Pages (3):    1 2 3
Susan   07-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Maggers Wrote:LOL, Susanita! Never give away your secrets!

I agree about dogs. I miss them madly and wish I could have one now, but my building doesn't allow them. My cats are wonderful, but my heart thumps for dogs. I never had kids but I did have lots of dog children. Loved them all and forever.

Same here, my friend. I've had lots of dog and cat children. My parents even call my animals their "grandpets".

cobalt79 Wrote:Susan,
What a great looking dog! None of my dogs like it whan I try to put a hat or a t-shirt on them. There was this one time we tried to put a sweater on Mollie our Weim. because it was winter and very cold.............she would have none of that! The only thing the "guys" allow are their collars and a bandana. Dignity in the dog world after all!

Thanks! Yeah, dogs don't really like wearing clothing. Go figure!

By the way, am I the only dog-lover out there obsessed with The Dog Whisperer? I can't stop watching those shows. LOL

I...need...help!

Susanita

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
cobalt   07-02-2006, 04:26 PM
That dogs understand us always amazes me. Voice inflection plays a part, but my guys know many a word or phrase. Go for a ride or go for a walk causes a flurry of activity with the dogs going for the drawer where I keep the leashes. It doesn't matter who says it or how it's said either! Wanna treat?, causes my big guy to poke and try to spin the turnstile of my cabinet to save me the effert. Can someone read a dogs mind? I don't know, but a soft voice and being an animal lover go a long way. My guys slink right up to friends that are dog lovers and are wary of those that are "afraid" Must have to do with the "smell" of fear I suppose. But one thing I've found to be VERY TRUE, if my dogs don't like a visitor at our gate........well pay them some heed!

EWMAN
webby   07-02-2006, 04:35 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:That dogs understand us always amazes me. Voice inflection plays a part, but my guys know many a word or phrase. Go for a ride or go for a walk causes a flurry of activity with the dogs going for the drawer where I keep the leashes. It doesn't matter who says it or how it's said either! Wanna treat?, causes my big guy to poke and try to spin the turnstile of my cabinet to save me the effert. Can someone read a dogs mind? I don't know, but a soft voice and being an animal lover go a long way. My guys slink right up to friends that are dog lovers and are wary of those that are "afraid" Must have to do with the "smell" of fear I suppose. But one thing I've found to be VERY TRUE, if my dogs don't like a visitor at our gate........well pay them some heed!

I love dogs, and I love cats even more. My cat not only understands English, she occaisionaly tries to speak it! Going into the vet's office, she very clearly screams "naooooooooo!". Give her a little turkey from the dinner table and she will say "wagobblle-gobblew", or something turkey-ish like that. Other things she can almost say are "yes" and "I don't know". And then, of course, there are the times when whatever you've said (like, "come in the pool and swim!") doesn't even merit a response other than a blank stare that conveys how completely ridiculous you are being. Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cobalt   07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
webby Wrote:I love dogs, and I love cats even more. My cat not only understands English, she occaisionaly tries to speak it! Going into the vet's office, she very clearly screams "naooooooooo!". Give her a little turkey from the dinner table and she will say "wagobblle-gobblew", or something turkey-ish like that. Other things she can almost say are "yes" and "I don't know". And then, of course, there are the times when whatever you've said (like, "come in the pool and swim!") doesn't even merit a response other than a blank stare that conveys how completely ridiculous you are being. Big Grin
Too funny Webby! LOL! My guys like to mumble to get your attention, especially if you're in a sad/bad mood. Once you ask" what?" brings a wagging "fur face" into your lap ( my guys weigh 45, 70 and 90 lbs!) to chase away your bad mood. :p

EWMAN
Silverfish   07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Can someone read a dogs mind?

Dr. Dolittle can. In all seriousness, I think that the answer to that is yes.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
KRW   07-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Susan Wrote:LOL! That shot was taken years ago. I had just come home after meeting Paul for the first time at the World Fantasy Convention in Corpus Cristi, TX.

They were giving those hats away and I went home and put it on my dog. But he kept wanting to chew on it, so needless to say, there was so Photoshop magic involved! So don't feel bad!

Susan

Great news! I've lost two hats to my dog since I posted! Now if I can just get him to sit on the scanner long enough, I can photo shop him to!Wink

Ken
BrettM   07-04-2006, 12:18 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:That dogs understand us always amazes me.
The reverse always amazes me! Think about it. Yes, they always understand "go for a ride", etc. But, WE always understand "pick me up", or "I want a treat", or "rub my belly", or "play with me", etc.

I'm not talking about just dogs, of course. This works with cats and ferrets, as well. You learn to communicate with your animal just as your animal learns to communicate with you.

It takes months, but, at the end, you build a certain set of expectations for your animal, and it builds a set of expectations for you. The trust builds. The same kind of thing works for me, even though my ferret is stone deaf. The words "go for a ride" have no meaning for him, yet I have no trouble making him understand it's time to "go for a ride".

Brett

*SLMW 1.0* No animals were harmed in the production of this message.
KRW   07-04-2006, 12:24 AM
BrettM Wrote:The reverse always amazes me! Think about it. Yes, they always understand "go for a ride", etc. But, WE always understand "pick me up", or "I want a treat", or "rub my belly", or "play with me", etc.

I'm not talking about just dogs, of course. This works with cats and ferrets, as well. You learn to communicate with your animal just as your animal learns to communicate with you.

It takes months, but, at the end, you build a certain set of expectations for your animal, and it builds a set of expectations for you. The trust builds. The same kind of thing works for me, even though my ferret is stone deaf. The words "go for a ride" have no meaning for him, yet I have no trouble making him understand it's time to "go for a ride".

Brett

I don't know. Today my dog roled in some other dogs sh--. I don't understand that. Maybe he's challenged.:confused:

Ken
Pages (3):    1 2 3