Pages (2):    1 2
jimbow8   06-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:He certainly got a large portion of them ... there were so many!

Every time I hear Ilsa's last name though, I have to laugh.
Lund is a city in Sweden.
But Lund means something very different in Hindu. Big Grin

Ken V.
I just looked it up. Oh my!

And I have to correct you, Ken (its what I live for after all Big Grin ).
The religion is Hindu;
the language is Hindi.

Glad to help,

Jim

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   06-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Biggles Wrote:my advice is to eschew the colorized (Casablanca ) version (yecch!) and see the original.

Got a good chuckle from the Ben Stiller Show last night concerning this. The skit was them doing Woody Allen's version of The Bride of Frankenstein, and one of the lines was Frankenstein's monster saying, "I haven't been that scared since I saw the colorized version of Casablanca." The entire skit was quite funny and I am a big fan of the show; they do great impersonations.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   06-05-2004, 10:22 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just looked it up. Oh my!

And I have to correct you, Ken (its what I live for after all Big Grin ).
The religion is Hindu;
the language is Hindi.

Glad to help,

Jim

Thanks for the correction Jim.

You found out what Lund means in Hindi?

WELL! You can imagine the look on the face of an Indian friend when I told him about Kaye and I stopping in the village of Lund, British Columbia, (we were sailing to Desolation Sound) stepping into the Lund Hotel, and having their famous Lundburger for lunch.

He nearly had a stroke trying not to laugh.

Ken V.
thisisatest   06-06-2004, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Biggles]The first time?! Mark down the date, because you have not lived until you've seen Casablanca! Certainly at least one of the greatest movies ever, and IMHO perhaps THE greatest (since GWTW and Citizen Kane didn't do much for me, sorry to say).

Steve D
I must confess that GWTW and Citizen Kane didn't work for me either. Casablanca, on the other hand, is a keeper, worth a watch at least once a year. While I'm at it, may I also recommend "All The King's Men" with Broderick Crawford. One of his best roles and one damn fine flick.
Tyson   06-07-2004, 04:44 PM
If you love Casablanca, don't miss The Maltese Falcon & Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Two awesome movies in their own right.
Keith the Elder   06-14-2004, 04:00 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just saw Casablanca for the first time. Aside from some technical difficulties between my DVD player and a fairly scratched up NetFlix disc, I have got to say that this is damn near a perfect movie. Acting, characters, story, photography are all stellar. And Bogey is the man!!!

Can ya believe Reagan was the first choice for Rick??

Did you see the remake, it was called "BARB WIRE"

keith the elder
Animagess   06-15-2004, 04:39 PM
I actually preferred Maltese Falcon over Casablanca. Maybe I'm just a film noir fangirl. I also went out and read the book, which was also very entertaining. Does anyone listen to the Ebert commentaries? I find them pretty interesting...

"You gotta tell everyone, Hatcher! Soylent green is PEOPLE!!"

My witty similes will spread across the world like creamy peanut butter.
Pages (2):    1 2