Maggers   12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Spielberg's "Munich" was terrific. Many questions are raised and none really answered because there are no answers, easy or otherwise. It's a thoughtful and provocative film that will lead to much discussion. Eric Bana is terrific and Spielberg puts together a seemless 1973 world. I highly recommend it.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   02-05-2006, 04:58 AM
Today I went to a theater see "Munich".

I thought "Is this really Spielberg's movie?" Movie was good, and Eric Bana was terrific. Normally, such a political thriller's directors were Costa Gavras, Alan Parker, Oliver Stone.....and now, Spielberg? This is very interesting. But once he made Sindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. So it was particularly no wonder. And, this was very sad movie. This incident happened in 1973. Now 33 years later, world has still racial prejudice problems, and killing each other. Sad

As Maggers said, many questions are raised and none really answered.

One point; The girl who wore red sweater in "Munich", she reminded me of the little girl who wore red clothes in "Sindler's List".

Funny truth: "Munich", this Japanese's pronunciation is Munhen.

Eric Bana's interview
http://www.bcast.co.jp/webevents/yahoo/m...125_1m.asx
This post was last modified: 02-05-2006, 05:31 AM by Kenji.
jimbow8   02-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Kenji Wrote:Today I went to a theater see "Munich".

I thought "Is this really Spielberg's movie?" Movie was good, and Eric Bana was terrific. Normally, such a political thriller's directors were Costa Gavras, Alan Parker, Oliver Stone.....and now, Spielberg? This is very interesting. But once he made Sindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. So it was particularly no wonder. And, this was very sad movie. This incident happened in 1973. Now 33 years later, world has still racial prejudice problems, and killing each other. Sad

As Maggers said, many questions are raised and none really answered.

One point; The girl who wore red sweater in "Munich", she reminded me of the little girl who wore red clothes in "Sindler's List".

Funny truth: "Munich", this Japanese's pronunciation is Munhen.

Eric Bana's interview
http://www.bcast.co.jp/webevents/yahoo/m...125_1m.asx
The German spelling is actually München, which is essentially pronounced moon-kyen. So the Japanese isn't that far off.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
neotank   02-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Spielberg's movies are always good or great...

He's made the best war movie ever(Ryan)... one of the best sci fi movies ever (Close Encounters)... one of the best horror thrillers ever (Jaws)... the best adventure movie ever(Raiders)<my favorite movie of all time...

Hell, I even kinda liked Hook.
LOL, can you tell I'm a fanboy?
KRW   02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
neotank Wrote:Spielberg's movies are always good or great...

He's made the best war movie ever(Ryan)... one of the best sci fi movies ever (Close Encounters)... one of the best horror thrillers ever (Jaws)... the best adventure movie ever(Raiders)<my favorite movie of all time...

Hell, I even kinda liked Hook.
LOL, can you tell I'm a fanboy?

Speilbergs movies have been great. I just wish he had named "Backdraft" something different. It keeps bringing to mind a family of four leaving a mexican food restaurant! Wink Maybe that was Ron Howard! Anybody?
Dave   02-06-2006, 08:35 AM
KRW Wrote:Speilbergs movies have been great. I just wish he had named "Backdraft" something different. It keeps bringing to mind a family of four leaving a mexican food restaurant! Wink Maybe that was Ron Howard! Anybody?
Yeah, Ron Howard.

Dave
Kenji   02-06-2006, 09:48 AM
neotank Wrote:LOL, can you tell I'm a fanboy?

Everybody should be. Wink
Sigokat   11-19-2006, 01:58 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:The German spelling is actually München, which is essentially pronounced moon-kyen. So the Japanese isn't that far off.

The way I hear the Germans pronounce it is "moon-chin"

But there are different dialects in different parts of the country.

I'm going to watch this movie tonight...rented it on DVD, so that's why I'm reviving this long dead thread.

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Ken Valentine   11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
KRW Wrote:Speilbergs movies have been great. I just wish he had named "Backdraft" something different. It keeps bringing to mind a family of four leaving a mexican food restaurant! Wink Maybe that was Ron Howard! Anybody?

To me, his fictional movies are great, but his "historical" movies have a great deal of inacuracies in them. Inaccuracies I just cannot overlook.

And Dave is right. Backdraft was by Ron Howard . . . but I think you already knew that.

Ken V.
Mark S.   11-20-2006, 03:18 AM
I still haven't seen this, though I want to.

Although I remember that when I saw the previews, I was certain that I'd seen this movie before. It was a made-for-HBO movie in the '80s called The Sword of Gideon. Pretty good movie, though it's been ages since I've seen it. I was kind of surprised that it didn't get a mention when Munich came out.