mores   12-14-2005, 08:03 AM
hello everyone,

first post, so please excuse my dumb question:

HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH mr. jack repairman?

i checked the chronology, i checked the release dates, and i have no idea what book to read first.

also, there seem to be 2 different books available under the same title, different cycles, one cycle goes into the other etc.

i have absolutely no clue.

could someone please give me a short RJ-for-dummies answer like "start with this, then read this, then you'll know all you need to know" ?

thank you.
Dave   12-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Welcome mores.

Start with The Tomb. And if RJ is what you want then next comes Legacies.

Conspiracies, All The Rage, Hosts, The Haunted Air, Gateways, Crisscross, and then Infernal and you'll be all caught up.

Now, moving away from Jack, we have the Adversary Cycle. The Tomb is a part of this, but can be read as a stand alone. The other stand alones are The Keep and The Touch.

The Keep will give you a bit of background for what happens to Jack in his adventures, but does not involve Jack in any way. (But is a damn fine book anyway).

The last part of the Adversary Cycle is three books. Reborn, Reprisal and Nightworld. Together they form a sequel of sorts to The Keep.

Jack is in Nightworld, but it was written before all of those listed above (excepting The Tomb). The new RJ stories are set before Nightworld. So Nighworld is going to be re-written to accomodate the events in these new books. So my suggestion is hold off that book until that revised Nightworld appears.

More info can be found on the FAQ.

Hope this helps.

Dave
mores   12-14-2005, 10:13 AM
okay, i think i got it:

the tomb -> Conspiracies -> All The Rage -> Hosts -> The Haunted Air -> Gateways -> Crisscross

Smile thank you thank you. heard so much about RJ, and i want to fill my educational void in this regard.

now my NEXT problem Smile is: where do i get these books in digital format.
fictionwise and diesel-ebooks only has "hosts" and "artifact", mobipocket has none, ereader.com has "hosts" and "gateways", but i can't find "the tomb", THE book needed to get into the whole thing.

does anyone know of a reliable ebookstore that has the repairman jack series?
Marc   12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
mores Wrote:okay, i think i got it:

the tomb -> Conspiracies -> All The Rage -> Hosts -> The Haunted Air -> Gateways -> Crisscross

Between "The Tomb" and "Conspiracies" comes "Legacies".

Quote:does anyone know of a reliable ebookstore that has the repairman jack series?

As for this question, well, to my knowledge none of Paul's work is in digital format so you're more educated than me. Maybe someone else can help you.
Noelie   12-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I always tell people to read The Keep first, even though it isn't technically a Repairman Jack book. I can't imagine reading RJ without having the background knowledge that's in The Keep.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
peachynat   12-14-2005, 04:24 PM
I definitely think the Adversary Cycle needs to be read. It provides alot of information and background that will help understand what Jack is actually dealing with.

Welcome to the forum 'mores'... you have many good books ahead of you!! Enjoy!
mores   12-15-2005, 08:23 AM
thank you for your welcomes, and your tips on how to get started.

"the keep" ... this might be a good idea, since it's available in ebook format. i guess it is also a question of genre, because i've been reading thriller/crime/suspense novels for the last few years, the only exception to this being harry potter and the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

okay, i think i'm all set to start my adventures into the f. paul wilson world.

Smile

cheers
daniel mores
fpw   12-15-2005, 08:47 AM
mores Wrote:"the keep" ... this might be a good idea, since it's available in ebook format.

I wasn't aware of this. Do you have a link?

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
mores   12-15-2005, 09:34 AM
DOH!

uhm, i googled for
Quote:"the keep" ebook wilson
and got a link to http://ebooks.palm.com/author/detail/3211 which DOESN'T give you "the keep" as an ebook, but rather tells us how great "the keep" is so you buy "hosts" and "gateways". :confused:

wouldn't it be great if you could get an ebookstore to offer the whole series? or are ebooks not worth the effort, in your opinion?
fpw   12-15-2005, 10:54 AM
mores Wrote:wouldn't it be great if you could get an ebookstore to offer the whole series? or are ebooks not worth the effort, in your opinion?

The publisher gets those rights in the contract. What they do with them is their call.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.