Pages (3):    1 2 3
Maggers   01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Marc B. Wrote:I'll third the Netflix recommendation. I boycott Blockbuster like Jimbo...

I live right on top of a Blockbuster; their ceiling is my floor. Couldn't be any more convenient, but I don't use them. Netflix is the way to go.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

stacyzinda123   01-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Maggers Wrote:I live right on top of a Blockbuster; their ceiling is my floor. Couldn't be any more convenient, but I don't use them. Netflix is the way to go.
It sounds like you guys have had great success with Netflix. My only concern is availability of new releases. Do so many people put them on their list that it takes a long time to actually get them? With the Blockbuster program you get two free in-store rentals every month. I could pick up new movies when I'm in Madison for work and return them the following week now that they have no late fees (sort of).
jimbow8   01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:It sounds like you guys have had great success with Netflix. My only concern is availability of new releases. Do so many people put them on their list that it takes a long time to actually get them? With the Blockbuster program you get two free in-store rentals every month. I could pick up new movies when I'm in Madison for work and return them the following week now that they have no late fees (sort of).
Honestly, I have SO many movies in my queue (400+, and most are far from new) that I can wait for new releases if necessary. But usually it only takes a few weeks at worst, in my experience. If you think that the Blockbuster one is better suited to your needs, then you might go with that one. But I can't offer any critique..... other than my dislike of Blockbuster. Wink

BTW, I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but Netflix is excellent for having TV shows. I find it preferable to rent these old TV shows than buy expensive box sets that I'll probably never watch again. If interested, you might check with the Blockbuster program.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
dejo   01-26-2006, 08:35 AM
If your system handles DTS, I highly recommend "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". I found the DTS soundtrack on this movie to be so much better than the Dolby version. Demonstrated that to my brother and he agreed (and he has much better ears for sound than I do). Watch the first 10 minutes or so via DTS with the sound cranked and you will not know what hit you. It is my definitive DTS-demo DVD.

Also, I recommend the opening song of "The Lion King" for testing, tuning, and showing off your subwoofer. There's one part where an elephant is walking towards you. Set your subwoofer so you are quite aware an elephant is approaching without the bass distorting or you knowing where the sound is coming from. The low-end bass should always been non-directional. And when you want to show off the subwoofer: play that sequence with it on, then play it again with it off. Second time around, you will feel cheated!
Pages (3):    1 2 3