've been pleasantly surprised by all the stories and authors. Some are better than others, but all of them have been good, which is very rare. In fact, I'm not sure that's been true of any anthology for me since Silver Scream and Stalkers from the late '80s. And now I have more authors to seek out.

(Has anyone else here read Gregg Hurwitz's novels? I've enjoyed them all immensely.)

Hunter
Pages (3):    1 2 3