Maggers   02-21-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.

That's about my only comment on the Olympics. Except that I wish I could figure out the rules and strategy for the short track speed skating event. Those skaters seem to defy gravity and all sorts of laws of physics. Great fun to watch.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Keith the Elder   02-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately, Tanith is what's called a "ringer" in competition. Where you have nobody of your own good enough to stand up to the competition, you bring in a talented substitute to play on your team. This is cheatiing of the highest order.

Granted, she was given US citizenship to compete on the U.S. Team, but was she worthy: Let's examine the ENTIRE list of people granted honorary citizenship by the US senate:

1963.......Winston Churchill

1981...... Raoul Wallenberg

1984.......Willian and Hannah Callowell Penn

1996.......Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (Mother Teresa)

2002.......Marquis de Lafayette

This bastardizes the whole concept, IMHO.

She certainly is talented and of World class caliber and I do not hold this against her personally, but she truely did not belong on the US team, IMHO.
This post was last modified: 02-21-2006, 11:21 AM by Keith the Elder.

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
jimbow8   02-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Maggers Wrote:I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.
Keith the Elder Wrote:Unfortunately, Tanith is what's called a "ringer" in competition. Where you have nobody of your own good enough to stand up to the competition, you bring in a talented substitute to play on your team. This is cheatiing of the highest order.

Granted, she was given US citizenship to compete on the U.S. Team, ...
After Maggers post I was of the opinion that Susan was MORE adorable.

Now after Keith's post I'm certain of it.

Jim *sucking up for no particular reason* Big Grin
This post was last modified: 02-21-2006, 11:56 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Maggers Wrote:That's about my only comment on the Olympics. Except that I wish I could figure out the rules and strategy for the short track speed skating event. Those skaters seem to defy gravity and all sorts of laws of physics. Great fun to watch.
I'm befuddled as to why they go so far side to side. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a zig-zag.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
KRW   02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I'm befuddled as to why they go so far side to side. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a zig-zag.

That's to boring. Who'd watch someone going in a strait line? That's only half as fun as watching tennis! Big Grin

KRW
Susan   02-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Maggers Wrote:I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.

Oh my stars! I wish I looked like her! LOL

Thanks for the compliment, though. Maybe after I lose all this extra weight I can get my "mojo" back.

Susanita

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
neotank   02-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Curling is DA BOMB!