Pages (3): 1 2 3   
rjnix_0329   12-25-2005, 04:34 AM
I just finished the Fifth Harmonic...I think it is one of only a couple FPW's I haven't read yet, and I loved it, absolutely. But, I was suprised by the vivid sex scene in this one. Most of FPW's sexual writings are contained to references and/or the lead up to the actions, like a PG-13 or light R movie. But in this book, it was very descriptive, using lots of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives to describe the act. After getting to the end, it becomes obvious why it was written like that, because it is an integral part of the story, but I still found that part of the writing very much a suprise. Not in a bad way or anything, but it was a departure. Very good writing though...just though I would make an observation.

RJ
Marc   12-26-2005, 01:45 AM
rjnix_0329 Wrote:But, I was surprised by the vivid sex scene in this one.

You've never read SIBS, have you?
stacyzinda123   12-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I love this book. It isn't quite like anything else I've ever read, but it was great. Of course, FPW never writes a stinker so I should have known I'd love it. One thing I enjoyed was the descriptions of scenery and animals in the book. I've always wanted to travel to Central America. It sounds so beautiful.
Blake   12-26-2005, 02:50 PM
This is one of my favorites, too. Chapter 7, in particular, is one of my favorite pieces of Paul's writing ever. There's a wonderful feeling captured in that sequence that's hard to describe; I guess "serenity" would be the closest word I can think of at the moment.

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-26-2005, 04:19 PM
rjnix_0329 Wrote:I just finished the Fifth Harmonic...I think it is one of only a couple FPW's I haven't read yet, and I loved it, absolutely. But, I was suprised by the vivid sex scene in this one. Most of FPW's sexual writings are contained to references and/or the lead up to the actions, like a PG-13 or light R movie. But in this book, it was very descriptive, using lots of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives to describe the act. After getting to the end, it becomes obvious why it was written like that, because it is an integral part of the story, but I still found that part of the writing very much a suprise. Not in a bad way or anything, but it was a departure. Very good writing though...just though I would make an observation.

RJ

I must confess that graphic sex scenes make me feel a little uncomfortable-- feel like a voyeur. If there's an activity of interest that I can participate in, rather than watch, I prefer to jump in. That noted, the HARMONIC scene was very well done. And after all, rjinx--isn't it an author's job to surprise and delight us? Luckily, our own Grandmaster Paul has made of habit of that, in his fiction. Imagine if he were a rote author (and you can think of the names as well as I can.) Board-talk might go something like this:

So wadja think of the new one?

It sucked! Worst than the last, even stupider.

I dunno. Liked the rap about Chinese mustard in Chapter Nine. Dude's been there!

Yeah, but he did it better in the third book. Nicer restaurant, too. They gave better portions.

Not as good fortune-cookie raps, though.

Gotta disagree with you there! When Joker Jane reads her fortune, with the bad guy's knife at her throat, and it says, READ MY NEXT BOOK! I thought that was powerful, man.

I'm a woman, but I don't think you meant anything bad. Who are your other favorite authors?

I could go on with this for awhile...better to STOP. Wink
This post was last modified: 12-26-2005, 04:24 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Lisa   12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Marc B. Wrote:You've never read SIBS, have you?

Or THE KEEP or THE TOMB...

Lisa
rjnix_0329   12-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes, I have read SIBS, The Keep (My favorite FPW, I must say), and the Tomb. Wait, The Tomb? Was there even a sex scene IN The Tomb? From my experience, I can't say that I remember Jack ever being described in that manner. SIBS was different...the whole book was fairly sexual. But yes, I LOVED Fifth Harmonic, and I am not complaining about the scene, I was really congratulating FPW on doing such an amazing job of mixing it up in his writing, keeping us loyal readers on their toes!

EDIT: Upon further review, yes, there is a sex scene in THE TOMB, but I thought it was fairly minor...I think part of what made the one in Harmonic so different is that it was a suprise...I mean, here was the guy talking about dying, trying to complete one act in his life, and then, before you can say 'Captain Carcinoma' things are 'erupting' that weren't before.

RJ
This post was last modified: 12-26-2005, 04:59 PM by rjnix_0329.
KRW   12-26-2005, 10:19 PM
rjnix_0329 Wrote:I just finished the Fifth Harmonic...I think it is one of only a couple FPW's I haven't read yet, and I loved it, absolutely. But, I was suprised by the vivid sex scene in this one. Most of FPW's sexual writings are contained to references and/or the lead up to the actions, like a PG-13 or light R movie. But in this book, it was very descriptive, using lots of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives to describe the act. After getting to the end, it becomes obvious why it was written like that, because it is an integral part of the story, but I still found that part of the writing very much a suprise. Not in a bad way or anything, but it was a departure. Very good writing though...just though I would make an observation.

RJ

It was pretty graphic wasn't it? That's why I read it three times! Wink

KRW
rjnix_0329   12-27-2005, 02:02 AM
KRW,

Heh, yes, I guess you could look at it that way...God knows I did Big Grin.

RJ
fpw   12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
On the whole, I find sex scenes superfluous and too often gratuitous. We all know how it's done -- an assumption, but a safe one, I think. I don't follow my characters into the bathroom either because (an even safer assumption) we're all familiar with human excretory functions.

So I don't see the need to go beyond the bedroom door unless it serves a purpose. Say, if a character's penchant for a certain kink will have an impact on the story, then it's no longer superfluous -- it's part of the story.

Sibs needed the graphic sex scenes -- especially since the opening scene is echoed later on. In T5H, Maya was reaching for something beyond an orgasm, so I couldn't fade out.

As with everything else in fiction, each story dictates what's needed to tell it best.

But one of the best reasons to avoid writing sex scenes is their tendency to tinge the prose a deep purple. Writers keep trying to turn coupling into something cosmic. I may have felt the earth move, but the universe has never sundered around me and dropped me through a throbbing lava of sensation and release that left me washed up limp and damp on the shores of the sea of ecstacy. (Did I mix enough metaphors there? Anyone want to add more?)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Pages (3): 1 2 3