Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Bought a bunch of the paperback GATEWAYS to hand out to friends, and natch, reread it. Now, I'm not (surprise!) anyone's bleeding heart liberal about a soul in a bad situation--God gave us free will, we can think and fight our way out of anything--but, jeez... Rereading Semelee's showdown with Rasalom...if anybody had the cards stacked against her from the first crooked deal, it was that poor woman. But I wondered--Rasalom hears his name spoken from anywhere, so:
1) What would happen if everyone on Earth said, "Rasalom" simultaneously?
2) Would Rasalom react to an electronically-generated voice speaking those dread syllables?
3) Suppose three bold warriors--call 'em "Biggles," "Law Dawg," and "Jimbo"-- said, in concert, each syllable =seperately=? Would the Claw of the Otherness hear, and chide them in a ghastly way?

Hard questions all. Perhaps they'll be addressed in the premiere issue of the refereed JOURNAL OF JACK STUDIES.Wink
Kenji   03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Bought a bunch of the paperback GATEWAYS to hand out to friends, and natch, reread it. Now, I'm not (surprise!) anyone's bleeding heart liberal about a soul in a bad situation--God gave us free will, we can think and fight our way out of anything--but, jeez... Rereading Semelee's showdown with Rasalom...if anybody had the cards stacked against her from the first crooked deal, it was that poor woman. But I wondered--Rasalom hears his name spoken from anywhere, so:
2) Would Rasalom react to an electronically-generated voice speaking those dread syllables?
3) Suppose three bold warriors--call 'em "Biggles," "Law Dawg," and "Jimbo"-- said, in concert, each syllable =seperately=? Would the Claw of the Otherness hear, and chide them in a ghastly way?

Hard questions all. Perhaps they'll be addressed in the premiere issue of the refereed JOURNAL OF JACK STUDIES.Wink

Your questions confused me! Big Grin

But I still don't know why Semelee said "My new name is Rasalom!". How did she think of the name? Coincidence? Or the power from Otherness? :confused:
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Kenji Wrote:Your questions confused me! Big Grin

But I still don't know why Semelee said "My new name is Rasalom!". How did she think of the name? Coincidence? Or the power from Otherness? :confused:

The questions puzzled me too, Kenji! I'd like to know the answers! (But =not= from Rasalom's lips.) As far as Semelee's identification with Rasalom goes, didn't she go down to see the lights, and hear the name? And think that =she= was the One? (Might be wrong, don't have the book with me.)
jemiller1947   03-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Correct! Semelee did hear the voices speaking Rasalom's name when she was lowered into the Cenote. She assumed they were speaking to here because she was "special." Turned out she wasn't as special as she thought.Wink
Kenji   03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:As far as Semelee's identification with Rasalom goes, didn't she go down to see the lights, and hear the name? And think that =she= was the One? (Might be wrong, don't have the book with me.)

Oh....right! You're right....:o
the Oracle   03-06-2006, 06:07 PM
She got what she deserved...

Rosalom told her that he was the one and that she should not repeat it under penalty... She disobeyed.

Now, the dude just appeared in the swamp and walked across the water... I'm thinking (even if I think I AM the one) that I keep my mouth zippered until I find my potential powers.

She got what she deserved...

Author of "Survivor" - http://www.vaughnripley.com

"Adventure is worthwile in itself."
—Amelia Earhart
Ossicle   03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Bought a bunch of the paperback GATEWAYS to hand out to friends, and natch, reread it. Now, I'm not (surprise!) anyone's bleeding heart liberal about a soul in a bad situation--God gave us free will, we can think and fight our way out of anything--but, jeez... Rereading Semelee's showdown with Rasalom...if anybody had the cards stacked against her from the first crooked deal, it was that poor woman. But I wondered--Rasalom hears his name spoken from anywhere, so:

The April JJS has been delayed because HWMNBNUPD hasn't yet signed off on the nude fold-out, but my girlfriend's maid's nephew's hoasca dealer saw galley drafts, which contain these answers:

1) Rasalom would realize he's in big, BIG trouble, analagous to the --

NIGHTWORLD SPOILER! --

-- NIGHTWORLD SPOILER! --

-- end of Nightworld, where humanity it saved by a group rendition in Central Park of "I'd like to buy the world a Coke," with optimism and hope instead of Coke (note the clever slant rhyme) -- i.e., if all those people know his name it's evidence of a conspiracy beyond both his ken and his powers.

2. He would react exactly as he would if someone spoke his name -- except he'd zero in on the person who had thought up / arranged for the electronically generated voice, e.g., he'd show up at Larry the Geek's house -- to chew gum and kick ass -- not at the empty warehouse where the transmitter is stored.

3. They would be well chid indeed: they'd be shampooed without conditioner and all underarm hair and most (possibly all) behind-the-knee hair would be just a fond memory. Sad

-o
Biggles   03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:3) Suppose three bold warriors--call 'em "Biggles," "Law Dawg," and "Jimbo"-- said, in concert, each syllable =seperately=? Would the Claw of the Otherness hear, and chide them in a ghastly way?

There are old warriors and there are bold warriors, but there are no old, bold warriors. Wink

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
jaybird   03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
jemiller1947 Wrote:Correct! Semelee did hear the voices speaking Rasalom's name when she was lowered into the Cenote. She assumed they were speaking to here because she was "special." Turned out she wasn't as special as she thought.Wink
She was "special Ed" maybe.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night
Libby   05-31-2008, 11:57 AM

He would do nothing if it was in his best interest not to. If he made Biggles and Law Dawg and Jimbo pay, we would all know he was real, therefore proving the otherness real, causing them both to lose power. He might hear, but would do nothing. Which is even more frightening because we don't and can't know if he is out there!:yikes: I have said his name on accident before, but he did nothing. If he's out there, though, he heard. He heard.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.