Pages (2):    1 2
webby   06-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I think that if there was an idea for the form of the end product, it may be easier to develop a means to sort through the myriad of data. A searchable database, a cross-reference chart, a running encyclopedic entry all involve different ways of compiling the data. At least I would do things differently.

Absolutely right. Knowing what the final product should look like and how it should function is the first step. Then you know what options are available for actually implementing it.

Personally, I like searchable databases. But for something that would be very quick to get off the ground, relatively easy to use, and free of charge... there are a lot of wiki options for a running ecyclopedic entry.

For a large list of wiki farms with feature comparisons check out Wikipedia. I've only looked at a couple of them, but Wikispaces looks pretty good.
This post was last modified: 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM by webby.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
APhew   06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
Actually, this was always intended to be a type of e-book and not a database. The Grand Unification is only part of what the Compendium is going to be. There would be a section for each book that had a standard layout which would also include the ties it made on the GU.

What needs to happen (IMO) is that we need to get a solid list of editors together. Only then can we begin work on it. The initial draft need only be a plain text file for all I care, the most important thing is getting all of the information gathered and somewhat organized. We lost quite a bit of information off the other Compendium thread when the database for this MB um... "hicupped". I haven't read through what's left, but I think we were trying to get people to write essay's and gather ideas for other sections of the Compendium. I have a lot of things saved from past attempts to get this project rolling, so I'm not worried about a starting point.

Anybody who thinks they would have time to devote to this project, please e-mail me at: Aphew88@gmail.com with the subject line: FPW Compendium. It's way past time to get the ball rolling on this. Once I have at least 5 volunteers, we'll discuss details...
Pages (2):    1 2