thisisatest   04-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Steve D
After two weeks back in school, bam--Spring Break! So I thought I'd check in with the gang. I wish I had time to read all the messages I missed, but I'll let AC catch me up at the next Clipper basketball game we attend with our gals.
Man, I wish my girlfriend knew as much about basketball as AC's gal, Cindy. She's shy and reserved--until you bring up the subject of pro basketball. Then, bam--names and stats and playoff projections! AC and Cindy--great company!

Anyway, I saw this movie called Don't Come Knockin' and loved it. It is the story of a "Clint Eastwood" type actor who's over the hill and literally rides off the movie set on his horse. He kinda sobers up to visit people from his past (20-30 years past). I won't give away anymore since there are surprizes in how the people respond to his return. Check out Tim Roth as the Insurance Man who must track down the escaped actor and return him to the set.

What I really wanted to mention is that the music in this movie is great. T-Bone Burnett produces the soundtrack and it is like country western filtered through David Lynch. If you liked the soundtrack to Dead Man starring Johnny Depp (the Neil Young score), you'll enjoy this movie's score. Haven't heard anything this good since the soundtrack to Cold Mountain.

Movie and soundtrack highly recommended.

Bon Adieu, fellow fpw fans.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
Scott Miller   04-12-2006, 11:27 AM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D
After two weeks back in school, bam--Spring Break! So I thought I'd check in with the gang. I wish I had time to read all the messages I missed, but I'll let AC catch me up at the next Clipper basketball game we attend with our gals.
Man, I wish my girlfriend knew as much about basketball as AC's gal, Cindy. She's shy and reserved--until you bring up the subject of pro basketball. Then, bam--names and stats and playoff projections! AC and Cindy--great company!

What does she think of the Nuggets' chances? I think they'll win a series this year and anything else will be gravy. MVP-I say Lebron, although Carmelo is starting to establish himself as a great clutch player, but probably not in time to effect this year's voting. Next year though...

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
saynomore   04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:What does she think of the Nuggets' chances? I think they'll win a series this year and anything else will be gravy. MVP-I say Lebron, although Carmelo is starting to establish himself as a great clutch player, but probably not in time to effect this year's voting. Next year though...

I can answer that one, Scott. She's picking the Miami Heat, on the condition that Alonzo is healthy for the playoffs. She pulls for the Clippers except when they're playing the Lakers or the Heat. She's a big fan of Luke Walton, who has been improving under the coaching of Phil Jackson (we met Luke in person and she went ga-ga). She's also a big fan of the Heat (we also met Shaq and she went ga-ga). I'm a traditional guy: I'm pulling for the home team--The Clippers. If they get bounced from the playoffs, then I'll back up my gal by supporting Miami.

MVP: Elton Brand from the Clippers, 'natch. But I'm also a big Steve Nash fan. Lebron would be third on my list. Cindy is also pulling for Elton, with Dwayne Wade second on her list.

I'll ask her about the Nuggets. Carmelo went cold last season, but is back in form this season. Most Improved, but most valuable? Dirk Nowoski (spelling?) is also on my list of mvp picks.

AC

P.S. I'm going to have to get her to post her basketball picks on the board. She'd enjoy the chat, I'm sure.
Scott Miller   04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
saynomore Wrote:I can answer that one, Scott. She's picking the Miami Heat, on the condition that Alonzo is healthy for the playoffs. She pulls for the Clippers except when they're playing the Lakers or the Heat. She's a big fan of Luke Walton, who has been improving under the coaching of Phil Jackson (we met Luke in person and she went ga-ga). She's also a big fan of the Heat (we also met Shaq and she went ga-ga). I'm a traditional guy: I'm pulling for the home team--The Clippers. If they get bounced from the playoffs, then I'll back up my gal by supporting Miami.

I definitely think the Pistons will represent the East and I don't see anyone able to seriously challenge them. The Heat lacks a reliable third scorer and the Nets don't have enough muscle.

As for the West, I don't have a strong feeling for any of the three(Suns, Spurs and Mavs) I believe will ultimately go, although I'm hoping for the Suns. The Clippers and Nuggets are a year away from seriously contending.

saynomore Wrote:MVP: Elton Brand from the Clippers, 'natch. But I'm also a big Steve Nash fan. Lebron would be third on my list. Cindy is also pulling for Elton, with Dwayne Wade second on her list.

As much as I like Elton, I don't see him making his teammates better like Lebron. I love Wade, he's probably my second choice, followed by Nash, then Nowitski and finally Kobe or Billups would round off my top 5.

saynomore Wrote:I'll ask her about the Nuggets. Carmelo went cold last season, but is back in form this season. Most Improved, but most valuable? Dirk Nowoski (spelling?) is also on my list of mvp picks. AC

I think Kaman deserves some mention as Most Improved(he's a fellow Chippewa), but it'll probably go to Joe Johnson.
This post was last modified: 04-12-2006, 04:50 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

jimbow8   04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Speaking of basketball, I got to attend the Bulls game last night in a Skybox. Awesome time!!!! And I'm not even a basketball fan........ Cool

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
saynomore   04-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Hello, Paul. This is Cindy. First time on this board. Hello, everyone. And Hello, Scott. Tony told me you were a nice guy and asked me to respond to your post about my basketball picks, so here goes.

