Pages (12):    1 8 9 10 11 12   
Ken Valentine   10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
maibusch Wrote:Interesting post on James Garner by New York Joe. I have a friend who works at Bel Air Country Club in Los Angeles where all the movie stars belong and play golf. I once asked him who the nicest guy in the club was, because I know a lot of them have huge egos and can be very demanding. Without hesitation he said James Garner. Apparently, he never has anything bad to say and is kind to EVERYONE.
And in my book, he's one of the greatest actors of the 20th century. He's not only done it all, he's done it superbly -- virtually every kind of role you can think of.

Ken V.
Fletcher   10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
my favourite: 'Back to the future'
mad4tunes   10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:In the film MINORITY REPORT, someone presents the Burgess character with a Smith & Wesson First Model pistol (a five-shot .22.)

Burgess says thet this sort of thing was done for some Union Generals at the end of the Civil War, and that the five gold-plated bullets each stood for one year of the War.

Let's see . . . April 12, 1861 to April 9, 1865.

Hmmm. That sounds like FOUR years to me.

Actually, Ken, he was thinking along the lines of

So, while the war only lasted four years chronologically, it took place over a span of five different years.

Kinda calculating like the utility companies or car rental places do.

Oh! My favorite film? Don't laugh...

"The Wizard Of Oz" It has everything a movie should have. A very close second and third are "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane".

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
t4terrific   10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:"The Wizard Of Oz" It has everything a movie should have.

A wonderful film based on a wonderful children's book.
mad4tunes   10-08-2009, 12:17 PM
t4terrific Wrote:A wonderful film based on a wonderful children's book.

The "Oz" stories are not just for children...I've read all of them, and still love all of them.

I'd love to see the rest of them made into decent movies, but I don't think it will ever happen unless I win the mega-lottery or am appointed Emperor of the World with an unlimited discretionary budget.

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
t4terrific   10-08-2009, 12:30 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:The "Oz" stories are not just for children...I've read all of them, and still love all of them.

I'd love to see the rest of them made into decent movies, but I don't think it will ever happen unless I win the mega-lottery or am appointed Emperor of the World with an unlimited discretionary budget.

I only read the first. I loved it. It was far darker than the film.

I watch the movie, at least, once a year. I met one of the munchkins at a Royals game about 5 years ago. I got him to sign a photo for me (his daughter had several in her bag). His name was Mickey something. He played the mayor and a few other roles. He was sure happy to meet someone interested in the movie!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:Actually, Ken, he was thinking along the lines of

So, while the war only lasted four years chronologically, it took place over a span of five different years.

Kinda calculating like the utility companies or car rental places do.

Oh! My favorite film? Don't laugh...

"The Wizard Of Oz" It has everything a movie should have. A very close second and third are "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane".

A classic, no two ways about it. Still, when you think what a sad mess Judy Garland made of her life... As I've posted before, when a wanna-be stage mom (they are always women, with that ambition) asks for a book to explain how to get her kid into show biz, I always ask her to repeat two names with me. "Judy Garland. Michael Jackson." Then I give her the book. Hey, we're here to make money!
Ken Valentine   10-09-2009, 03:34 PM
mad4tunes Wrote:Actually, Ken, he was thinking along the lines of

Yes, Cobalt pointed that out in the very next post.

Ans as I said, I hadn't thought of it in that way.

Ken V.
LarDog   10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:...

My mother's favorite movie was "To Kill a Mockingbird." She identified with the young girl, Scout, since she grew up a tomboy in Arkansas. My female chocolate labrador was named Scout before I adopted her.

Who areyour mom's favorite male actors? My mom was crazy abotut Sean Connery and James Garner. She wrote her only fan letter to James Garner when he was in the hospital for triple-bypass surgery. He replied in his own hand, too.

NYj

This thread pains me to read; I agree with so much: LOTR Extended Edition Trilogy, The Thing, Casablanca, Unforgiven, Fargo, Citizen Kane are all among my favorites. I would add Chinatown, LA Confidential, and a few others.

Joe's mom hit it though: "To Kill a Mockingbird" is my all time favorite movie and I've liked James Garner since his Bret Maverick and Jim Rockford days. Go mom!
Yeratel   10-31-2009, 01:27 PM
For me, it would be a tossup between Casablanca and To Kill A Mockingbird. Both of them hold up remarkably well.
Pages (12):    1 8 9 10 11 12