Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
Amon   06-15-2006, 11:41 PM
I remember reading 'Goosebumps' novels by R.L. Stein when I was a kid. Big Grin
webby   06-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Medusa Wrote:When my son was about 8 he discovered Captain Underpants. Pretty stupid but he actually WANTED to read. I bought him the whole set. Of course now at 13 he doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

Captain Underpants?! That actually sounds pretty funny. Smile And so appropriate for boys that age. I had an underwear-and-cape superhero in my house when my son was about that age. Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   06-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Amon Wrote:I remember reading 'Goosebumps' novels by R.L. Stein when I was a kid. Big Grin

One of my favorite series as a 8 -10 year old was Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective. Each book had several "mini-mysteries" and the solutions were all at the end of the book so you could try to figure out the answers on your own. Cool

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medusa   06-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I had collected the entire hardback original series of Nancy Drew (not the old 1950's series). I still have the whole set in my closet. Never knew what to do with them.
Silverfish   06-16-2006, 03:36 AM
webby Wrote:One of my favorite series as a 8 -10 year old was Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective.

Fond memories.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Silverfish   06-16-2006, 03:37 AM
Medusa Wrote:I had collected the entire hardback original series of Nancy Drew (not the old 1950's series). I still have the whole set in my closet. Never knew what to do with them.

Keep them. They will be valuable some day.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
jen   06-16-2006, 10:25 AM
What I think makes the Harry Potter series so important isn't so much the work itself as it is that it opened so many doors for YA fiction (and as such, the YA audience) as a viable market in literature, giving kids and adults options beyond the cookie-cutter fare that was so prominent when I was growing up. Even if that wave of popularity is ebbing some, I'm convinced that that market will stay open and valid. Harry Potter's show that if you give kids something with more substance than Sweet Valley High, they will stick around and read it, and I think that's awesome. I'm excited for the RJ series. All of my cousins are definitely going to be getting copies for Christmas. Big Grin

And holy blast from the past, Batman! I haven't thought of Encyclopedia Brown in ages... And that reminds me of another old favourite: anyone remember The Three Investigators? Presented by Alfred Hitchcock, I don't think it lasted too long, but man, the original eight or that my dad had from his youth were my very favourites. Smile
webby   06-16-2006, 11:36 AM
jen Wrote:What I think makes the Harry Potter series so important isn't so much the work itself as it is that it opened so many doors for YA fiction (and as such, the YA audience) as a viable market in literature, giving kids and adults options beyond the cookie-cutter fare that was so prominent when I was growing up. Even if that wave of popularity is ebbing some, I'm convinced that that market will stay open and valid. Harry Potter's show that if you give kids something with more substance than Sweet Valley High, they will stick around and read it, and I think that's awesome. I'm excited for the RJ series. All of my cousins are definitely going to be getting copies for Christmas. Big Grin

Very well put, Jen. Substance is exactly what it is about, along with enough depth to make the story enjoyable for people of any age. And I'm sure we can count on the YA Jack series to have plenty of both.

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pmsurrey   06-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I really can't see any problem with older people reading about young Jack. To know him is to love him. I for one would love to know what he was like as a child or young adult and I am a grandmother. I read the Harry Potter books before I realized they were for kids. Didn't bother me and I had the added bonus of being able to have a conversation with my ten year old grandson on the same level.

PS, I have just found a bunch of your other books and have to say I am really impressed. By the way, thought you like to know it was Kenji, from Japan who introduced me to you. Thank you Kenji.
cobalt   06-16-2006, 10:47 PM
webby Wrote:One of my favorite series as a 8 -10 year old was Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective. Each book had several "mini-mysteries" and the solutions were all at the end of the book so you could try to figure out the answers on your own. Cool
Encyclopedia Brown! Dan just loved those books when he was younger............kept me hopping to find them for him. Big Grin

EWMAN
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4