Due to the fact that I like so many players it is difficult to pick just one. For the west mvp I pick Sam Cassell because first of all he is one of the top players with the highest number of assists per game and although some players have more assists per game, Cassell also brings leadership to the game. Elton Brand may be the top scorer, but he doesn't direct traffic like Cassell does on the court. And Cassell is always the first to accept blame for team losses and motivates the team to do better on the next game after a loss. It's not just about stats; in some cases leadership plays a bigger role, which should play a big part for the Clippers in the playoffs.

My other picks for west mvp are Steve Nash, Elton Brand, and Dirk Nowitsky.

For the east mvp I like Dwyane Wade because he has about six assists per game and is a reliable scorer. Shaq is my second pick for his rebounding and strong presence in the paint.

For the sixth man award I pick Alonzo Mourning because he is a consistent shot blocker and intimidates opponents. When Shaq missed games early in the season Zo kept the game in the paint consistent with Shaq's style but added that intimidation factor.

I admit that Detroit is good, but they are arrogant, overconfident, and sometimes let their anger get the best of them in crucial games. For these reasons, I don't like them, but I agree that they are the favorite to take the championship.

From the east I pick the Miami Heat. They came too close last year not to have won it. They need to win it this year to compensate. I disagree that the Heat has only two scorers; there's also Haslem, and expect Zo and Jason Williams to return for the playoffs. And let's not forget Antoine Walker who scored 35 points yesterday. If this Antoine shows up for the playoffs, we've got more than enough scorers.

From the west I am divided between San Antonio and Dallas. I am doubtful about the Suns. They surged last year and San Antonio mopped the court up with them. So much for surges. But if I had to pick one, it'd be San Antonio.

For my Cinderella Team, I pick the Clippers in the west, and New Jersey in the east.

This was fun. I'll post again playoff time.

Cindy
Scott Miller   04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
saynomore Wrote:Hello, Paul. This is Cindy. First time on this board. Hello, everyone. And Hello, Scott. Tony told me you were a nice guy and asked me to respond to your post about my basketball picks, so here goes.

Due to the fact that I like so many players it is difficult to pick just one. For the west mvp I pick Sam Cassell because first of all he is one of the top players with the highest number of assists per game and although some players have more assists per game, Cassell also brings leadership to the game. Elton Brand may be the top scorer, but he doesn't direct traffic like Cassell does on the court. And Cassell is always the first to accept blame for team losses and motivates the team to do better on the next game after a loss. It's not just about stats; in some cases leadership plays a bigger role, which should play a big part for the Clippers in the playoffs.

My other picks for west mvp are Steve Nash, Elton Brand, and Dirk Nowitsky.

For the east mvp I like Dwyane Wade because he has about six assists per game and is a reliable scorer. Shaq is my second pick for his rebounding and strong presence in the paint.

For the sixth man award I pick Alonzo Mourning because he is a consistent shot blocker and intimidates opponents. When Shaq missed games early in the season Zo kept the game in the paint consistent with Shaq's style but added that intimidation factor.

I admit that Detroit is good, but they are arrogant, overconfident, and sometimes let their anger get the best of them in crucial games. For these reasons, I don't like them, but I agree that they are the favorite to take the championship.

From the east I pick the Miami Heat. They came too close last year not to have won it. They need to win it this year to compensate. I disagree that the Heat has only two scorers; there's also Haslem, and expect Zo and Jason Williams to return for the playoffs. And let's not forget Antoine Walker who scored 35 points yesterday. If this Antoine shows up for the playoffs, we've got more than enough scorers.

From the west I am divided between San Antonio and Dallas. I am doubtful about the Suns. They surged last year and San Antonio mopped the court up with them. So much for surges. But if I had to pick one, it'd be San Antonio.

For my Cinderella Team, I pick the Clippers in the west, and New Jersey in the east.

This was fun. I'll post again playoff time.

Cindy

Hi Cindy, you obviously are passionate about your hoops. However, you're betting with your heart there. Cassell won't even be in the top 10 for the MVP vote; all he does is win, but doesn't post the type of numbers the voters look for.

So what do you want to bet on the East? I still think the Pistons won't be challenged until the Finals; six game series at most.

I agree that the Mavs and Spurs are the most likely candidates from the West, but neither play a brand of ball I enjoy watching all that much. Hence, my pulling for the Suns to sneak through.

Scott