Pages (2): 1 2   
dejo   03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, I finally got around to the first of the last three books of the Adversary Cycle: Reborn. Finished reading it last night. I was reading the first edition. Maybe I missed it or maybe I read it and forgot it already or maybe this detail is to be revealed later in the cycle (when it will be of importance) or maybe it's not important or maybe its in the revised text. But I gotta ask: Do we know how Carol Stevens' parents' died? FPW says he can't recall.
jaybird   03-31-2006, 05:04 PM
dejo Wrote:Well, I finally got around to the first of the last three books of the Adversary Cycle: Reborn. Finished reading it last night. I was reading the first edition. Maybe I missed it or maybe I read it and forgot it already or maybe this detail is to be revealed later in the cycle (when it will be of importance) or maybe it's not important or maybe its in the revised text. But I gotta ask: Do we know how Carol Stevens' parents' died? FPW says he can't recall.
In keeping with the cycles strange but addictive nature, I'd say that it was something out of the ordinary. I'v read the Cycle a couple of times. I can't remember it saying.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night
Ossicle   03-31-2006, 05:51 PM
jaybird Wrote:In keeping with the cycles strange but addictive nature, I'd say that it was something out of the ordinary. I'v read the Cycle a couple of times. I can't remember it saying.
I believe that on the last night of the 1987 Phoenix AWESOME SCI-FI convention, FPW had too much to drink in the bar and was overheard telling the jazz band's bass trombonist that Carol's parent's were impaled on those pointy things atop a chain-link fence -- an ill-considered "short cut" (irony!) home through a playground; they were on the verge of leaping to safety (i.e., the ground -- four feet below) when their local parish priest ran up and accosted them about a reading they were supposed to do at a wedding that upcoming Sunday. Distracted, they lost their grip and, well, I lack the literary ability to describe what happened next, but you can see the result in Carol's temperament and general outlook on life... Sad
KRW   03-31-2006, 06:18 PM
dejo Wrote:Well, I finally got around to the first of the last three books of the Adversary Cycle: Reborn. Finished reading it last night. I was reading the first edition. Maybe I missed it or maybe I read it and forgot it already or maybe this detail is to be revealed later in the cycle (when it will be of importance) or maybe it's not important or maybe its in the revised text. But I gotta ask: Do we know how Carol Stevens' parents' died? FPW says he can't recall.

In 1959, both her parents were killed on a rainy,foggy night in a head-on crash with a semitrailer on the expressway.

It's in Reprisal paperback on page 18.

KRW
KRW   03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I recently finished the Borderland's edition. We know Bill's parents were killed in a house fire but as to who or what started it is left open. The only thing mentioned was that it was probably a short in the original wiring of the home which wasn't up to the fire code.

I think it was either Rasalom or Jonah, but I have no proof.Sad

KRW
dejo   03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
KRW Wrote:In 1959, both her parents were killed on a rainy,foggy night in a head-on crash with a semitrailer on the expressway.

It's in Reprisal paperback on page 18.

KRW

Thanks, KRW! (Starts looking at my hardcover version for the clue...)
KRW   03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
dejo Wrote:Thanks, KRW! (Starts looking at my hardcover version for the clue...)

No problem Amigo, my pleasure!Smile

KRW
dejo   03-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Damn, still can't find it. And I've searched both my first edition and the Borderlands Press edition. It doesn't help that the page numbering is different from the paperback either. It's like some "entity" doesn't want me to. :mad:

Looks like I'll just have to start reading Reprisal...

EDIT: Found it! In Reborn, not Reprisal! (Bad KRW, Bad! Wink ) Page 24.
This post was last modified: 03-31-2006, 07:56 PM by dejo.
KRW   03-31-2006, 09:03 PM
dejo Wrote:Damn, still can't find it. And I've searched both my first edition and the Borderlands Press edition. It doesn't help that the page numbering is different from the paperback either. It's like some "entity" doesn't want me to. :mad:

Looks like I'll just have to start reading Reprisal...

EDIT: Found it! In Reborn, not Reprisal! (Bad KRW, Bad! Wink ) Page 24.

DOH! Ah well, nobody's memory is perfect!Wink Glad you found it Dejo!

KRW
Marc   03-31-2006, 09:32 PM
It just occurred to me you were talking about Carol's parents... not Bill's. Sheesh. Ignore my previous post which pretty much states the obvious. In fact, I'll just delete it to prevent myself further humiliation.
Pages (2): 1 2