Maggers   01-08-2006, 10:15 PM
"The Matador" is an enjoyable, slightly twisted take on buddy movies. It's an off-beat comedy that provides an image of Pierce Brosnan that I will carry for a long time. It's not a particularly flattering one, either, and that's why I enjoyed his performance. He poked fun at his shiny Bond-ness with this less-than-sterling character whose interests border on the ... shall we say, tasteless.

Greg Kinnear was terrific, as always, and so was the always dependable Hope Davis.

The story does wander some, but it held my interest, made me laugh, and I didn't know where it was going. And that is always a treat, not being able to see what's going to happen 3 scenes before it does.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Maggers Wrote:"The Matador" is an enjoyable, slightly twisted take on buddy movies. It's an off-beat comedy that provides an image of Pierce Brosnan that I will carry for a long time. It's not a particularly flattering one, either, and that's why I enjoyed his performance. He poked fun at his shiny Bond-ness with this less-than-sterling character whose interests border on the ... shall we say, tasteless.

Greg Kinnear was terrific, as always, and so was the always dependable Hope Davis.

The story does wander some, but it held my interest, made me laugh, and I didn't know where it was going. And that is always a treat, not being able to see what's going to happen 3 scenes before it does.

Very well put, Maggers, an original twist on an old story. I liked it a lot, but it wasn't a perfect movie by any stretch. Kinnear really made the movie for me, his performance was pitch perfect-where did he come from anyway and how did he become one of our better actors? Brosnan was solid, but his character was just a little too unlikable at times. Definitely worth the rent.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Very well put, Maggers

Thanks, Scott!

Quote:... Kinnear really made the movie for me, his performance was pitch perfect-where did he come from anyway and how did he become one of our better actors?

I agree. I've yet to see Kinnear give anything but a solid performance and usually he's in top form and nails the character.

The first time I saw Greg Kinnear was as the original host of "Talk Soup" quite a while ago. He was great, very funny and adept at ad libbing. From that he got a late, late night talk show, and from there, acting jobs. In fact, I think he might have been the host of "Last Call" before Carson Daly. If he didn't host that particular show, then he hosted a talk show in that time slot before Daly took it over. If I recollect correctly, he found acting accidently in college; it wasn't what he planned but definitely where his talent lay.

He's also terrific in "Little Miss Sunshine."
This post was last modified: 08-26-2006, 12:56 PM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

law dawg   08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Maggers Wrote:"The Matador" is an enjoyable, slightly twisted take on buddy movies. It's an off-beat comedy that provides an image of Pierce Brosnan that I will carry for a long time. It's not a particularly flattering one, either, and that's why I enjoyed his performance. He poked fun at his shiny Bond-ness with this less-than-sterling character whose interests border on the ... shall we say, tasteless.

I mentioned this movie a while back and really, really enjoyed it. I just bought the DVD, which was as good as the movie was in the theatre.

Also worth a long look - Brick. It too just came out on DVD.

Oh, and Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.