Lake   01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Folks, newbie here. I've been a RJ fan for a couple years starting with the Tomb but never got around to joining the board until now. Since i've finished the latest RJ book, i've decided it's high time to complete the adversary cycle. I've finished The Keep, and The Touch and am just started Reprisal. I was curious if anyone has found the thought of a phone continuously ringing somewhat disturbing? When i first read it, i couldn't get it out of my mind. It's such a simple idea but very unusual. Anyway, sorry if this topic has been brought up before.
Scott Miller   01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Lake Wrote:Hey Folks, newbie here. I've been a RJ fan for a couple years starting with the Tomb but never got around to joining the board until now. Since i've finished the latest RJ book, i've decided it's high time to complete the adversary cycle. I've finished The Keep, and The Touch and am just started Reprisal. I was curious if anyone has found the thought of a phone continuously ringing somewhat disturbing? When i first read it, i couldn't get it out of my mind. It's such a simple idea but very unusual. Anyway, sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

You bet I did. Part of FPW's genius is that he takes some mundane aspect of modern living and turns into something sinister, and if you think the phone ringing is bad, wait til you find out why.

Wlecome to the board, btw.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Lisa   01-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the board. I just reread Reborn and Reprisal, and YES the phone ring was very creepy. I haven't read the books since they were first published and I'm surprised I didn't remember that part. The main part that stuck in my head from the first read was the baby Rasalom talking, um, precociously.

Lisa
KRW   01-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the board! The phone was the hook for me (pun intended)! It was just so creepy. And it's true, a ringing phone must be answered. They've prooven it through scientific study. The percentage for women was nearly 98%! Wink Of course this study was done before caller I.D.

KRW
Kenji   01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the board, Lake.

I didn't remember that part either. I need re-read them.
t4terrific   01-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:You bet I did. Part of FPW's genius is that he takes some mundane aspect of modern living and turns into something sinister, and if you think the phone ringing is bad, wait til you find out why.

Wlecome to the board, btw.

It's probably someone trying to sell Arizona timeshares, or Orlando vacation packages.
Maggers   01-06-2006, 10:12 PM
The ringing phone is a great point to bring up. I loved it and never forgot it. I especially loved that he could pass in front of phone booths (those are becoming a rarity now, aren't they!) and they would start ringing like mad.

Crazy stuff. Scott is right, FPW takes the ordinary and makes it horrifyingly extraordinary.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pleiades   01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Maggers Wrote:The ringing phone is a great point to bring up. I loved it and never forgot it. I especially loved that he could pass in front of phone booths (those are becoming a rarity now, aren't they!) and they would start ringing like mad.

Crazy stuff. Scott is right, FPW takes the ordinary and makes it horrifyingly extraordinary.
Image that today: every time Will Reyerson passes someone with a cell phone, it starts ringing... Well, maybe not so out of the ordinary.

You really only need three things: WD-40, Duct Tape, and a pointy stick. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD-40. If it moves and isn't supposed to, use the Duct Tape. If you want it to move and it doesn't want to, use the pointy stick. The rest of life is easy.
Lisa   01-07-2006, 01:12 AM
Pleiades Wrote:Image that today: every time Will Reyerson passes someone with a cell phone, it starts ringing... Well, maybe not so out of the ordinary.

Actually, that was addressed in the current version. It said something like "So far it hadn't happened on cellphones, but he wasn't taking any chances."
Paul R   01-07-2006, 06:21 AM
I agree - the ringing phone is an image that stuck with me too.
And, in fact, a few months after reading Reprisal, my home phone (well, my parents' home phone) started to ring continuously one day. Of course, there was nothing sinister about this - just a loose wire in one of the wall boxes - but it sure felt sinister!