Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6   
Maggers   04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I agree 100%, wonderful Maggers, but yo!--'twerent =mah idear!= Puh-puh-please come back...(sob!) You can even use my discount...

Sorry, Bluesman, discount or no, I take great umbrage with the snobbery inherent in the new layout. Don't make me climb a flight of stairs to get to the cheaper (and less highbrow) books.

Nah, I go to the B&N on East 86th. They still have a large selection of pocketbooks available for quick perusal and purchase on the first floor. Or I go to amazon.com.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Peter   04-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Maggers, for Gods sake woman, you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to books? I live in a small Devon village and I have to drive for two hours (Oh, alright I have a Lancia Turbo and its an hour and a half if no one is looking) to get to a halfway (and thats ALL it is) bookshop! Hah! Americans, you have no idea.....

Sort of only joking, and I actually have two Lancia turbos (and I love them like the mistress I never had!) but really, a flight of stairs?
jimbow8   04-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Ain't the free market wonderful? If a store does something that you don't like, you can go to a different one that does.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
KRW   04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Ain't the free market wonderful? If a store does something that you don't like, you can go to a different one that does.

As it should be!

KRW
Maggers   04-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Peter Wrote:Maggers, for Gods sake woman, you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to books? I live in a small Devon village and I have to drive for two hours (Oh, alright I have a Lancia Turbo and its an hour and a half if no one is looking) to get to a halfway (and thats ALL it is) bookshop! Hah! Americans, you have no idea.....

Sort of only joking, and I actually have two Lancia turbos (and I love them like the mistress I never had!) but really, a flight of stairs?

Damn straight a f***ing flight of stairs. I stop at that B&N between the subway and the cross town bus I take home. I want to browse QUICKLY and get out of the G-D store. OK! I don't have time to get to the second floor, which, BTW, is serviced by an escalator. Yes, the height of laziness, but my time is money and I don't like what that B&N has done with their first floor, which used to be book heaven for me.

So screw them and anyone who has a problem with how I choose to spend my time and money. I'll give my hard earned dollars to a store that provides me what I want.

B&N took the cheaper and more popular pocket books and put them out of the reach, quite literally, of those of us on the run. The first floor now consists of travel books and trade paperbacks. Keep in mind that New Yorkers commute on foot, trekking on buses and subways. We carry briefcases, packbacks and handbags into which pocketbooks fit best. Trade paperbacks don't and they are more expensive. That's my major beef.
This post was last modified: 04-25-2006, 10:25 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Maggers Wrote:Damn straight a f***ing flight of stairs. I stop at that B&N between the subway and the cross town bus I take home. I want to browse QUICKLY and get out of the G-D store. OK! I don't have time to get to the second floor, which, BTW, is serviced by an escalator. Yes, the height of laziness, but my time is money and I don't like what that B&N has done with their first floor, which used to be book heaven for me.

So screw them and anyone who has a problem with how I choose to spend my time and money. I'll give my hard earned dollars to a store that provides me what I want.

For some reason I heard the song "America" In my head when reading this post. I might have even been humming it! Long live free enterprise and free choice!!!!!

KRW- crap, I need a firecracker!
Peter   04-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Whoops! I seem to have set Maggers off on one. Someone let me know when it's safe to come out please?
KRW   04-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Peter Wrote:Whoops! I seem to have set Maggers off on one. Someone let me know when it's safe to come out please?

Not to worry Peter, we could have a corner store in our home town that has been there for fifty years. But if they don't listen to public demand, someone else will open a store right across the street that meets the demand. We call it free enterprise. It did sound like a bummer for you have to drive that distance for a book, until you said Lancia Turbo, now I think you're lucky!!!Big Grin Actually, all things considered, a store that caters to higher priced customers will lose the bulk of their customers. It's a trade off, higher priced items bring in fewer sales but you make more. Lower priced items bring in more sales with less profit. It's the owner that decides what clientel he wants and focuses on them. And if we've been a loyal client to a supplier and they change, we go to a store that understands us to get back.

KRW
Maggers   04-27-2006, 12:32 AM
KRW Wrote:Not to worry Peter, we could have a corner store in our home town that has been there for fifty years. But if they don't listen to public demand, someone else will open a store right across the street that meets the demand. We call it free enterprise. It did sound like a bummer for you have to drive that distance for a book, until you said Lancia Turbo, now I think you're lucky!!!Big Grin Actually, all things considered, a store that caters to higher priced customers will lose the bulk of their customers. It's a trade off, higher priced items bring in fewer sales but you make more. Lower priced items bring in more sales with less profit. It's the owner that decides what clientel he wants and focuses on them. And if we've been a loyal client to a supplier and they change, we go to a store that understands us to get back.

KRW

Perfect summation, Ken. That's exactly why I'm peeved.

Sorry to have scared you, Peter. When I get pissed, I get PISSED. And I am pissed at that B&N store at which I used to love to shop. Hey, their loss.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Peter   04-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Thank you both. Ken, as a small business man (garage owner) myself I know exactly what you mean but it was very well put. Maggers, I was just taken aback at how strongly you felt, and they Italians are emotional!

Over here pissed usually means drunk (as in when I get drunk I get DRUNK!), interesting thought, Maggers dancing on tables?

Oh Lancias, if youre interested I have two Thema turbos, both somewhat tuned but one more than the other. Terrific cars if you can maintain them yourself but too expensive to keep going otherwise. The year before last I did 123 miles through France in exactly one hour, in the slower one of the two and my passenger slept the whole time! Havent enjoyed myself so much since the first time I

Oh, the keyboard seems to have packed up. Oh well.
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6