Pages (3):    1 2 3   
jimbow8   06-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Biggles Wrote:"Worst" never enters my mind when I think of Paul's work. Every short story, every novella, every novel is excellent.
I have liked everything. So let's rephrase it as "least favorite." And you can't say 'none' because that's just a cop-out.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Hajek   06-10-2004, 02:17 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I have liked everything. So let's rephrase it as "least favorite." And you can't say 'none' because that's just a cop-out.

Sorry, Jim.... I'm the one who put "worst" in the criteria, and you're getting blamed for it.

It is possible to classify some writers' works as worst... Funny that Koontz is mentioned in this thread since "Sole Survivor" is one of the worst books I've ever read.... not the writing, necessarily, but the story telling. That one is a huge stinker...

Paul, on the other hand, has not written anything bad, but there is one book I like least.... everything else is just so much better than anyone else, even the least liked books are masterpieces.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-14-2004, 03:12 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:That is like a woman asking, "How old do you think I am?" You just can't win no matter how you answer.

But...Of the works that I have read I will have to go with the following:
Favorite: The Tomb
(Honorable mentions to The Select and Reprisal and....this could go on and on)

Least Favorite (notice I didn't put 'worst'): Dydeetown World

How do you answer when your Wonderful One asks, "Does this outfit make me look fat?" Good luck, brother!
jimbow8   06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How do you answer when your Wonderful One asks, "Does this outfit make me look fat?" Good luck, brother!
There is no Wonderful One, so I don't have to worry about the question at all.

Wink Sad

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-18-2004, 08:41 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:There is no Wonderful One, so I don't have to worry about the question at all.

Wink Sad

Have no fear, Jimbo, you'll find your babycheeks soon enough. But here's how it goes, in the experience of an old bluesman, anyway:
(It's Saturday night and we're going to see our friends.) But I feel fat. Does this make me look fat?
No, baby. You look gorgeous. It doesn't make you look fat at all.
So my other outfits make me look fat? Is that what you think?
Baby, I didn't say that.
Oh, you don't have to say it. I know what you think. You think I look fat.
I don't think that at all!
Oh yes you do! You think that bitch you've got your eye on is skinny and I'm fat! Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
I didn't say that, baby! I only have eyes for you!
I know what you think! You hate all my pretty outfits because they make me look fat! Well, a lot of men like big girls!
I do myself!
So you =do=think I'm fat! Boo-hoo...

Like I said...good luck, brother...
(Ladies on the board--my evil twin wrote this, not me!)
This post was last modified: 06-18-2004, 08:45 AM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Ken Valentine   06-18-2004, 12:35 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:That is like a woman asking, "How old do you think I am?" You just can't win no matter how you answer.

My answer: Men have ages . . . women have birthdays.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   06-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Have no fear, Jimbo, you'll find your babycheeks soon enough. But here's how it goes, in the experience of an old bluesman, anyway:
(It's Saturday night and we're going to see our friends.) But I feel fat. Does this make me look fat?
No, baby. You look gorgeous. It doesn't make you look fat at all.
So my other outfits make me look fat? Is that what you think?
Baby, I didn't say that.
Oh, you don't have to say it. I know what you think. You think I look fat.
I don't think that at all!
Oh yes you do! You think that bitch you've got your eye on is skinny and I'm fat! Oh, boo-hoo-hoo.
I didn't say that, baby! I only have eyes for you!
I know what you think! You hate all my pretty outfits because they make me look fat! Well, a lot of men like big girls!
I do myself!
So you =do=think I'm fat! Boo-hoo...

Like I said...good luck, brother...
(Ladies on the board--my evil twin wrote this, not me!)

Your evil twin talks too much. He should say, "You look wonderful . . . you always look wonderful." And then shut up.

Ken V.
Biggles   07-02-2004, 10:45 AM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:I just finished reading Sims last night and absolutely LOVED IT. I'm already a huge FPW fan, and this book was awesome. I work in the biotechnology industry so the premise is particularly interesting to me. I was just wondering what other thoughts were about the book. BTW, I'm new to the forum, but I've been stopping in periodically to read what's here for a long time.

You work in biotech! Great! I gave a first edition of Sims and one of Black Wind to my son as part of his birthday present. He just finished his first year at Indiana U, majoring in Biochem, Asian Studies (Japanese), and Economics. He wants to start up his own biotech company one of these days. I would be interested in your observations, if it's not an imposition. Feel free to PM or email me.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Biggles   07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How do you answer when your Wonderful One asks, "Does this outfit make me look fat?" Good luck, brother!

I get asked that question every day, and my wife is the most gorgeous creature who's ever walked the Earth (aside from my daughter of course). I have tried several approaches:

1. Honey, nothing makes you look fat, because you aren't fat.

Response: Seriously, do I look fat?

2. No way, babe! Why don't you blow off work, I'll continue all my cases, and we'll get a room?

3. (Said jokingly) Oh Man! You're wearing that?

The moral is: There is no correct answer to that question. Big Grin

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
SDSwami   07-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Biggles Wrote:I get asked that question every day, and my wife is the most gorgeous creature who's ever walked the Earth (aside from my daughter of course). I have tried several approaches:

1. Honey, nothing makes you look fat, because you aren't fat.

2. No way, babe! Why don't you blow off work, I'll continue all my cases, and we'll get a room?

3. (Said jokingly) Oh Man! You're wearing that?

The moral is: There is no correct answer to that question. Big Grin

I just saw Seinfeld last night and he went into this conversation. It basicly went:

"Honey, does this make me look fat?

Of course not. You look Great!

But if it did make me look fat, would you lie to me about it?"

From that point on, he said you have no chance.

It was interesting hearing his views on his marriage. If you have a chance to see him live, it's definately worth the time.
Pages (3):    1 2 3