Pages (2):    1 2
KRW   01-08-2006, 05:48 PM
fpw Wrote:

But the reader knows, and I've managed to slash his/her comfort zone. Which is what thrills and chills and suspense are all about.

Well you achieved it. I can't believe I'm so easily manipulated! Wink

KRW
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-08-2006, 10:11 PM
fpw Wrote:I've done this before and I'll probably do it again. I like to play with the reader's head. In this case I used the hoary cliche of putting a character by chance in just the right place at just the right time to save the damsel in distress. So you're saying, Jesus, Wilson, gimme a break. I've seen this a milion times before. I'm really disappointed.

As the crosscuts are going down, and the damsel is getting closer and closer to death without our hero realizing what he's watching, you're not worried because you've bought into the cliche.

But then things start looking really bad and gradually you're getting worried, wondering when the cliche is gonna kick in, when is our hero gonna suss out what's going down and stop it. Now you want that cliche you sneered at a minute ago.

But he doesn't step in because he doesn't know the damsel is even there, let alone in deadly peril. She dies as he watches, unaware of what's going on.

But the reader knows, and I've managed to slash his/her comfort zone. Which is what thrills and chills and suspense are all about.

Interesting insight into your fictioneering ways, Paul! But the games you play with your readers' heads--might it be dodgeball? Wink
peachynat   01-10-2006, 03:58 PM
fpw Wrote:
I've managed to slash his/her comfort zone. Which is what thrills and chills and suspense are all about.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

You also blindsided me with the Blascoe death. I tend to put Jack on a pedestal and think he makes no mistakes, and then BOOM!!

Way to keep us on our toes!! Crisscross is definitely one of my faves!!
Kenji   01-11-2006, 10:06 AM
peachynat Wrote:SPOILER ALERT!!!

You also blindsided me with the Blascoe death. I tend to put Jack on a pedestal and think he makes no mistakes, and then BOOM!!

Way to keep us on our toes!! Crisscross is definitely one of my faves!!

Yeah, that was a most shocking scene in Crisscross. If this was a movie, I'll jump up from seat!!! :eek:
peachynat   01-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Kenji Wrote:Yeah, that was a most shocking scene in Crisscross. If this was a movie, I'll jump up from seat!!! :eek:

I think if it'd been a movie, I'd have been so shocked that I wouldn't have time to jump from my seat---or even close my eyes!
Kenji   01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
peachynat Wrote:I think if it'd been a movie, I'd have been so shocked that I wouldn't have time to jump from my seat---or even close my eyes!

Ha ha! I know your feelings. Big Grin When I first saw Pet Sematary in a theater, I was just like that!
jaybird   01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Hopfully Paul keeps us on our toes in Harbingers.

:p A good horror story will keep you up at night
Pages (2):    1 2