Pages (12):    1 7 8 9 10 11 12   
3rdDeacon   08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
My favourite movie of all time is "Citizen Kane". In my books, absolute perfection.

However, for a horror movie, it would have to be John Carpenter's "The Thing".

As posted earlier, this is a truer version to the short story "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell Jr., published under the synonym "Don A. Stuart".

The premise is quite the same, however the creature is a multi-tenacled thing that came from world with a bluer sun.

Howard Hawks' version from 1951, was originally titled, "The Thing", but had the sub-title "From Another World" added afterward.

It would have been nigh impossible to model that movie after the short story, so it was changed. However, as in the story, both versions have the underlying emphasis of isolationism, with the 1982 remake retaining the palpable fear of not knowing who to trust.

Both are classics in my view for their different portrayal of the same origin material.
Tyler Edwards   08-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Suspiria. Dario Argento's masterpiece.
t4terrific   08-28-2009, 10:31 AM
"If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
Irishkkc 2.0 Wrote:Easy. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Sergio Leone's directing is masterful and paired with Ennio Morricone's soundtrack makes it perfect. Clint Eastwood is the perfect stoic western anti hero. Lee Van Cleef the stoic western villain and Eli Wallach makes the movie as Tuco. One of the funniest performances of all time even though its not a comedy.
t4terrific   08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I thought I'd posted here, but realized this is an older thread. It really hurts to choose just one. I have to pick Unforgiven. William Munny's transformation at the end is terrific!
neotank Wrote:I don't want any top ten lists or anything. I just want to know what your all time favorite movie is.

I know it's hard... but pick one!

Mine is Raiders Of the lost Ark. It pretty much has everything I want in a movie. I always wished for that kind of adventure...
KRW   08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
t4terrific Wrote:I thought I'd posted here, but realized this is an older thread. It really hurts to choose just one. I have to pick Unforgiven. William Munny's transformation at the end is terrific!

Fantastic movie. Gene Hackman played an excellant part as "Little Bill" also. He deserved what he got.Smile
t4terrific   08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
KRW Wrote:Fantastic movie. Gene Hackman played an excellant part as "Little Bill" also. He deserved what he got.Smile

"I don't deserve this. I was building a house."

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   08-31-2009, 03:55 PM
t4terrific Wrote:"I don't deserve this. I was building a house."

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it."Big Grin

"You can see now?'
"Yes...I can see now."
Bacardi Jim   09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Lawrence of Arabia
This post was last modified: 09-10-2009, 03:03 PM by Bacardi Jim.

At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
RichE   09-10-2009, 12:48 PM
For those interested, I just wrote a piece on my favorite film, "FEAR NO EVIL". Go to FILMS IN REVIEW (www.filmsinreview.com) check it out and leave a comment!
NewYorkjoe   09-24-2009, 06:59 PM
"On The Waterfront." 12 Academy Award nominations, winning 8.

If it were filmed today, the Anastasia brothers (part of the Gambino crime family) who ran the Longshoreman's Union would be characters and played by Italians (not Lee J. Cobb as "Johnny Friendly," whose real name was Lee Jacob!). Look closely and you'll see a young Fred Gwynn playing one of Friendly's minions in the bar! Karl Malden as the priest. Leif Ericson and Martin Balsam as the Racket Squad detectives. Lots of long-time character actors throughout.

The scene in the back of the cab with Rod Steiger (Charlie the Gent) and Marlon Brando (Terry Malloy) is priceless! The picture's budget was so low (less than a mil), they didn't have a film of a moving street scene to play behind the cab's rear window, so they put a tiny venetian blind there instead.

Charlie: Look, kid, I - how much you weigh, son? When you weighed one hundred and sixty-eight pounds you were beautiful. You coulda been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you for a manager, he brought you along too fast.
Terry: It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Gahden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.
Charlie: Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.
Terry: You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contendah. I coulda been sumbuddy, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it. It was you, Charley.

(This is my favorite impression.)

NYj
This post was last modified: 09-24-2009, 07:08 PM by NewYorkjoe.

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Pages (12):    1 7 8 9 10 11 12