RepairmanJack.com Forums
Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs (/thread-1707.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - EsDub - 06-04-2006

I've just completed reading CrissCross. I have been seeking out this piece of fiction for the better part of a year (missed it in hard cover and had to wait for paperback) and finally obtained it Wednesday May 31. It didn't take me long to get hooked and pulled back into Jack's fantastic world. It's almost a guilty pleasure. I know I really should be doing something around the house, but by god, its Sunday night/morning in the book, Jack has just plugged three, count 'em three slugs into a rotund slimeball who really could've used a whole magazine's worth of bullets, and Jack's got a plan with 73 pages left to go in the book, and that's all that really matters.... at this point, who needs sleep... sleep is highly overrated at this point and I just gotta know what's gonna happen next.... *lets out a long breath and sucks another one in* but, alas, that is neither here nor there.... and i've got a few questions for anyone who'd care to answer/comment.

Now, I'm not sure if this has been covered, and I'll go ahead and apologize for any repetition that may happen.

In the past several books, there have been 4 mystery women. The Russian (in Hosts), the Indian (at least I think she was Indian due to the sari, in The Haunted Air), Anya (from Gateways), and Herta (CrissCross). All of these women have had a dog of some sort with them. I am assuming, since I have read neither Infernal nor Harbingers that more of these mystery women will appear.

Here's the first question.

Who are these women?

Answer: At this point in time, no one can really say except FPW, the man with the plan. However, I'd like to venture a guess. When asked by Jack "Who are you?" every woman had the same answer, "I am your mother." That got me to thinking. Who is the mother of all of us. The answer that came to me was earth, or Mother Earth. It is of my opinion that each woman is a representative of Mother Earth or Gaea. Another thought on that is 'the map of my pain,' that was shown by Anya and Herta. When wrapped around a globe, it reflect the Opus Omega globe that was built by Luther Brady.

Also, in an oddball followup, what's up with the dogs?

Answer: Beats me. Though, to venture a guess, I am wondering if they are going to end up like Mauricio, the monkey-beast from Conspiracies. Could these dogs be advisors/protectors to these women? An extra thought on that. Re-examine Oyv's escape from the alligator in Gateways. I don't think a normal Chiauau (or rat dog, if you forgive the phrase) would've been able to eat his/her way out of an alligator.

Well, that's all for now. Wait. I lied. I do have one more thing to ask of Mr. FPW.

Are you ever gonna head down South for a book signing? I know some folks that would be very excited if you ventured down into this neck of our country. Please? (I read somewhere on here that begging sometimes helps)

Okay. I promise. That's it for now. At least until I get some sleep.

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - webby - 06-04-2006

EsDub Wrote:Now, I'm not sure if this has been covered, and I'll go ahead and apologize for any repetition that may happen.

In the past several books, there have been 4 mystery women. The Russian (in Hosts), the Indian (at least I think she was Indian due to the sari, in The Haunted Air), Anya (from Gateways), and Herta (CrissCross). All of these women have had a dog of some sort with them. I am assuming, since I have read neither Infernal nor Harbingers that more of these mystery women will appear.

Here's the first question.

Who are these women?

Answer: At this point in time, no one can really say except FPW, the man with the plan. However, I'd like to venture a guess. When asked by Jack "Who are you?" every woman had the same answer, "I am your mother." That got me to thinking. Who is the mother of all of us. The answer that came to me was earth, or Mother Earth. It is of my opinion that each woman is a representative of Mother Earth or Gaea. Another thought on that is 'the map of my pain,' that was shown by Anya and Herta. When wrapped around a globe, it reflect the Opus Omega globe that was built by Luther Brady.

There has been a bit of discussion about the women and the "Mother Earth" theory seems somewhat popular. I'm convinced anyway Smile for all the reasons you mention - multicultural, the maps, etc. Someone also pointed out that "Herta" is an anagram for Earth :eek:

EsDub Wrote:Also, in an oddball followup, what's up with the dogs?

How about an oddball answer? My best friend and I were discussing this not long ago and we came up with the idea that the women have been around since, well, forever. We thought that at certain times in history, they may have been seen with cats more often than dogs and inadvertantly inspired stories of "witches". So maybe now they keep dogs as "familiars" instead of cats to distance themselves from that misconception. Anyay, that's our crazy theory Wink

BTW - rest up before you start Harbingers. If CrissCross kept you up late, you won't sleep at all once you get into Harbingers! Smile

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - luthie2 - 06-05-2006

webby Wrote:There has been a bit of discussion about the women and the "Mother Earth" theory seems somewhat popular. I'm convinced anyway Smile for all the reasons you mention - multicultural, the maps, etc. Someone also pointed out that "Herta" is an anagram for Earth :eek:

I also believe that the women represent Mother Earth - especially convincing is the fact that a new scar appears on the women's back each time a new pillar is buried.

You will see a couple of great scenes with a woman and her dog in Harbingers! Smile

webby Wrote:How about an oddball answer? My best friend and I were discussing this not long ago and we came up with the idea that the women have been around since, well, forever. We thought that at certain times in history, they may have been seen with cats more often than dogs and inadvertantly inspired stories of "witches". So maybe now they keep dogs as "familiars" instead of cats to distance themselves from that misconception. Anyay, that's our crazy theory Wink

I love this theory! Too funny!

The dogs do seem to be protectors of the women. (Gotta love Oyv!!) Interesting theory on them being advisors, like Mauricio. Never thought about that. I've just thought of them as companions and protectors.

Happy reading!!

-Luthie

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - EsDub - 06-05-2006

Witches!

Now there is an interesting thought. And you know how things were back in the day. If you didn't understand it, BURN IT AT THE STAKE!!!

