RepairmanJack.com Forums
Olympics - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Olympics (/thread-1521.html)

Olympics - Maggers - 02-21-2006

I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.

That's about my only comment on the Olympics. Except that I wish I could figure out the rules and strategy for the short track speed skating event. Those skaters seem to defy gravity and all sorts of laws of physics. Great fun to watch.

Olympics - Keith the Elder - 02-21-2006

Unfortunately, Tanith is what's called a "ringer" in competition. Where you have nobody of your own good enough to stand up to the competition, you bring in a talented substitute to play on your team. This is cheatiing of the highest order.

Granted, she was given US citizenship to compete on the U.S. Team, but was she worthy: Let's examine the ENTIRE list of people granted honorary citizenship by the US senate:

1963.......Winston Churchill

1981...... Raoul Wallenberg

1984.......Willian and Hannah Callowell Penn

1996.......Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (Mother Teresa)

2002.......Marquis de Lafayette

This bastardizes the whole concept, IMHO.

She certainly is talented and of World class caliber and I do not hold this against her personally, but she truely did not belong on the US team, IMHO.

Olympics - jimbow8 - 02-21-2006

Maggers Wrote:I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.
Keith the Elder Wrote:Unfortunately, Tanith is what's called a "ringer" in competition. Where you have nobody of your own good enough to stand up to the competition, you bring in a talented substitute to play on your team. This is cheatiing of the highest order.

Granted, she was given US citizenship to compete on the U.S. Team, ...
After Maggers post I was of the opinion that Susan was MORE adorable.

Now after Keith's post I'm certain of it.

Jim *sucking up for no particular reason* Big Grin

Olympics - jimbow8 - 02-21-2006

Maggers Wrote:That's about my only comment on the Olympics. Except that I wish I could figure out the rules and strategy for the short track speed skating event. Those skaters seem to defy gravity and all sorts of laws of physics. Great fun to watch.
I'm befuddled as to why they go so far side to side. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a zig-zag.

Olympics - KRW - 02-21-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:I'm befuddled as to why they go so far side to side. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, not a zig-zag.

That's to boring. Who'd watch someone going in a strait line? That's only half as fun as watching tennis! Big Grin

KRW

Olympics - Susan - 02-22-2006

Maggers Wrote:I'm watching the US ice dance team of Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. I swear Tanith reminds me of our own Co-Queen, Susan. Absolutely adorable.

Oh my stars! I wish I looked like her! LOL

Thanks for the compliment, though. Maybe after I lose all this extra weight I can get my "mojo" back.

Susanita

Olympics - neotank - 02-23-2006

Curling is DA BOMB!