*clears throat*

I appreciate your feedback on my thoughts Webby and Luthie. I had not considered the idea of the women being witches of old lore. But FPW did say that the battle had been going on since, well, forever. That would make since that these women had been around since then.

Hmmmm. I wonder. Herta (which, btw, if you do rearrange the letters spells earth, thanks luthie!) does mention Glaeken. I wonder how many of these women actually knew him. Or...... Had been involved with him... and how does Magda fit into all of this....

Hmmmm.... Do these women exist, or is it a mantle, much like that of Glaeken, which is passed down?

Gah! Too many questions, not enough answers.

Thoughts?

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - luthie2 - 06-05-2006

EsDub Wrote:Witches!

Now there is an interesting thought. And you know how things were back in the day. If you didn't understand it, BURN IT AT THE STAKE!!!

*clears throat*

I appreciate your feedback on my thoughts Webby and Luthie. I had not considered the idea of the women being witches of old lore. But FPW did say that the battle had been going on since, well, forever. That would make since that these women had been around since then.

Hmmmm. I wonder. Herta (which, btw, if you do rearrange the letters spells earth, thanks luthie!) does mention Glaeken. I wonder how many of these women actually knew him. Or...... Had been involved with him... and how does Magda fit into all of this....

Hmmmm.... Do these women exist, or is it a mantle, much like that of Glaeken, which is passed down?

Thoughts?

I have mixed feelings about this, but I tend to think that all of the women are extensions of the same entity. Each woman is part of the whole and they all have memories going back to the dawn of time.

If this is the case, do you think that more than one of these women can exist at the same time? Or to phrase it differently, if all of these women represent Mother Earth, can she be in more than one place at the same time, or only manefest herself as one "woman" at time?

I had to laugh about the "witch" line, when I read this post tonight, becase I just remembered this line from FPW's comment about his future Young Jack books: "There'll be a reputedly haunted house, a reputed witch (who has a dog -- aiiiii!) and..." Big Grin

-Luthie

-Luthie

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - webby - 06-06-2006

luthie2 Wrote:I have mixed feelings about this, but I tend to think that all of the women are extensions of the same entity. Each woman is part of the whole and they all have memories going back to the dawn of time.

If this is the case, do you think that more than one of these women can exist at the same time? Or to phrase it differently, if all of these women represent Mother Earth, can she be in more than one place at the same time, or only manefest herself as one "woman" at time?

I had to laugh about the "witch" line, when I read this post tonight, becase I just remembered this line from FPW's comment about his future Young Jack books: "There'll be a reputedly haunted house, a reputed witch (who has a dog -- aiiiii!) and..." Big Grin

-Luthie

-Luthie

LOL -- I was also tickled when I read about the reputed witch character in the Young Jack series! I think we're on to something here Smile

I'm also not completely convinced, but I tend to agree with Luthie that each woman is part of a single, larger entity. It would go along with the hole that Herta has through her which appeared when Anya died.

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - cobalt - 06-06-2006

EsDub Wrote:Witches!

*clears throat*

Thoughts?
If I didn't say it before, WELCOME EsDub.
I'm totally in agreement about the "mothers" as I like to call them, being of the witchy type. Not bad mind you, but very wise in the ways of natural healing. Just what you would expect a mother of the Earth to do. Does she tap into Earth's energy to do so? Does she channel? I also like the idea of the dogs as "familars" now. Never thought of that one before.
Each time she appears, she is different. As is her dog. Is this because she doesn't want to freak Jack out or is her form just random to fit in with the scenery? Much to consider here. Hold on for Harbingers, you'll appreciate the "mother" even more! :p

And this appears to be a girl's night on the board.........

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - webby - 06-06-2006

cobalt79 Wrote:And this appears to be a girl's night on the board.........

Well, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun....oops! wrong thread! Big Grin

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - KRW - 06-06-2006

webby Wrote:There has been a bit of discussion about the women and the "Mother Earth" theory seems somewhat popular. I'm convinced anyway Smile for all the reasons you mention - multicultural, the maps, etc. Someone also pointed out that "Herta" is an anagram for Earth :eek:

How about an oddball answer? My best friend and I were discussing this not long ago and we came up with the idea that the women have been around since, well, forever. We thought that at certain times in history, they may have been seen with cats more often than dogs and inadvertantly inspired stories of "witches". So maybe now they keep dogs as "familiars" instead of cats to distance themselves from that misconception. Anyay, that's our crazy theory

BTW - rest up before you start Harbingers. If CrissCross kept you up late, you won't sleep at all once you get into Harbingers! Smile

That is some food for thought! I wonder how far back we could take this? Maybe even the women with cats where advisaries of the women with dogs? Hummm.... What about guys with hawks?Big Grin

Ken

Questions of Women, Mothers, and Dogs - Amon - 06-06-2006

If the Canine Women represent the Earth Force, then they are likely agents of Mother Earth much in the way that the Twins were agents of the Ally and Rasalom is an agent of the Otherness. Or, as was previously suggested, they could be extentions of a greater power/entity. Their nature and origin is as ambiguous as that of the Twins, and to some extent, Glaeken and Rasalom.

On the other hand, perhaps the Canine Women are literal representations of Jack's position and inner feelings on the situation he's caught in. These women are watching over Jack, and to some extent, guiding him. Maybe they are symbolic of Jack's true allegience, which lies neither with the Ally nor the Otherness, but with himself and those he cares most about. Like Jack, these women would sooner have nothing to do with either superpower, but both Jack and the women agree that the Ally would be a better landlord than the Otherness. One other thing is, these women are very motherly in the way they watch over Jack, and they've even been referred to as mothers on occasion. I wonder if this isn't a metaphor towards Jack's own inner desire for a motherly figure since he lost his so tragically long ago.

Dunno, I could be way off. Just my take on it.